Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Alex @ AlpineMSS remote coding service review (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653576)

f01driver 10-23-2012 02:06 AM

Alex @ AlpineMSS remote coding service review

Here's a brief review about the remote service Alex @ AlpineMSS provides. The total cost for this service is $100 + $50 cable deposit which you get back when you ship the cable back.

I received the cable yesterday, Alex didn't have time during the evening to code but e-mailed me that he would be able to code after work which was around 11pm. I got everything setup but ran into some issues with my wifi, Alex was extremely patient and extremely friendly throughout the entire process and had everything coded in about 15 minutes. I know some of you are doing coding yourselves but for people who don't have time to learn or don't feel comfortable coding than Alex is a great alternative. He'll coded what you like, there's no limit and if anything happens in the future he will re-code the car for free.

ChrisF01 10-23-2012 02:53 AM

I too are still pleased with the coding, I actually got him to modify some things that he had coded the first time. I added rear DRLs, and removed foglights on with unlock.

Unfortunately my car is in the shop AGAIN, needing the computer control module replaced, and my guess is it will have to be recoded ugh.

But I'd definitely recommend him, he was very patient with me as well, I'm pretty damn picky too.

f01driver 10-23-2012 05:03 PM

Ohhh, I should have the rear DRL's added.

Wolfman64 10-24-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f01driver (Post 7151893)
Here's a brief review about the remote service Alex @ AlpineMSS provides. The total cost for this service is $100 + $50 cable deposit which you get back when you ship the cable back.

I received the cable yesterday, Alex didn't have time during the evening to code but e-mailed me that he would be able to code after work which was around 11pm. I got everything setup but ran into some issues with my wifi, Alex was extremely patient and extremely friendly throughout the entire process and had everything coded in about 15 minutes. I know some of you are doing coding yourselves but for people who don't have time to learn or don't feel comfortable coding than Alex is a great alternative. He'll coded what you like, there's no limit and if anything happens in the future he will re-code the car for free.

I may go that route again as well. Just don't have the time to deal with the software installs.

Did you get some kind of a checklist to know what can be all set? I have about 10 settings I like to change but there could be more :) A list would make it simple...

Thanks!

f01driver 10-24-2012 03:02 PM

Here's the list that was forwarded to me:

-Removal Of Seat Belt Chimes

-Removal Of Seat Belt Warnings

-Windows up/down with key

-Windows up/down with comfort access (Comfort Access Required)

-Folding Mirrors with key

-Folding Mirrors with comfort access

-Unlock doors when engine is turned off (Single pull on door handle)

-Removal of CIC Accept Warning (faster boot up after removal)

-Activate DVDinMotion (Play Videos on the go and stopped)

-Removal of camera warnings (requires cameras)

-Add Fuel Stop Proposals

-Remove window safety feature (windows will not stop rolling if door is opened)

-Remove Amber Side Marker Lights in headlights (Euro look)

-Fogs on with High Beams (Fog Lights will not turn off when high beams or used)

-Fog Lights on when car is unlocked

-Open and "close" trunk with key and inside trunk release button (requires power lift-gate)

-Add Digital Speed in Center Cluster

-Auto stop feature off when car is turned on

-Auto Climate Control off hen car is turned on

-Digital Number Display For Tire Pressure Monitor with Temperature

AdamG13 10-24-2012 03:25 PM

Look like some pretty useful changes. Thanks for that list. I talked to Alex a while back about the LED's and he lives a few blocks away from me. May have to hit him up.

f01driver 10-24-2012 04:52 PM

Yup, subtle changes but changes that come in handy like the fully automated trunk and folding mirrors on close. I also like the side amber delete; on my e92 I would still have one tiny light on which couldn't be coded out but on the 7 the amber is completely coded out. Alex is going to code in the rear DRL's for me tonight and I'm good to go.

ChrisF01 10-24-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamG13 (Post 7155625)
Look like some pretty useful changes. Thanks for that list. I talked to Alex a while back about the LED's and he lives a few blocks away from me. May have to hit him up.

Tomorrow I'll be driving up to LA so he can re-code my car. They had to replace the engine control module so its wiped clean.

Its worth getting done, and luckily for you - you live close. I'm driving 90 minutes one way for it:rofl::p

CABimmerNation 10-24-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisF02 (Post 7155796)
Tomorrow I'll be driving up to LA so he can re-code my car. They had to replace the engine control module so its wiped clean.

Its worth getting done, and luckily for you - you live close. I'm driving 90 minutes one way for it:rofl::p

Please update on how it went.
Thanks

AdamG13 10-24-2012 08:28 PM

You know how you can control all of the front passenger seat controls from the driver's panel by hitting that 'Gentleman's Function' button? It seems to work on every control aside from the passenger massage function. I need to see if that can be coded so I can be a gentleman and turn it on for some female passengers

ChrisF01 10-24-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamG13 (Post 7156208)
You know how you can control all of the front passenger seat controls from the driver's panel by hitting that 'Gentleman's Function' button? It seems to work on every control aside from the passenger massage function. I need to see if that can be coded so I can be a gentleman and turn it on for some female passengers

I'll find out for you tomorrow, I'll be meeting with him at 11am, so if you think if anything else post it.

Chris

AdamG13 10-25-2012 12:09 AM

I was half-joking on that one, but one that could be really useful is allowing the car to remember Sport or Sport+ mode at start up. Right now it only remembers normal or comfort.

ChrisF01 10-25-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CABimmerNation (Post 7155890)
Please update on how it went.
Thanks

Went smooth like the last 2 times (first time initial coding and 2nd time I added rear DRLs), just horrible LA traffic made it a longer journey. Oh well, completely worth it - its hard to go back to a "normal" car and missing the power trunk from fob and such :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamG13 (Post 7156497)
I was half-joking on that one, but one that could be really useful is allowing the car to remember Sport or Sport+ mode at start up. Right now it only remembers normal or comfort.

I asked him, he said he's still trying to figure that one out.

CABimmerNation 10-25-2012 07:01 PM

Awesome, will have to hit him up. Just ordered Dinan stage 3 exhaust today. What you said was the final push I needed. Thanks

f01driver 10-25-2012 10:04 PM

Chris, is your rear DRL's working? I had mine coded, didn't work and now I'm waiting for Alex to re-code them.

ChrisF01 10-26-2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f01driver (Post 7158492)
Chris, is your rear DRL's working? I had mine coded, didn't work and now I'm waiting for Alex to re-code them.

Yes they work, they're on as long as the "Daytime Running Lights" is checked in the iDrive. Not sure why they wouldn't be on for you as long as it's set to aktiv. Now being in Canada, do you have that option in iDrive under "Lighting" to check/uncheck Daytime Running Lights? I'm thinking because its mandatory, you might have slightly different settings.

CABimmer, you're car is sick. I still think you should post some pics for us with boring regular 7's to drool over... next time M Sport :D

nyranger74 10-26-2012 05:35 AM

how does the fuel stop proposal work? And do your tire pressures and temperatures actually displayed. I tried coding them and the numbers don't populate

f01driver 10-26-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisF02 (Post 7158572)
Yes they work, they're on as long as the "Daytime Running Lights" is checked in the iDrive. Not sure why they wouldn't be on for you as long as it's set to aktiv. Now being in Canada, do you have that option in iDrive under "Lighting" to check/uncheck Daytime Running Lights? I'm thinking because its mandatory, you might have slightly different settings.

CABimmer, you're car is sick. I still think you should post some pics for us with boring regular 7's to drool over... next time M Sport :D

Nope, don't have that option but you can code it in. I just downloaded all the software so I'm going to go in and code myself, wish me luck!

BMR2009 10-26-2012 04:10 PM

I've come into this rather late, but would appreciate the sharing of the process. Does Alex send you the materials to conduct these changes, then you send them back? I am very interested. Could you please forward his contact information or a web link. Thank you.

f01driver 10-26-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMR2009 (Post 7159920)
I've come into this rather late, but would appreciate the sharing of the process. Does Alex send you the materials to conduct these changes, then you send them back? I am very interested. Could you please forward his contact information or a web link. Thank you.

Yup, basically the cost is $100 for any amount of coding, $50 deposit for the cable, you get this back once you mail the cable back to him. He also sends you a USB stick with the programs needed. All you have to do is load the programs up, he remotely logs on and does the coding for you. I can't stress enough how friendly and patient Alex is, one of the best vendors I've dealt with.

You can e-mail him at alex@alpinemss.com.

BMR2009 10-26-2012 04:52 PM

I will contact him. Thank you very much.

f01driver 10-26-2012 07:11 PM

So I just coded my car, yay. Coding is pretty straight forward, the time consuming part is downloading the software. For computer savvy people, coding is basically like going into windows registry, it's very hard to mess up because the instructions are clear cut and you're change one value at a time.

As for the rear DRLs, I was able to code the rear DRLs and the value you're looking to change the default value to is "TFL_S". This enables front and rear DRLs on the f01.

f01driver 11-06-2012 11:00 PM

Just coded the turn signals into the HUD;

http://oi50.tinypic.com/2942zrq.jpg

750Rick 11-08-2012 02:22 PM

Is it possible to code a function to automatically lock all doors 15 seconds or so after the motor stops and the drivers door is opened and then closed?

dmunz 11-12-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyranger74 (Post 7158704)
how does the fuel stop proposal work? And do your tire pressures and temperatures actually displayed. I tried coding them and the numbers don't populate

There was a big discussion about this in the coding forum. There are a few GT owners (we use the F01 coding) that tried the TPMS and some of us (NOT ME) got it to work. We started to collect year/model/tire data but it al fizzeled out.

Very frustrating as this was one of the things I really wanted to work.

Just FYI

FWIW
DLM