Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   2005 325i - Clunking Noise (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653300)

jblair85 10-21-2012 07:28 PM

2005 325i - Clunking Noise

My bimmer has right under 100k miles. I just replaced both control arms, ball joints, and bushings and had my vehicle aligned. Shortly after I am now hearing a clunking noise while driving the vehicle which occurs primarily while braking hard. It also happens while turning. Not a repeated clunk like a CV joint but more of a single "POP!". I know that I still have the factory struts and engine mounts but these items appear to be fine from close inspection. Does anyone have any suggestions on what this may be?

I have already taken the vehicle into the shop that performed the alignment and they said the alignment is fine...when asking them about the noise they suggested it may be the engine mount (but I can't see the engine mount being loose at all). Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Fast Bob 10-21-2012 08:30 PM

Diff bushing, maybe ?

jblair85 11-04-2012 06:32 PM

Thanks for the reply! I will check into this next time I get a chance to get under the car. I looked around on youtube and found a couple of examples. It does seem like the noise is coming from closer to the front of the vehicle but anything helps.

JayMac 11-04-2012 07:41 PM

Just a thought but make sure your calipers are on tight. Had work done at a shop and a few weeks later the caliper came off while driving. Bolts had backed out.

QAfred 11-04-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jblair85 (Post 7149290)
My bimmer has right under 100k miles. I just replaced both control arms, ball joints, and bushings and had my vehicle aligned. Shortly after I am now hearing a clunking noise while driving the vehicle which occurs primarily while braking hard. It also happens while turning. Not a repeated clunk like a CV joint but more of a single "POP!". I know that I still have the factory struts and engine mounts but these items appear to be fine from close inspection. Does anyone have any suggestions on what this may be?

I have already taken the vehicle into the shop that performed the alignment and they said the alignment is fine...when asking them about the noise they suggested it may be the engine mount (but I can't see the engine mount being loose at all). Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks!

It sounds like FCAB's. Get under it and make sure the FCAB's were installed correctly and not on top of the bushings. A visible gap between the FCAB and its mounting point will be noted if it is not installed correctly.
You could also visually inspect motor mounts while down there and try to pry between mount and sub frame to see if it is a bad MM.

jdauria 11-05-2012 04:32 AM

RSM, Subframe, engine mounts (the rubber dries up and starts to crack), etc

1972ford 11-05-2012 05:37 AM

Does it ever happen when you go over bumps? Or just braking? More when turning one way or the other?

mafabix 11-09-2012 09:01 AM

I have exactly the same problem!!

JayMac 11-09-2012 10:05 PM

Guys check your camber bolts. Number 10 in this diagram.
http://realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/q/b/17.png

I had forgotten about those. I was tracking my son'e e36 and I would get a single pop when cornering hard. I could feel it through the aluminum race seats and it drove me nuts. We checked everything and tore the rear end apart. In the end it turned out to be the camber bolts had rusted pretty bad and would shift when loaded up. SOunds like that might be what you are experiencing. Easy check and fix. Good luck!

Y2K_Bimmer 11-10-2012 09:15 AM

I had a clunk in the rear when I would shift in lower gears. The part , rear diff bsuhing, wasn't expensive but had to take it to the shop. Ened up being about $500. The bushing was totally shot when they showed me. They also said it was hard to get off so I'm glad I didn't try this one in my carport.

jblair85 11-23-2012 02:07 PM

Response to 1972 Ford

The noise happens all the time when braking moderately hard as I keep on letting it go it is beginning to happen more often (like going over bumps etc.). I tried to check it out again and was unsuccessful so I will be taking it in on Monday.

crsandoval 11-23-2012 02:28 PM

I need to replace the rear diff bushing as well. It has an occasional pop as well. Shop here in CA quoted the same amount.

stilover 11-23-2012 06:14 PM

Strut mounts maybe? I had similar noises to what you are experiencing, only not in cornering, mainly when hitting bumps.

jblair85 12-21-2012 06:52 PM

Just to wrap this one up. I took my vehicle into the shop and they could not find anything broken or worn. They ended up just lifting the vehicle on a floor lift to put weight on the suspension and then they tightened down on the bolts all around where the control arm bushing and ball joints were installed. This was it....no charge either.