Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Bmw 550i m sport vs range rover sport SC (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652072)

Dak74 10-15-2012 08:43 PM

Bmw 550i m sport vs range rover sport SC

Hey members need some help deciding on a new vehicle 2013 550i m sport or range rover sport supercharged. I know thier two different vehicles but I like them both. Has anyone owned a rrs supercharged and a 550i what were your thoughts on the two.

Btw I am planing to lease the rrs or the BMW
Thanks

Alan L. 10-15-2012 08:48 PM

If you like visiting your dealer every month then go with the RR. Not sure if anythings changed with them but I know in the past they are horrible when it comes to reliability. Its ashame because they are sweet looking suvs

alewifebp 10-15-2012 09:13 PM

I saw the new Range Rover at an event, and it sure is sweet looking and extremely luxurious inside.

The consensus I've heard about Range Rovers is that they will need a LOT of service, and it will be expensive.

RajG 10-15-2012 10:33 PM

My brother had a Range Rover supercharged (not sport). He liked it, but didn't love it and he ended up only keeping it for a year. One thing he absolutely hated was the handling and I can't imagine the sport will be that much better. It's worth keeping in mind that they are changing the range rover sport in 2014.

Raj

Decboy 10-15-2012 11:09 PM

I just know that the RR brand ownership has been passed around. They were once owned by Ford but now owned by an overseas auto company, Tata Group. This may explain the QC and overall reliability of their cars. I believe the engine is still made by Jaguar. Yet the brand is still so expensive. I too like the look of the RR sport. However, I think it is overpriced just for the brand name built up by many celebrities. I know for sure Kobe has a RR.

solstice 10-15-2012 11:38 PM

Have you ruled out the 2013 Cayenne GTS and the Audi S6? I would pick those to evaluate against the 550xi instead of the RR.

John NY 10-16-2012 03:18 AM

I like the look of the RR Sport, but its reliability issues will keep me from buying one. I know too many people with these cars who regret their decision. Yes, things are covered under warranty, but you still have to deal with having to have it towed to the dealer, loaners, etc.

Leslierc 10-16-2012 05:34 AM

Have you considered a 550ix MSport? The RR is indeed sexy as hell, but I would be concerned over reliability. However, I also agree with the poster here who recommended the Cayenne GTS if it's a sporty SUV you're desiring.

dunderhi 10-16-2012 05:58 AM

The newly redesigned 13 Range Rover is 700lbs lighter than the 2012 RR due to the switch to an aluminum chassis. Acceleration, handling, and fuel efficiency should all be significantly improved. :thumbup:

Needsdecaf 10-16-2012 06:17 AM

First, the RR Sport and RR should not be compared. They are very different vehicles. The sport does not indicate a chassis tuning, etc., it is a completely different vehicle. So when people say that the sport cannot be much better than the stock RR, yes, it is.

Second, the RR Sport is a lot cheaper than the RR. By about $20k or so. You would not cross shop the two.

Third, the RR Sport is cheaper for a reason. The interior is pretty low rent for a vehicle that starts in the $50's and can be optioned (Supercharged) into the low $80's.

Fourth, Reliability has been improving under the Tata ownership. Not getting worse.

In the end, I'd pass. Unless you like getting about 10 MPG and living with a low rent interior.

highyo 10-16-2012 12:56 PM

i had a 2008 RR sport HSE and i never once had to take it in for anything other than normal servicing. it was as solid as a rock (much more so than my e60 or F10 for that matter) and would whole heartedly recommend it. big, powerful, holds lots of stuff.

but it's a truck. make no mistake. it can climb rocks and go through mud and is significantly over engineered for what many people use it for. i would put a RR or RRS up against a hummer any day. still, wont be like an F10 550 re driving dynamics

but as far as reliability goes? that should not be a concern

ish 10-16-2012 01:45 PM

I have had my 2005 Range Rover since new, it has a BMW engine and many BMW parts. The RR now has 69k on it and it has been THE BEST vehicle I've ever owned. As a matter of fact, every time I got in the truck for the first year I started it and said to myself "I'm not worthy"
My RR has never been in the shop for non-scheduled repairs / maintenance. Whatever repairs needed were done at these times and covered under the original or extended warranty.
If you have never had a RR you just have no idea how good it is. Around town it behaves like a limo, sooo comfortable, on the highway it lowers itself and will cruise all day between 70 - 90mph getting 21-23 mpg. Then the best is offroad, it is a complete animal, I often have it on the beach over difficult sand trails and thru water 30+ inches deep.

The newer Jag engined RR are suppose to be even better, but I love my RR too much to trade her in.

I have little experience with the RR sport, but I felt the need to correct some comments made about the RR.

swajames 10-16-2012 03:02 PM

I have the full size Range Rover HSE with the Luxury, Silver and Towing packages. I echo ish's comments above, I really like mine. It's been a phenomenal vehicle - very comfortable, great both on and off road, easily able to tow my boat at my lakehouse and it has a fabulous interior - it's like driving Blenheim Palace. Reliability and build quality so far has been just fine. While the car is now Jaguar powered, the L322 RR has its origins at BMW - the L322 was designed under BMW ownership. Top Gear Magazine describe it as "It may very well be the best luxury car in the world. It's certainly the best SUV - bar none". As others note, the new L405 redesign is lighter but the outgoing car is still a fantastic vehicle. I've got a few different cars, but if I could only have just one it would probably be this one.

GermanRoots 10-16-2012 09:20 PM

I can't speak for the RR models, but I have owned (wife's car) a 2010 Land Rover LR4 for two years and LOVE IT! It drives like no other SUV and I will replace it with a newer one in due time. I was very concerned with reliability at first, but no longer have that concern. That being said, as I approach the end of the warranty I will sell it and get a new one. The air suspension is costly, each airbag is roughly $2200 to replace.

Stealth.Pilot 10-17-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alewifebp (Post 7136496)
I saw the new Range Rover at an event, and it sure is sweet looking and extremely luxurious inside.

The consensus I've heard about Range Rovers is that they will need a LOT of service, and it will be expensive.

My brother has had a Range Rover Sport SC since 2006 and he says it has been less hassle than his previous BMW 330Ci

miamiboyca 10-17-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunderhi (Post 7136962)
The newly redesigned 13 Range Rover is 700lbs lighter than the 2012 RR due to the switch to an aluminum chassis. Acceleration, handling, and fuel efficiency should all be significantly improved. :thumbup:

+1 :thumbup:

From what I have read, there is going to be a major redesign starting with the RR in 2014 and the Sport expected the year after. If that is the case, your RR Sport is going to look/be very dated. Just my 2 cents.

swajames 10-17-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miamiboyca (Post 7139979)
+1 :thumbup:

From what I have read, there is going to be a major redesign starting with the RR in 2014 and the Sport expected the year after. If that is the case, your RR Sport is going to look/be very dated. Just my 2 cents.

Design wise, the latest RR (L405) is really an evolution of the current L322 model. The major changes are under the skin and inside. It will likely be much the same with the RRS. This isn't going to a case like the Jaguar XJ where the redesigned model bore absolutely no resemblance to the classic XJ it replaced. The RRS redesign is not going to be any more substantial than the L405 compared to the L322.

miamiboyca 10-17-2012 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by swajames (Post 7140019)
Design wise, the latest RR (L405) is really an evolution of the current L322 model. The major changes are under the skin and inside. It will likely be much the same with the RRS. This isn't going to a case like the Jaguar XJ where the redesigned model bore absolutely no resemblance to the classic XJ it replaced. The RRS redesign is not going to be any more substantial than the L405 compared to the L322.

Looking at this review and some pics, it looks to be enough to make the older version look dated. Again - just my 2 cents. One thing is a refresh of the line, another is major changes under the skin in addition to new body style (although not completely different)

solstice 10-17-2012 11:03 AM

Unreliable, expensive, heavy, inefficient shape, inefficient thirsty engines, looking and feeling 20 years old at the 10 year mark, poor resale value. That's a summary of the common perception of Land Rover ( that I share ). It seems like they are slowly digging themselves out of this hole which is great news. We need more good unique relatively independent car brands and it's nice to see classic brands getting a new lease on life. However I'm not ready yet to gamble that all the old negatives have really been addressed independent of how good current owners rate the cars. It takes a long time to rebuild a reputation once it's really tarnished.

swajames 10-17-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miamiboyca (Post 7140102)
Looking at this review and some pics, it looks to be enough to make the older version look dated. Again - just my 2 cents. One thing is a refresh of the line, another is major changes under the skin in addition to new body style (although not completely different)

I don't believe that's an official pic, it's an artist's rendering. They tend to be wide of the mark as we all know.

miamiboyca 10-17-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swajames (Post 7140165)
I don't believe that's an official pic, it's an artist's rendering. They tend to be wide of the mark as we all know.

Agreed. The article is a good read. The OP should take a look through it. I know it would be enough to bug me :-)

swajames 10-17-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miamiboyca (Post 7140188)
Agreed. The article is a good read. The OP should take a look through it. I know it would be enough to bug me :-)

Do you have the link? I'd like to take a look too.

At Law 10-17-2012 12:40 PM

I had a 2008 Range Rover Sport HSE for about 2.5 years.

It was a great looking vehicle and drove fairly nicely, however, at the end of the day, it was a very heavy, underpowered SUV which was not overly exciting to drive.

The Supercharged would have been significantly more powerful and more enjoyable to drive.

As far as reliability, I traded it in before the factory warranty was to expire.

I can't say I had an unusually large amount of issues, however, there were a lot of issues that were never corrected and I eventually just looked the other way. E.g., radio never received any AM/FM reception (always had to use Sirus or CD's; a fair amount of interior rattles; electronic parking brake would lock up on a regular basis (one time stranding me and burning the right rear brake drum until it was bright red and scorched); etc.

When the dealer advised that the electronic braking issue would have cost me approximately $4,500.00 had it not been under warranty, my mind was made that I would not own it out of warranty.

I looked into extended warranties and the average quote was around $7,500 - $8,500 for two additional years. This lead me to believe the claim rate is very high and I did not want to have to deal with future issues.

The resale was actually pretty good since my miles were low and it was black and black and in brand new condition.

The RRS and the F-10 are completely different vehicles and designed that way.

The one nice thing about the RRS is its ability to haul and tow, if needed.

I don't think I will be buying another RRS anytime soon, however, I wouldn't completely strike them off in the future. Especially if the 2014 body change is well done.

Just keep it in warranty if you do decide to buy one.

Dak74 10-18-2012 09:12 AM

Thanks for everybody's feedback info !

miamiboyca 10-18-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swajames (Post 7140200)
Do you have the link? I'd like to take a look too.

I can seem to find it - but if you google 2014 Range Rover Sport - lots of options come up. Even some spy photos.

One more thing to ad - Normally getting a first model year of any car is not ideal, I suspect with one that has LR history - is probably a bad idea.

Let us know what you get!