Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   new owner help with my 1996 750il Radio does not work and starter problems!! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652830)

leedelta13 10-19-2012 11:31 AM

new owner help with my 1996 750il Radio does not work and starter problems!!

Hello everyone,
I have just brought my !st BMW and i am excited! I need a bit of guidance with a few issues though.

Radio does'nt work!
starter needs to be replaced!

#1 Radio. well sound comes thru the speakers when i turn the key and also when i push buttons on the phone. I can even hear some type of sound when i push other buttons on the stereo, but no radio stations, or Cd playing either. I checked the CD changer in the trunk and it seems to be working fine to me. please help!

#2. When I brought the car yesterday the person said to me that the starter needed to be replaced, I was and, am a bit unsure if he is correct because he didn't seem to know much about the car. I knew more than he did and i did not even own the car! is it possible that the starter is not the problem? maybe a fuse,relay,something of that type? when the key is inserted everything powers up fully. When the key is turned completely at times i hear clicking and when i do it again there is no sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated

yours truly Loving this car!!
Edit/Delete Message

First740i 10-19-2012 04:10 PM

You first need to make sure you have a good battery. If the person you got the car from didn't know much, there is a good chance that battery is no good.

Sent from my DROID4 using Bimmer App

BMWFatherFigure 10-20-2012 05:59 AM

+1 - Bad battery causes all sorts of problems. If still no good do the ign switch clean trick.

leedelta13 10-20-2012 12:46 PM

Car will not start and radio will not start!

Hello Everyone!

Thanks for the replies!

I just came in from with a new battery. Still same problem. Good power. No start! Please keep the advice and insight coming. Thanks:thumbup:

Bm24 11-19-2012 11:03 AM

click sound when turning the key, but not all the time

hi, did you get htis resolved? i have similar issue where at times (maybe 20%) i turn the key, i hear a click, then nothing happens. re-turn the key and the car starts. any thoughts?

leedelta13 11-19-2012 04:39 PM

Working on the issue now

Hello and thanks for the reply.

I am currently in the process of changing the starter in my car then i hope the problem will be resolved.
I just brought my car. and it doesn't start but it does power up when the battery is attached. then after some time the battery begins to die. that's all i have right now.
I will post how the starter replacement goes. I hope i will be completed tomorrow.:)

BMWFatherFigure 11-20-2012 12:56 AM

CLEAN THE IGNITION SWITCH CONTACTS (off the car). It's a cheap fix (if it turns out to be wrong) and causes heaps of problems.

leedelta13 01-07-2013 09:07 PM

Iggy Switch Cleaning?

Hello everyone,

I have a a few developments!

First how do i clean the iggy switch??

thanks!

edognight 01-08-2013 02:26 PM

ignition switch

there is a very informative post about it, and the guy took pictures, basically you take it apart and sand down the contact points, just like an old distributor. It is supposed to work pretty well, sorry, but I don't remember where the post is.

Also, he says in there 'do not take this apart, and listen cause it is an ordeal to get the plastic cam piece back together. I messed it up, hopefully you wont.

leedelta13 01-11-2013 09:13 PM

Update to everyone. I have had no development yet. to BM24 I have not had that problem. but to me i would clean the contacts as mentioned above. If you find or have found the post about the contact cleaning please send it to me. Thanks!

leedelta13 01-12-2013 02:41 PM

Hello everyone! Does anyone know how to clean the iggy contact.

My car it cranks but will not fire up.
How do i check the crank position sensor?
i have no power going to my obd. any suggestions?
What is a vanos?
There appears to be no broken CPS or wires
Where can i get a free bentley manual?

I really like this car and i am committed to getting my car started. Any help you provide i will greatly appreciate.
please help me! :cry::dunno:

BMWFatherFigure 01-13-2013 09:41 AM

I saw the ign switch post on a Dutch site - try google E38 problems. That is how I found it.

leedelta13 03-15-2014 07:34 PM

Please help with my car stereo!

Hello everyone! check out my video as my car is now runnung smooth, but now I ask for your help with my radio!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLiC...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLiC...ature=youtu.be

First740i 03-15-2014 07:55 PM

E38.org

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app