Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   BMW Tire & Wheel Protection Program (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652234)

TripleDrawLow 10-16-2012 01:01 PM

BMW Tire & Wheel Protection Program

I live in NYC and wanted to know if it is worth it to get T&W protection. I am getting the 3.5 Prem with stock rims. I imagine if i got the sport package i would need it because of the low profile tires. I am guessing/hoping the stock rims/tires are strong enough to handle well in the city. Thoughst?

ard 10-16-2012 03:26 PM

Would be helpful to know the price....

How many tires and rims have you broken on your current car?

wmcilwain 10-16-2012 04:25 PM

The general consensus on this forum is that it is worth it. I recommend the one from BMW financial services (although it is underwritten by some other company ). The new 5 series with 19"+ rims and Goodyear tires apparently blows tires about every 1,000 miles!

ard 10-16-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmcilwain (Post 7138301)
The general consensus on this forum is that it is worth it. !

I'll disagree.

The only way it 'pencils out' is:

if you stupidly believe all tires on BMWs are "un-patchable"

and

you buy tires from BMW at their retail prices.

To say that the "new 5 series with 19"+ rims and Goodyear tires apparently blows tires about every 1,000 miles!" is [edit] well breathtaking.

Here is how to handle the issue:

1. Dont buy the BMW package
2. DON'T drive on runflats once you get a warning. IMMEDIATELY ut air in it and get to a tire repair location
3. Have the repair patched.
4. When you get your new car, go to a big tire chain and ASK if you can buy a road hazard plan for these 4 brand new tires. Might cost $150.
5. From now on, when you replace tires get the road hazard plan.

Over the next 50k miles you will come out ahead.

wmcilwain 10-16-2012 05:40 PM

I did exaggerate the frequency, but check out this sorrowful thread of f10 owners with Goodyear LS2's:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=518954

Tire technology is changing rapidly, and I don't believe many of the tire / vehicle combinations have been thoroughly tested.

ard 10-16-2012 06:45 PM

Right.

Why would you BUY insurnace to cover an inherent MANUFACTURING defect??? I didnt read through all 11 pages of that nonsense... almost as useless as an oil thread! different wheels, tires, warranties...some replaced, some not covered...just an incoherent mess.

The truth is that IF there is a defect in Goodyear LS2 tires that causes sidewall bubbles, you dont need a 'BMW Road Hazard warranty' to protect yourself- the warranty from goodyear covers it.

Back to THIS thread: Op is asking about 19" 50 profile tires...

porshah 10-16-2012 07:03 PM

I decided to get the insurance for our new X5. I look at it as pre buying my tires, I plan on putting a nail in my tires at least once a year.

alphaod 10-16-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porshah (Post 7138600)
I plan on putting a nail in my tires at least once a year.

:tsk:

porshah 10-16-2012 07:59 PM

^^^ ?

alphaod 10-16-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porshah (Post 7138707)
^^^ ?

You said you plan on putting nails in your tires every year.

That's like me saying I'll have my car stolen every year, so I can claim it lost under comprehensive insurance.

ard 10-16-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porshah (Post 7138600)
I decided to get the insurance for our new X5. I look at it as pre buying my tires, I plan on putting a nail in my tires at least once a year.

Spread it around...use drywall screws occasionally, and just do one tire every 10-16 weeks, you should be fine.

smuggymba 10-16-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmcilwain (Post 7138301)
The general consensus on this forum is that it is worth it. I recommend the one from BMW financial services (although it is underwritten by some other company ). The new 5 series with 19"+ rims and Goodyear tires apparently blows tires about every 1,000 miles!

$140 or so for road hazard protection from Discount Tire. No blowouts in 2 years.

alphaod 10-16-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7138752)
Spread it around...use drywall screws occasionally, and just do one tire every 10-16 weeks, you should be fine.

Funny you should mention drywall screws, I drove with one of those in my tire for 20,000 miles and never had an issue with tire pressure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smuggymba (Post 7138792)
$140 or so for road hazard protection from Discount Tire. No blowouts in 2 years.

If I recall with Discount Tire they just register the road hazard with your car VIN right? Not with what tire is on the car. When it's time for new shoes, simply buy tires and install them not at Discount Tire and the insurance "transfers" to the new tires.

gresch 10-16-2012 08:45 PM

I haven't found the need for it and I've owned 4 X5's since 2001 living in Los Angeles and NY/NJ/LI.

jashearer 10-17-2012 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7138752)

I thought you were more of a stand up guy than that.

This kind of crap drives me nuts.

Jay

leewtech 10-17-2012 05:56 AM

Tire/Wheel Insurance complete profit for the $tealerships.

Ard hit the nail on the head...or the sidewall...ugh!

ard 10-17-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jashearer (Post 7139329)

I thought you were more of a stand up guy than that.

This kind of crap drives me nuts.

Jay

Tongue in cheek.

World is full of scumbags, some post, others quietly go about their D bagginess...ruining it for the rest of us.

I know a few SAs, and the stories they tell about lying and conniving customers are ...disappointing.

jashearer 10-17-2012 11:50 AM

Good to hear, and I completely agree.

Jay

ndabunka 10-17-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaod (Post 7138794)
If I recall with Discount Tire they just register the road hazard with your car VIN right? Not with what tire is on the car. When it's time for new shoes, simply buy tires and install them not at Discount Tire and the insurance "transfers" to the new tires.

Nope, that won't work. Tires have SERIAL numbers on them...(all tires) and Discount tire knows which ones came from them vs. someone else & will reject any claim that they review. They DO also register your VIN but I think that is only secondary. Play fair or don't play at all. I have not yet heard of anyone being prosecuted for theft but in theory, they could press charges if someone "attempted" such a fraud.

alphaod 10-17-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndabunka (Post 7141151)
Nope, that won't work. Tires have SERIAL numbers on them...(all tires) and Discount tire knows which ones came from them vs. someone else & will reject any claim that they review. They DO also register your VIN but I think that is only secondary. Play fair or don't play at all. I have not yet heard of anyone being prosecuted for theft but in theory, they could press charges if someone "attempted" such a fraud.

I don't know. I didn't attempt anything. I bought a set of tires and then went to Discount Tire to buy their hazard warranty. Then I replaced the tires, and when I had a blowout on two of the tires), I would back to Discount Tire to buy new ones only to be surprised when they said I have hazard insurance and that covered it. I asked how they register the warranty and was told they just use the VIN.

ard 10-17-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndabunka (Post 7141151)

1, I know for an absolute FACT that discount will sell a warranty on tires you dont buy from them.

2. I know for a fact that tires DO have a serial number, and most warranties SHOULD record the serial number. But sometimes they dont.

Play fair, but if they fail to do what they need to, its their problem

CALLAWAY845 10-19-2012 04:10 PM

Wow, through all of the back and forth banter, I am kinda surprised the price for the tire warranty didn't appear from somewhere (as that could matter when one is making a purchasing decision). My tire warranty was $590, and covered the car until 100 k miles. I think it was a good buy

ard 10-19-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7138221)
Would be helpful to know the price....

How many tires and rims have you broken on your current car?

:thumbup:

Post #2.

Callaway, was that a BMW plan???

tonka858 10-20-2012 12:46 AM

One nice thing is if you park by feel they will replace the rims for $100 each.

ard 10-20-2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonka858 (Post 7146252)
One nice thing is if you park by feel they will replace the rims for $100 each.

What?