Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   6 Series DIY (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Engine Oil level indicator not showing oil measurement readings (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651758)

fletch10 10-14-2012 07:49 AM

Engine Oil level indicator not showing oil measurement readings

When i go through I-DRIVE to SERVICE to SERVICE REQUIREMENTS to ENGINE OIL LEVEL...the message always reads "No measurement possible at this time"...please help....i've tried it at all times of the day, before, during and after driving...and still nothing...thanks in advance for any assistance..

Yorgi 10-14-2012 08:07 PM

The car has to be on level ground and the oil needs to be warm - ie after a 6 mile drive minimum. Also the engine must be running. You can check it while driving too.

fletch10 10-15-2012 07:34 PM

Thanks Yorgi, I tried and it didn't work. Is there a reset button or sensor somewhere that I need to replace/reset ? I just did my first oil change (thanks to your instructions :).. Thanks for your help

Yorgi 10-15-2012 10:08 PM

That is strange. Maybe the oil level sensor is bad or gummed up? It's located right beside the oil filter and also measures oil level, oil temp and pressure. Are you seeing the oil temp go up after a 10 minute drive?

Here are the TIS instructions for replacing the oil level sensor, it goes for $166 at Tischer. I would disconnect the sensor plug first and spray some contact cleaner or WD40 in there. Then I would pull the sensor and clean it, and reinstall to see if that helps before buying a new one. I think a bad sensor would also show up if you did a code scan.

Picture of the sensor. (#6, also order the gasket if you need a new one)

Well you are in luck! While looking at the EKT just now I realized we have a manual dipstick on the 650i. Here is the post with a picture.

fritchard 10-21-2012 12:39 PM

Is this on my (UK) 645 too...I'm sure I've seen one under there on the opposite side?

Yorgi 10-21-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fritchard (Post 7148634)
Is this on my (UK) 645 too...I'm sure I've seen one under there on the opposite side?

The '04 and '05 645s have a standard oil dipstick with the red/yellow ring handle at front of the engine bay. The '06 and up 650s do not have a dipstick.

What most modern BMW owners have been lamenting (at least the petrolheads) has been BMW's decision to eliminate the fail-proof oil dipstick and the switch exclusively to an electronic oil level system.

What I found the other day while looking at the TIS for post #4 was a "secret" oil dipstick at the back of the engine near the firewall on the 650 with a black stealth unconventional looking handle. Not even your service adviser at the dealer knows about this from what I've experienced. I would guess BMW mechanics will know about the stick but most owners do not.

Mulchman 10-22-2012 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorgi (Post 7148707)
The '04 and '05 645s have a standard oil dipstick with the red/yellow ring handle at front of the engine bay. The '06 and up 650s do not have a dipstick.

What most modern BMW owners have been lamenting (at least the petrolheads) has been BMW's decision to eliminate the fail-proof oil dipstick and the switch exclusively to an electronic oil level system.

What I found the other day while looking at the TIS for post #4 was a "secret" oil dipstick at the back of the engine near the firewall on the 650 with a black stealth unconventional looking handle. Not even your service adviser at the dealer knows about this from what I've experienced. I would guess BMW mechanics will know about the stick but most owners do not.

I have been wondering what it was since I've been told we had no oil stick. I figured it was tranny fluid stick and had intended to test that theory when I do the fluid. Good to know it's oil. Thanks again Yorgi :thumbup: