Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   328i feels like an undwhelming boat :( (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652339)

328i2013 10-16-2012 10:32 PM

328i feels like an undwhelming boat :(
 
After 13 weeks of waiting for my 328i.
And after having driven it for a week.
It hurts me to say that the 328i feels like an undwhelming boat.
I'm not terribly disappointed because its a beautiful luxury car.
But I don't think it's the ultimate driving machine.
Maybe the 335i is, but I've not driven it so I can't say for sure.
Already planning to get a Z4 or the new Boxster for thrillfull driving.
Hate me for saying all this.
But I simply had to say it.
And I gave it a week.
Maybe I'll feel differently in a month.
But maybe that will be cuz I might have got used to this 328i by then.
:(

tturedraider 10-16-2012 10:39 PM

Life's a b*tch, ain't it? :rolleyes: Maybe you can do a trade for an ATS.

Jon Shafer 10-16-2012 11:26 PM

You should really consider a few mods before you throw in the towel. Frankly, as "tuneable" as these turbo I-4s are, I am surprised that we aren't seeing/hearing about more software updates. With a few tweaks to the code, an exhaust, and a cold air intake, I bet you can pull another 100 ponies out of a 328i for not too much $. I would check out what some of our Bimmerfest sponsors are offering or have under development.

Chief Brody 10-17-2012 01:36 AM

He proprably never pressed the mode button into sport.

leewtech 10-17-2012 03:28 AM

Did you test drive the 335 before you bought? Expensive regret...

I hate to say it but there appears to be an epidemic of turbo 4 regret blossoming among new owners. I have read a lot of threads with 28 owners wondering if they should have bought the 6.

justinnum1 10-17-2012 03:50 AM

OP, sorry to hear that. to be completely honest it sounds like you should have gotten sportline, or at the very least the adaptive suspension. How many miles are on your car? My dad had an X3 for a few days and returned it, it had 150 miles on the car. They might let you return it if your getting another BMW.

Like jon said, some coil overs will quickly change your tune about it feeling like a boat.

If your dealer lets you swap for a sportline, make sure it has the sport auto.

justinnum1 10-17-2012 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leewtech (Post 7139279)
Did you test drive the 335 before you bought? Expensive regret...

I hate to say it but there appears to be an epidemic of turbo 4 regret blossoming among new owners. I have read a lot of threads with 28 owners wondering if they should have bought the 6.

Really? I have seen one other thread like this. A lot? Where are they?

boltjaM3s 10-17-2012 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 328i2013 (Post 7139090)
After 13 weeks of waiting for my 328i.
And after having driven it for a week.
It hurts me to say that the 328i feels like an undwhelming boat.
I'm not terribly disappointed because its a beautiful luxury car.
But I don't think it's the ultimate driving machine.
Maybe the 335i is, but I've not driven it so I can't say for sure.
Already planning to get a Z4 or the new Boxster for thrillfull driving.
Hate me for saying all this.
But I simply had to say it.
And I gave it a week.
Maybe I'll feel differently in a month.
But maybe that will be cuz I might have got used to this 328i by then.

I mean this sincerely because you're a nice kid and a lot of us have tried to help you all summer: You clearly bought the wrong car.

- You came off a Mini Cooper S which is a go-kart compared to the F30.

- You bought a stripper with practically no options.

- You didn't do any research on features.

- Saving money is more important to you than performance.

From Auto Start/Stop to folding rear seats to comfort access to Bluetooth to iPod USB there's not an available feature on the car that you understood or comprehended wasn't on your build. I myself must have answered two dozen of your questions and they always went something like "sorry, you don't have Enhanced USB so you can't..."

The F30 is designed to be a sporty $50,000 luxury car. While you can buy it for $38,000 it's not intended to be very enjoyable that way as its "missing" features you can get standard on an Acura TL for a song.

So I'd argue that if you expected the Ultimate Driving Machine after coming off a tiny Mini Cooper and skipped the Sport line, that's a mistake on your part alone. You bought a car that's 30% larger and you're surprised? No different than skipping the Technology package and then writing your letter to BMW about "missing" USB and Bluetooth features.

You bought the wrong car, period. It's not an under-featured boat if you pay more and option it correctly. Talk to your dealer, trade it in for the Clubman you should have bought instead.

BJ

maxdriver 10-17-2012 04:28 AM

I test drove a 2012 328i 6-speed. I wasn't aware of the various settings when the drive started and did not have it in sport mode. I thought the steering lacked feeling and the suspension was too soft. I then put it in sport mode and that did sharpen things up. I'm taking a leap of faith that the Sportline I have on order will be a significant improvement as the base package was not sporty enough for me.

leewtech 10-17-2012 04:35 AM

Quote:

Really? I have seen one other thread like this. A lot? Where are they?
You have to do a lot of inter thread reading, but its out there. Mostly X1, X3, 3 series threads with new owners basically asking the same thing. "did I buy the right one" or "bought the 4 cylinder because of budget constraints", "did I do the right thing by getting the 4?".

You won't find too many threads as blatant as this one. Clearly regret as opposed to making the best of their purchase decision.

maxdriver 10-17-2012 04:39 AM

I think the 4 cylinder turbo engine in the 328i and the X1 is fantastic, no issues there for me.

windsor027 10-17-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 328i2013 (Post 7139090)
After 13 weeks of waiting for my 328i.
And after having driven it for a week.
It hurts me to say that the 328i feels like an undwhelming boat.
I'm not terribly disappointed because its a beautiful luxury car.
But I don't think it's the ultimate driving machine.
Maybe the 335i is, but I've not driven it so I can't say for sure.
Already planning to get a Z4 or the new Boxster for thrillfull driving.
Hate me for saying all this.
But I simply had to say it.
And I gave it a week.
Maybe I'll feel differently in a month.
But maybe that will be cuz I might have got used to this 328i by then.
:(

Not much I can add to what other people have added here. Jon I believe said it best, get some mods but start with a wheels and tires. If you have the base model that means you have the 17 inch wheels. No good at all. Get aggressive on the wheel/tire setup. then look into suspension bits. this car is very very solid so it can take the suspension upgrades and give you the feel you need.

in otherwords the money you tried saving in the beginning you will need to spend now to get the car you want.

3284me 10-17-2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7139315)
I mean this sincerely because you're a nice kid and a lot of us have tried to help you all summer: You clearly bought the wrong car.

- You came off a Mini Cooper S which is a go-kart compared to the F30.

- You bought a stripper with practically no options.

- You didn't do any research on features.

- Saving money is more important to you than performance.

From Auto Start/Stop to folding rear seats to comfort access to Bluetooth to iPod USB there's not an available feature on the car that you understood or comprehended wasn't on your build. I myself must have answered two dozen of your questions and they always went something like "sorry, you don't have Enhanced USB so you can't..."

The F30 is designed to be a sporty $50,000 luxury car. While you can buy it for $38,000 it's not intended to be very enjoyable that way as its "missing" features you can get standard on an Acura TL for a song.

So I'd argue that if you expected the Ultimate Driving Machine after coming off a tiny Mini Cooper and skipped the Sport line, that's a mistake on your part alone. You bought a car that's 30% larger and you're surprised? No different than skipping the Technology package and then writing your letter to BMW about "missing" USB and Bluetooth features.

You bought the wrong car, period. It's not an under-featured boat if you pay more and option it correctly. Talk to your dealer, trade it in for the Clubman you should have bought instead.

BJ

+1 the i4 kicks you know what over the 328 e90 i6 :D

328i2013 10-17-2012 05:05 AM

So, you guys are basically agreeing and saying that "out of the box" BMW's flagship car is not the "Ultimate Driving Machine". It needs mods and bigger wheels and packages and such. Sad.

I'm loving the car, don't get me wrong. It drives very well. Just not fast enough. I of course knew it wasn't going to handle like my Cooper S.

shabadoo25 10-17-2012 05:09 AM

The 328i is a great car for all seasons. If you want to save $ sometimes and fly other times, it's perfect.

If you want fast, fast, fast all the time, then you really want a 335i.

Jackson743 10-17-2012 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windsor027 (Post 7139336)
Not much I can add to what other people have added here. Jon I believe said it best, get some mods but start with a wheels and tires. If you have the base model that means you have the 17 inch wheels. No good at all. Get aggressive on the wheel/tire setup. then look into suspension bits. this car is very very solid so it can take the suspension upgrades and give you the feel you need.

in otherwords the money you tried saving in the beginning you will need to spend now to get the car you want.

Unless it's a horsepower issue. If it is, he should have bought a 335i and there not to much he can do to make up for less displacement.

But, if he's going to buy a new Boxster, then he shouldn't feel that bad. Don't sink any more money into the BMW. Spend it on a Boxster S.

boltjaM3s 10-17-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 328i2013 (Post 7139345)
So, you guys are basically agreeing and saying that "out of the box" BMW's flagship car is not the "Ultimate Driving Machine". It needs mods and bigger wheels and packages and such. Sad.

Welcome to 2005.

Since the E46 was put to pasture, "out of the box" means a $349 a month stripper for mass consumption of an underfeatured car that's less tight and sporty than the $599 a month fully-featured version. This has evolved even moreso for the F30.

It's pay-as-you-go driving, and frankly I for one prefer it that way. The E90 ride was harsh and I'm thrilled I have a softer version now. It's more comfortable for myself and my family.

Those who make the jump from the Mini Cooper to the 328i do it for one reason and it comes with one consequence- they are married, expecting kids in the next 36 months, they get a bigger, more comfortable car and sacrifice go-kart handling.

I don't want to overstep my bounds, but in reading you over the past 4 months you sound like someone who pinched pennies to get a German luxury car he could not afford and then is running around complaining about the very features he deliberately left off. Just last week, you posted a thread on two forums entitled "Where is the digital speedometer on this car?" as if passing on the Technology package meant you still should have that feature.

My advice to you: Get out now. You only have a week's mileage on the car, the MT is in high demand from an enthusiast perspective, and you live in snow-central without XDrive which is going to make your life even more miserable if you don't buy really expensive snow tires. The mods you're talking about to tighten the car up will cost several thousand dollars and you'll never be able to solve the USB and Bluetooth and head-up issues for the life of the car.

Next time, do the research. Don't just read "The Ultimate Driving Machine" tagline on TV and expect that a car with no options is going to be anything but pedestrian.

BJ

dromader 10-17-2012 05:19 AM

I test drove back to back 335xi msport manual and the 328 xi at stripper (no line) and I had a similar experience quite surprised because of the reviews here. My 2010 238xi yes it feels underpowered but it also doesn't have that much body roll, it feels tighter. The 335 xi was a completely different animal though, ... I'm getting one.

windsor027 10-17-2012 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 328i2013 (Post 7139345)
So, you guys are basically agreeing and saying that "out of the box" BMW's flagship car is not the "Ultimate Driving Machine". It needs mods and bigger wheels and packages and such. Sad.

I'm loving the car, don't get me wrong. It drives very well. Just not fast enough. I of course knew it wasn't going to handle like my Cooper S.

I had a 2003 Mini S and let me tell you my 335i with the adaptive suspension will run rings around it, even though I still maitain BMW should have used a larger size wheel/tire combo.

rtgirard 10-17-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson743 (Post 7139351)
But, if he's going to buy a new Boxster, then he shouldn't feel that bad. Don't sink any more money into the BMW. Spend it on a Boxster S.

This.

beden1 10-17-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windsor027 (Post 7139336)
Not much I can add to what other people have added here. Jon I believe said it best, get some mods but start with a wheels and tires. If you have the base model that means you have the 17 inch wheels. No good at all. Get aggressive on the wheel/tire setup. then look into suspension bits. this car is very very solid so it can take the suspension upgrades and give you the feel you need.

in otherwords the money you tried saving in the beginning you will need to spend now to get the car you want.

Why would anyone want to do this and spend that kind of money on a leased car? If you did modify a leased car, then don't you have to bring it back to stock before you turn it in? :dunno:

cheikh82 10-17-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7139355)
Welcome to 2005.

Since the E46 was put to pasture, "out of the box" means a $349 a month stripper for mass consumption of an underfeatured car that's less tight and sporty than the $599 a month fully-featured version. This has evolved even moreso for the F30.

It's pay-as-you-go driving, and frankly I for one prefer it that way. The E90 ride was harsh and I'm thrilled I have a softer version now. It's more comfortable for myself and my family.

Those who make the jump from the Mini Cooper to the 328i do it for one reason and it comes with one consequence- they are married, expecting kids in the next 36 months, they get a bigger, more comfortable car and sacrifice go-kart handling.

I don't want to overstep my bounds, but in reading you over the past 4 months you sound like someone who pinched pennies to get a German luxury car he could not afford and then is running around complaining about the very features he deliberately left off. Just last week, you posted a thread on two forums entitled "Where is the digital speedometer on this car?" as if passing on the Technology package meant you still should have that feature.

My advice to you: Get out now. You only have a week's mileage on the car, the MT is in high demand from an enthusiast perspective, and you live in snow-central without XDrive which is going to make your life even more miserable if you don't buy really expensive snow tires. The mods you're talking about to tighten the car up will cost several thousand dollars and you'll never be able to solve the USB and Bluetooth and head-up issues for the life of the car.

Next time, do the research. Don't just read "The Ultimate Driving Machine" tagline on TV and expect that a car with no options is going to be anything but pedestrian.

BJ

Oh Lord!! Hey you, I think you have to much money to be hanging out in this forum. Just my 2 cents.

windsor027 10-17-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beden1 (Post 7139404)
Why would anyone want to do this and spend that kind of money on a leased car? If you did modify a leased car, then don't you have to bring it back to stock before you turn it in? :dunno:

Didn't know it was leased.

samualcc 10-17-2012 06:08 AM

Not sure what you find "slow" about the car. Perhaps you are expecting some kind of Turbo kick? Instead you just go fast without any fuss. If you are used to the turbo kick from other cars, you won't find it here.

I don't know if your previous cooper was modded but the 328i should be faster.

Jamesonsviggen 10-17-2012 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 328i2013 (Post 7139345)
So, you guys are basically agreeing and saying that "out of the box" BMW's flagship car is not the "Ultimate Driving Machine". It needs mods and bigger wheels and packages and such. Sad.

I'm loving the car, don't get me wrong. It drives very well. Just not fast enough. I of course knew it wasn't going to handle like my Cooper S.

1)- Is it broken in?
2) If so, have you did a soft launch in SPORT mode, shifting at 6500?(I think you have a 6mt)

If so, and you still think the car is under performing...the problem is you.

Why?

You got a base model, base engine 3 series.

A couple of years ago you would have a car that had a large gap compared to the 6.

Your N20 has shrunken the gap quite a bit with a car trapping at nearly 100mph. That is 5+mph faster than a Mini S.

So what were your expectations. For $375 these can be tuned to run 4.9 to 60, 13.5 at 104mph. Again, what are your expectations for a base engine 3?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms