Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   On Site Pre-Purchase Inspection Service - ZHP (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652905)

Dathaeus 10-19-2012 08:47 PM

On Site Pre-Purchase Inspection Service - ZHP

Hey guys.... some of u may already be helping me with a purchase of a ZHP... since I may be buying one from somewhere remote out of my location, I was thinking of getting someone on craigslist who knows about ZHP's to go inspect for me for a fee.. of course I would have to test him over the phone on his knowledge etc...

But I just found an alternative... anyone used this service I just found:
inspectmyride.com ? It seems exactly what I want but the only bad thing is, it is mostly cosmetic, and they wont even test drive it if the weather is bad or some other excuses. I am thinking this is better than nothing, but I dont feel great about it, and not sure if they are even sending an appropriate mechanic on site.

This actually came from a link of an eBay listing for a ZHP in Jacksonville, FL, and the guy even uploaded a video which was nice. It would have been better if when he shut off the radio so we could hear the engine if HE shut up so I could hear it. Also he talked about Xenon lights and failed to turn them on when he did his walk around, but I guess not a big deal. It has a lot of miles but it sounded good from what I could hear.

If this is no good, anyone know of a good way to search for someone who will do an inspection at a remote location professionally? I'd just hate to drive or fly to a place only to find the seller "neglected" to tell me something that may cost me a lot of $$$ in the future.

ANY other suggestions or something you have done that worked would be appreciated. Thanks!

328ioc 10-19-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dathaeus (Post 7145961)
Hey guys.... some of u may already be helping me with a purchase of a ZHP... since I may be buying one from somewhere remote out of my location, I was thinking of getting someone on craigslist who knows about ZHP's to go inspect for me for a fee.. of course I would have to test him over the phone on his knowledge etc...

But I just found an alternative... anyone used this service I just found:
inspectmyride.com ? It seems exactly what I want but the only bad thing is, it is mostly cosmetic, and they wont even test drive it if the weather is bad or some other excuses. I am thinking this is better than nothing, but I dont feel great about it, and not sure if they are even sending an appropriate mechanic on site.

This actually came from a link of an eBay listing for a ZHP in Jacksonville, FL, and the guy even uploaded a video which was nice. It would have been better if when he shut off the radio so we could hear the engine if HE shut up so I could hear it. Also he talked about Xenon lights and failed to turn them on when he did his walk around, but I guess not a big deal. It has a lot of miles but it sounded good from what I could hear.

If this is no good, anyone know of a good way to search for someone who will do an inspection at a remote location professionally? I'd just hate to drive or fly to a place only to find the seller "neglected" to tell me something that may cost me a lot of $$$ in the future.

ANY other suggestions or something you have done that worked would be appreciated. Thanks!

I cant really answer the remote ppi item.

But that car looks much more worth it than the one is Orlando.

I would pursue this one.

I will do some thinking on the ppi issue though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

Dathaeus 10-20-2012 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 328ioc (Post 7146102)
I cant really answer the remote ppi item.

But that car looks much more worth it than the one is Orlando.

I would pursue this one.

I will do some thinking on the ppi issue though.

LOL ya, I am much happier considering this one, looks sweet, and I prefer black or dark blue anyways. I'll see if I can find someone there either thru one of the forums or craigslist... will just have to screen them real well if the latter. Work work.... for the final prize.

heztheone 10-20-2012 08:08 AM

well from what i saw in the pics on ebay, the following i didn't like
1- seems it's overheating a bit if u take extra careful look at the temperature gauge. my guess is he left the AC going to keep the fan running since the fan clutch probably needs changing
2- it's been in an accident in the front right side, the bumper is badly aligned, the mud flap is gone, plus i didn't like much how the right door aligned
3- not a big fan of kevlar (personal opinion :D )
4- door trims has been glued in a messy way

i would , it has a 15x,xxx miles, been on the road a lot.
my opinion is have a thorough check on this vehicle and read the wiki to know what to expect, what preventive maintenance should've been/should be done.
good luck :thumbup:

MMME30W 10-20-2012 08:19 AM

Where is the ZHP you want inspected?

smolck 10-20-2012 08:46 AM

For $9500 I'd buy it sight unseen. Interior is in really good shape (a good sign) and 153k miles is nothing for a ZHP. Plan on it needing $1500-$2000 worth of work and you still get a good deal.

Dathaeus 10-21-2012 06:48 PM

The one in Orlando I nixed a while back, I was looking more into the Pensacola one but since someone at e46fanatics actually test drove it, thats a nix as well. Luckkkkkkkkkkkyyyyyyyyyy.....

Also I was thinking, now that I found a trustworthy car broker than my friends has used here, get even a stock 330i, and then over the next several months wait for a really nice deal on a ZHP, BUT, I was also thinking... if I do get a ZHP with like 100+k on it, the suspension is probably not what it was, all worn up... so in like 6-12 months, wouldnt it be better, instead of spending more money on a worked in ZHP, to just replace the suspension in the 330i "I got" since it will probably need to be replaced anyways, with a ZHP styled stiffer ride, and bam, I have a brand new feel that is also much fresher than a used ZHP. Then down the road I can upgrade whatever else, and do other little things to improve HP... 10 should not be that hard to gain. Just thinking this is an option.

Also, I dont think the guy will like it too much if I told him I ONLY want a 2003-4 ZHP, I mean, I am sure that doesnt come around that often here. But a 330i, probably very often. My only thing is, it wont be a "ZHP" lol... but I think I'll get over it if I can customize it the way I want...

MMME30W 10-21-2012 07:00 PM

^^^ I think broadening your search aperture is a good idea.

Dathaeus 10-21-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heztheone (Post 7146525)
well from what i saw in the pics on ebay, the following i didn't like
2- it's been in an accident in the front right side, the bumper is badly aligned, the mud flap is gone, plus i didn't like much how the right door aligned
4- door trims has been glued in a messy way

Ok, maybe I am blind, but I dont see anything u see for those 2.... the bumper looks the same as the other side, and the trims seem "normal.." Just so I understand for the future, can you point out any specific parts that stand out to u that makes u say that? If u know Photoshop maybe u can circle the parts, lol, but anyways, words should be fine. Thanks!

heztheone 10-21-2012 10:46 PM

http://i45.tinypic.com/35n5y07.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/8vr9k8.jpg

as for the door trim, u need to pay extra attention to the vid where he shows u the left door's trim, it appears that there are glue hanging out the trim.
these are only things to give u a head's-up for, car might b in a good condition, but these are things that turned my head a bit :eeps:
have it inspected and u'll never know, perhaps u might be a new proud owner of a ZHP :thumbup:

bmw330pp 10-22-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heztheone (Post 7149532)
http://i45.tinypic.com/35n5y07.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/8vr9k8.jpg

as for the door trim, u need to pay extra attention to the vid where he shows u the left door's trim, it appears that there are glue hanging out the trim.
these are only things to give u a head's-up for, car might b in a good condition, but these are things that turned my head a bit :eeps:
have it inspected and u'll never know, perhaps u might be a new proud owner of a ZHP :thumbup:

He's just missing the front wheel well plastic cover. The two main ways that happens is, 1. he went over something at high speed and it just tore it off, and 2. he parked over one of those cement parking stops, and as he backed up, he tore it off the bottom. There is a third reason, and that is an accident...

Dathaeus 10-22-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmw330pp (Post 7149600)
He's just missing the front wheel well plastic cover. The two main ways that happens is, 1. he went over something at high speed and it just tore it off, and 2. he parked over one of those cement parking stops, and as he backed up, he tore it off the bottom. There is a third reason, and that is an accident...

Awesome, you have eagle eyes... as for the bumper, it seems off ever so slightly, but then, isnt the left bumper also off by a bit?

Now I know who to call upon for any future purchase advice from photos! :bigpimp:

Dathaeus 10-22-2012 01:03 PM

Anyone have an opinion on this service? Doesnt seem like its cosmetic only, even though their web site sucks.

autopi.com

heztheone 10-22-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dathaeus (Post 7149896)
Awesome, you have eagle eyes... as for the bumper, it seems off ever so slightly, but then, isnt the left bumper also off by a bit?

Now I know who to call upon for any future purchase advice from photos! :bigpimp:

the left side is off to the uneven right side, any push/pull on one side will make the whole bumper uneven...
did u check it yet ? :D I just get excited whenever i know someone's looking for a ZHP, i spent 7 months looking till i found my baby :bigpimp:
and btw, i'm just veeeery thorough when it comes to cars, i notice lots of stuff, they might not even be 1% serious, but u'll never know what u might come up with :thumbup:

heztheone 10-22-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dathaeus (Post 7150625)
Anyone have an opinion on this service? Doesnt seem like its cosmetic only, even though their web site sucks.

autopi.com

no offense but the website looks like crap :dunno:
sorry can't help u cuz i live on the other half of the world, but don't u know a good indy that might help u out? all u need is a good mechanic with a scanner and u'r good to know, BMW are not that hard to crack. whenever something's wrong, u'll feel its effect immediately...
my advice is also to read the wiki, u'll have a broader knowledge of ur BMW, its condition and everything else u need to know :thumbup:

Dathaeus 10-22-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heztheone (Post 7151708)
no offense but the website looks like crap :dunno:
sorry can't help u cuz i live on the other half of the world, but don't u know a good indy that might help u out? all u need is a good mechanic with a scanner and u'r good to know, BMW are not that hard to crack. whenever something's wrong, u'll feel its effect immediately...
my advice is also to read the wiki, u'll have a broader knowledge of ur BMW, its condition and everything else u need to know :thumbup:

LOL I know it looks bad, but I actually design web sites and I know not ALL bad sites mean they are bad businesses, esp in certain industries like local auto mechanics etc....

I have this broker guy looking for me and he has PPI set up for almost everywhere he looks, but we are looking locally right now... fingers crossed!!!