Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Extended Vehicle Protection... by mistake? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651687)

edbiology 10-13-2012 06:41 PM

Extended Vehicle Protection... by mistake?

Today I received a letter from BMW. It thanks me for purchasing the extended vehicle protection, but I didn't. The mail includes the verification card, the contract that prints the expiration date ( 7 years) and expiration mileage (100,000 miles), and the contract purchase price ( $4,295).

Is it something my dealership messed up? Or does BMW send this letter out routinely?

mscamp 10-13-2012 07:01 PM

Hi Ed, I just purchased the 7/100k for $3400. Your price is a little high. Maybe the dealer is taking an upcharge.

Do you have your vehicle purchase paperwork?

edbiology 10-13-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscamp (Post 7132465)
Hi Ed, I just purchased the 7/100k for $3400. Your price is a little high. Maybe the dealer is taking an upcharge.

Do you have your vehicle purchase paperwork?

Hi MSCAMP, I have checked my purchase paperwork, I did not pay for the extended vehicle protection.

I always have this impression that BMW extended warranty is 2 extended years, 6 year/100K total, and is about $2000 dollars. Is the 7 years something new?

dudley07726 10-14-2012 05:17 AM

I have a 2006 Lexus SC430 for which I paid $1800 for an 8 yr/75k extended warranty from lexus directly. I don't put much mileage on this car. I only purchased it just in case I ever have problems with the convertible top. This is the first time I have ever purchased an extended warranty for anything. Wow, BMW sure charges alot for their warranty.
I don't think I will be buying one for my 2012 X3.

lbjgh 10-14-2012 06:21 AM

I was sent a similar notice from BMW Canada. They offered a discount of $450 off of the 7yr/200K kms warranty.

Quite frankly, if I get burnt with an expensive repair outside of the 4yr/80K warranty I just won't ever buy a BMW product again.

I bought a few new GM products in my past and now I'll never (ever) buy their junk again. I've got a couple of kids and they won't ever buy GM either (well that is if they want me to help them out). Companies reap what they sow.

mscamp 10-14-2012 06:38 AM

I've had a couple of expensive repairs with our just traded in 2006 X3 with 82k miles.

ALL cars will have expensive repairs at different times. Some more than others.

The only car that I have had very good luck with was a 1990 Toyota Camry that we bought new. 120k and the only thing we did to it was a timing belt. They don't make them like that anymore.

I will always have a BMW partly because of the quality of the vehicle and partly because of the outstanding dealership we have here in Peoria, Illinois.

leewtech 10-14-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Today I received a letter from BMW
Are you sure it is authentic? Check the fine print and make sure it is not an marketing/sales SPAM type thing.

Contact your dealer? If it is too good to be true it probably is.

lbjgh 10-14-2012 07:39 AM

I got 225K kms from my Ohio built 2004 accord with only brakes and oil changes. Ditto with my wife's Ontario built acura with currently 180K.

I'll go back to acura/honda if the bmw lets me down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscamp (Post 7133036)
...snip..
The only car that I have had very good luck with was a 1990 Toyota Camry that we bought new. 120k and the only thing we did to it was a timing belt. They don't make them like that anymore.

edbiology 10-14-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbjgh (Post 7133021)
I was sent a similar notice from BMW Canada. They offered a discount of $450 off of the 7yr/200K kms warranty.

Quite frankly, if I get burnt with an expensive repair outside of the 4yr/80K warranty I just won't ever buy a BMW product again.

I bought a few new GM products in my past and now I'll never (ever) buy their junk again. I've got a couple of kids and they won't ever buy GM either (well that is if they want me to help them out). Companies reap what they sow.

I feel the same. It should be the company's responsibility to make sure their products are durable. Losing customer and reputation should be the costly punishment if their product break easily. The whole extended warranty thing today they try to sell with everything is twisted thinking and is like a big scam. Customer should not be the one to worry and pay for the risk.

I have a toyota corolla with 230k miles/ 370k kilometers today. I drive it like a tank, barely stop at bumps, ran out of gas and stop on roadside more than 5 times, forgot about oil change dues all the time, wife had two collision on it, and it still drives well. The most pricy repair(besides collisions) was some smog converter pipe that cost $400 USD at about 210K.

edbiology 10-14-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leewtech (Post 7133049)
Are you sure it is authentic? Check the fine print and make sure it is not an marketing/sales SPAM type thing.

Contact your dealer? If it is too good to be true it probably is.

Yea judging by the contract letter and terms booklet, it is sent from BMW. I don't want to call the dealer, haha, it's nice to have free extended warranty without paying a dime due to their mistake. I know they probably will find out, but what if they dont!

My dealer has been acting unprofessional. During the negotiation we agreed the APR to be 4.79 (I didn't care cause I knew I will pay off soon), but upon signing the contract it printed 3.79, and a couple weeks after BMW finance sent me a letter saying there was a mistake that my real APR is 3.54...

raybh 10-27-2012 03:21 PM

You Win

You are a winner as the rate is lower at 3.54%, so you pay less interest!!:)