Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   E60 - Aux retrofit DIY - Saved 250 bucks (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651959)

ankurg09 10-15-2012 09:20 AM

E60 - Aux retrofit DIY - Saved 250 bucks
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys , First of all - Thanks to this forum & the users who have posted their valuable experience here. :thumbup:

As I posted earlier My CCC had died and I save a lot money by doing a DIY replacement. Now in order for my CCC to work the dealer had to Code it and when he did update the software I automatically got an option for AUX in my idrive menu. I asked the dealer to install the AUX part as well , Dealer quoted me $250 for the job including part and since they did not have the part in stock they rescheduled my appointment for the retrofit. I was a little skeptical on paying them $250 for the AUX, so I searched this forum and found a very useful PDF file (attached).

From there it was a piece of cake. I ordered the part from amazon. Received it next day. I already knew how to disassemble the front dash from my experience in replacing CCC.
Removed CCC , took out the big connector on the back of the CCC , removed the black interlock and added my Aux cable with the PIN numbers as specified in the PDF. Tested It & it worked like a charm.

Now i took the glove box apart - 4 screws from the bottom of the glove box and 2 plastic (screw holder kind of thing ) from inside the glove box. routed the cable from CCC to the OEM location of AUX drilled holes and was done. there is a plastic cover on the underside where the AUX is installed, I took that out to easily route the AUX part.

Sound Quality : I have heard a lot of people saying that the SQ is not as good with an aux cable and people have recommended removing the capacitors from the wire. I did not do that. Honestly the SQ is really good. I played same songs both on CD and AUX and did not notice any difference in SQ or volume.

Some people have complained about the buzzzing noise from AUX , I noticed that only when my phone or Ipod was connected to a charger. If i remove charger and just play the songs , the buzzing is not there at all.

Money I spent - $80 on the part
about 40 minutes on labor.


Good luck to anyone who is planning to do this. If you have any questions let me know I will try to help you out as much as i can .

Thanks:thumbup:

PS: 4 corner Pins are numbered on the black connector. My Connector had 3 existing wires in it probably from the changer.

lucasszy 10-15-2012 10:04 AM

It still amazes me that this wasnt a standard feature on the 5 series. you'd expect it to be, or at least I would.

Definitely going to do this.

Can anyone chime in if the dealer is willing to do the programming for free, or about how much will they charge?

Cheers

tmartin000 10-15-2012 11:41 AM

This is an excellent thread!

Curious though.....what does it take to get the USB connection in addition?

ankurg09 10-15-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucasszy (Post 7135166)
It still amazes me that this wasnt a standard feature on the 5 series. you'd expect it to be, or at least I would.

Definitely going to do this.

Can anyone chime in if the dealer is willing to do the programming for free, or about how much will they charge?

Cheers

I doubt they would do it for free but you can definitely ask since activating AUX is a pretty simple task. My Dealer Quoted me $250 for the part and install. deduct $80 for the part installation comes up to be $170. Now the manual says installation time the dealer should charge is 1hr which would be about $120. So coding comes to be about $50. IMHO They should just do it for Free.

ankurg09 10-15-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmartin000 (Post 7135361)
This is an excellent thread!

Curious though.....what does it take to get the USB connection in addition?

there are two ways I know of

1> Most expensive - CIC Retrofit - $2500 +

2> Least Expensive - Dension Gateway 500 $450+

I personally Don't know of any other way. Did try searching google but couldn't find anything. will post here if i find any good DIY on that.
:thumbup:

lucasszy 10-15-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankurg09 (Post 7135675)
I doubt they would do it for free but you can definitely ask since activating AUX is a pretty simple task. My Dealer Quoted me $250 for the part and install. deduct $80 for the part installation comes up to be $170. Now the manual says installation time the dealer should charge is 1hr which would be about $120. So coding comes to be about $50. IMHO They should just do it for Free.


Now if I got the odbII and usb cable along with NCS expert, would I be able to do this coding myself? Seems totally worth it for only $100 for the cable.

Cheers

txag_530i 10-15-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucasszy (Post 7135755)
Now if I got the odbII and usb cable along with NCS expert, would I be able to do this coding myself? Seems totally worth it for only $100 for the cable.

Cheers

Yes, you can do the coding yourself just like I did.

lucasszy 10-15-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txag_530i (Post 7135825)
Yes, you can do the coding yourself just like I did.

Since Im most likely going to get the cable, just deciding on the seller, can you post any pertinent info on what parameters to change to get it to work?

With self coding also allow me to get the CD player to play MP3 cd's?

Thanks

Lucas

txag_530i 10-15-2012 03:56 PM

Basic steps:

Add the options to the vehicle order (+NAUX and +KMP3, I think) in the CAS and LMA modules and then program the CCC or M-ASK.

http://www.bmwcoding.com/forum.php has a lot of information.

lucasszy 10-15-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txag_530i (Post 7135898)
Basic steps:

Add the options to the vehicle order (+NAUX and +KMP3, I think) in the CAS and LMA modules and then program the CCC or M-ASK.

http://www.bmwcoding.com/forum.php has a lot of information.

just found the bmwcoding forum (its awesome)

Any ideas on the cable vendors?

They range from about $30 all the way to $120 for what looks like the same cable.

Should I just get one of the cheap ones from ebay, and go from there?

Thanks in advance

Lucas

ankurg09 10-16-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucasszy (Post 7135925)
just found the bmwcoding forum (its awesome)

Any ideas on the cable vendors?

They range from about $30 all the way to $120 for what looks like the same cable.

Should I just get one of the cheap ones from ebay, and go from there?

Thanks in advance

Lucas

I ordered one from ebay because I needed it quickly. Haven't tried it out yet. I would recommend to get the one recommended on the BMWCoding forums.

:thumbup:

ankurg09 10-16-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txag_530i (Post 7135898)
Basic steps:

Add the options to the vehicle order (+NAUX and +KMP3, I think) in the CAS and LMA modules and then program the CCC or M-ASK.

http://www.bmwcoding.com/forum.php has a lot of information.

I believe +KMP3 Is only to activate playback of MP3 in CD player. To activate Aux you need add +NAUX to Vehicle Order ( VO ) and code whole car and job done... or just find AUX_IN and change to aktiv

AUX_IN
aktiv

Following threads would help you understand
http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....put-NCS-Expert.
http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread.php?1148-aux-in
:thumbup:

lucasszy 10-16-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankurg09 (Post 7137245)
I believe +KMP3 Is only to activate playback of MP3 in CD player. To activate Aux you need add +NAUX to Vehicle Order ( VO ) and code whole car and job done... or just find AUX_IN and change to aktiv

AUX_IN
aktiv

Following threads would help you understand
http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....put-NCS-Expert.
http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread.php?1148-aux-in
:thumbup:

Many thanks!

Can I just say that I love that these forums exist. I've benefited in the same way from forums for my recently totalled 08 VW Rabbit (the cash out let me buy the 530i) as well as the forums for an 08 Buick Enclave (ended up suing GM under the lemon law) and after that the 08 Toyota Sequoia (which we love and havent had a single problem).

Thanks a ton!

Lucas

Veterans 03-30-2014 05:40 PM

Help me
 
I did the Aux instalation and it's ready in my M5 but the challenge that I'm facing that how to get the software to code it, I went to workshops in Dubai and they don't know how to do it.

Help plz

bym007 04-01-2014 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veterans (Post 8245771)
I did the Aux instalation and it's ready in my M5 but the challenge that I'm facing that how to get the software to code it, I went to workshops in Dubai and they don't know how to do it.

Help plz

Hello from Jeddah. In my opinion you will find it strangely hard in this part of the world, to find mechanics experienced or motivated to add such options to the program. Its better to start reading up on www.bmwcoding.com and do the coding yourself with the right cable.

I have purchased the cable and looking to add MP3 options to my CD player, as soon as time allows.

Ta!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms