Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   6 Series (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Increased emmissions !!!!!!! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653352)

MIKEYPHILL 10-22-2012 05:48 AM

Increased emmissions !!!!!!!

went out this morning to start my car ( 2004 645ci) covertable and my increased emmissions light cam on wit service engine soon :mad: does any one know how to fix it or what to do i have no idea.

MINI+BMWtek 10-22-2012 06:09 AM

You will need to visit your BMW technician to do a vehicle test using BMW tester. you have an engine fault.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App

pablo645 10-23-2012 07:27 AM

Could be anything at this point without getting some kind of fault code. Unfortunately this emmission warning could be a number of things so it could a be easy fix or a hard one. Once you get some codes, then repost here and maybe one of the members can give some insight. Search as well and you will see various topics on this emmission issue. Good Luck

Skarv 10-29-2012 08:44 PM

This one can be really easy, or relatively hard. I'd try the easy first just in case. I went the other way and did several jobs that weren't needed... thought at 80K, my car could probably use the new Thermostat and CCV valves. Those are two things that apparently often throw the Increased Emissions signal. If you are at all handy, you can do both jobs for about $150 worth of parts.

The other area that triggers this warning is when the car senses that vapor is escaping from the gas tank. Hence the emissions. This generally happens two ways: One is if the fuel vapor pump fails. This little item only costs about $130, but I hear it isn't fun to install. Gets mounted under the car to the side of the fuel tank. I don't know how hard this is, but this is what the code reader said was my problem when I finally got to read actual ODB codes. But it turns out that even though it signaled this, what was really wrong was....... the GAS CAP.

SO before you go down the rathole, I suggest check your gas cap. I was about to just buy a new one when an out of stock/wife situation delayed that strategy. So I figured out how to fix it. And it cured my problem. The link to my 10minute DIY is below. You can tell if this is part of your problem if when you put on your gas cap, you can feel it hit the stops before the ratcheting. It should tighten tighten tighten and then as the pressure builds, the ratchet goes off. If yours has been overtightened, the tabs got bent and it now bottoms out and doesn't seal well.

Going on a month with no recurrence. Your mileage may vary, but I wish I had started here, not ended.

Check it out, or just buy a new gas cap. They are only about $20.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=653239

VileVince 10-31-2012 01:59 PM

Mine was a thermostat. But it really could be anything, if you have a trusty mechanic take it by so they can look at the fault code & they should be able to tell you, or at least narrow it down to what may be causing it.

kcb888 11-01-2012 02:52 AM

My emission light came on when the mechanic did not close the Oil Cap completely and let air into the crankcase. Also, check for vacuum leaks/loose hoses. Maybe dip stick not completely shut?

DBLAZE 12-08-2012 09:12 PM

Just got this Increased Emissions error on the car this morning and about 2 hours, one thermostat plus a gallon of coolant later all is well... It turned out to be a bad thermostat. Be sure to get some BMW coolant if this is your issue as you are going to lose A LOT when you replace it.

Skarv 12-09-2012 07:52 PM

Wish mine had been so simple. Thermostat was my first try but it took a couple more for me. Good news is that it seems the solutions are inexpensive... but annoyingly ellusive sometimes.

Congrats.

Sammyy90 12-10-2012 05:29 PM

I had that same light come on and mine was my catalytic converters and guide valve seals or something.. Dealer wants about 6k to fix !! I've been looking into the 2012 x5. Not worth fixing my 645

Skarv 12-10-2012 05:55 PM

Hey Sammy:

Hope it is usual dealer gouging that you are running into and that the problem isn't that bad. Unless your car has massive miles or has really been flogged, I'd be a bit surprised if it had what they say. But you never know.

Anyway, I on the off chance that you can get the light off in order to sell it, I would invest the $200 and a six of beer in replacing these three things:

Gas Cap
Thermostat
Crankcase vent valves

All three of these are really easy to do, and if they get the emissions light to go off, this will add much more to the value of your car when you sell it than the $200 invested in parts. There are good DIYs for all of these chores and I'd guess you are looking at about 2 hours of time once you have the parts.

Good luck.

OUalacra 02-20-2013 11:08 AM

temperature gauge

@Dblaze did you notice any temperature abnormalities by the monitoring temperature gauge in the instruments cluster? Did your car get too hot or not hot enought? what was your temperature on the high and low side?