Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Clicking when steering? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653695)

AdamG13 10-23-2012 04:03 PM

Clicking when steering?

Anyone hear a clicking sound coming from their 7 when steering at low speeds? I've been hearing it for months every time I pull out or into a parking spot, typically when the steering wheel is being turned counter clockwise. Dealer is trying to tell me it's normal on this car because of brake caliper movement. I think that's bull****, since BMW service seems doesn't seem beyond making nonsense up when they can't figure something out. If anyone has had this problem and has had it resolved please let me know the means so I can try to push them into trying that before I pick the car up.

dbs600 10-23-2012 05:24 PM

Sorry to hear, but keep us posted.

Have you told them it's a new problem and the car hasn't always done it?

AdamG13 10-23-2012 05:48 PM

Yeah, same old excuses though. They seem absolutely clueless as to what they can do to fix it. Sometimes I feel like these Germans make cars that are too complicated for the training their service techs receive out here in America. They've got me in a GMC Yukon loaner for the moment, and it reminds me of how much less drama there was when I owned an American car.

the-pm 10-24-2012 01:01 AM

What they say does sound plausible, I have not had it on my 7 but did have this on my previous vehicle. The fix was to take the pads out, and apply a large amount of copper grease to the back of the pads. Unfortunately it is not a long term fix but it take no time to try and then at least you/the dealer will know if it is this or not.

Deutsch100 10-24-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamG13 (Post 7153367)
Yeah, same old excuses though. They seem absolutely clueless as to what they can do to fix it. Sometimes I feel like these Germans make cars that are too complicated for the training their service techs receive out here in America. They've got me in a GMC Yukon loaner for the moment, and it reminds me of how much less drama there was when I owned an American car.

Less drama!! :thumbup: We have a 2012 Ford F-150 Raptor truck (which we LOVE & drive almost daily)....and compared with the Bentley, Rolls Royce and SLS AMG...the Raptor truck is NO drama, no "quirks" and it just works easily and perfectly every time!!! The high end British and German marques always have odd issues, sounds, software updates, pecuilar noises that come and go. BUT....I love high end cars, but they require a lot of patience and being "open minded". LOL

AdamG13 10-24-2012 12:06 PM

Thanks. Contacted another dealership and they advised to use the exact same fix you did, so I forwarded this on to the service center my car is at. Not sure why they couldn't figure this out on their own, as they are one of the only dealerships in the LA area that have a solid reputation. Advised to lubricate the brake pads and the calipers on the front wheels. I can deal with having to bring the car in for issues like this, but I shouldn't be the one having to do the research for these jabronies!

AdamG13 10-24-2012 12:16 PM

Ford truck interiors are actually pretty nice for American cars too. Much better than Chevrolet in my opinion. I had an Expedition Eddie Bauer for a while when I first got out of school, and really had no complaints aside from it feeling a little underpowered compared to a Tahoe - but at least it didn't have all of that GM shiny plastic all over the cabin

Wolfman64 10-24-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deutsch100 (Post 7154386)
Less drama!! :thumbup: We have a 2012 Ford F-150 Raptor truck (which we LOVE & drive almost daily)....and compared with the Bentley, Rolls Royce and SLS AMG...the Raptor truck is NO drama, no "quirks" and it just works easily and perfectly every time!!! The high end British and German marques always have odd issues, sounds, software updates, pecuilar noises that come and go. BUT....I love high end cars, but they require a lot of patience and being "open minded". LOL

When living in Switzerland I spent a lot of time driving to our other European facilities and had the opportunity to put a lot of high speed highway miles on our cars (mainly Mercedes).

Besides spending insane amounts on gas, multiple sets of tires per year and plenty of brake sets, I have never had that much fun driving :)

That said, the cars performed flawless without breakdowns or displaying the kind of annoyances I am experiencing with them in the US. I'd probably compare my experience to your Ford Raptor one.

But then 99% of my time sitting in the car is in slow city traffic. I have to admit that I am listening to the smallest of noises here while I couldn't have cared less going 150+ down the Autobahn ;)

AdamG13 10-24-2012 01:09 PM

From the dealer:

Morning Adam, my shop foreman *** spoke with Lauderdale BMW this morning and found out that they lubed the caliper slides at no charge as a courtesy to silence the clicking noise. Unfortunately, BMW does not cover "unpleasant noises", and Jim said that for $290.00, he will pull the front/rear pads off the vehicle, and lube the caliper slides again if you would like, but this not a warrantable repair due to it not being a parts defect. Let me know how to continue.

Starting to lose my cool on this one. Just about had it with having to fight with dealerships every time I bring my car in for something. Here's my reply:

What kind of bull**** service is this? One dealer wants to charge me $290 for what another dealer did for free? I'm pretty sure this is marketed as a luxury vehicle, not a utility vehicle. Would they really go through the effort of installing noise-reducing glass if they wanted us to just deal with "unpleasant noises?" I haven't heard this or any other unpredictable noise on any of my loaner BMWs, my previous 7-series, or the Lexus I've owned before this. Brief your service manager on this and have him call me.

AdamG13 10-24-2012 01:47 PM

Update: Worked. Got them to fix it. Hate having to be a jerk about this stuff.

Deutsch100 10-24-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamG13 (Post 7155050)
Thanks. Contacted another dealership and they advised to use the exact same fix you did, so I forwarded this on to the service center my car is at. Not sure why they couldn't figure this out on their own, as they are one of the only dealerships in the LA area that have a solid reputation. Advised to lubricate the brake pads and the calipers on the front wheels. I can deal with having to bring the car in for issues like this, but I shouldn't be the one having to do the research for these jabronies!

Adam, what LA dealer do you use? We use/used Bob Smith in Calabasas. Generally very happy with them. Also Rusnak in Westlake is supposed to be very good too.

-Adam (I'm an Adam too :thumbup:)

AdamG13 10-24-2012 02:41 PM

I use a few of them depending on what I need done and where I happen to be. I agree that Rusnak is one of the most professional. It's a little far from me, but the ride isn't all that bad.

Santa Monica BMW is really close to me, so I use them for quick things like oil changes and they've always been easy to work with - but if it's anything that requires leaving my car overnight I can't use them since they only issue loaners if you bought your car there. I bought mine at Pacific but their service department can be a hassle to deal with so I usually avoid them.

AdamG13 10-24-2012 09:17 PM

Just got it back. Finally quiet like my Lexus was. I blame BMW NA's policies more than the dealerships for this kind of difficulty, as they give them a hard time about reimbursing for work done to get rid of unexpected noises. Requested that one of BMW NA's reps call me tomorrow and am going to remind them that if they charge 100k for a car, paying the dealer to deal with minor annoyances is just going to come with the territory of pricing a car into the ultra luxury class. Not that it will make any difference to them, but at least it will be on record.

kpumroy 10-25-2012 06:12 AM

I have noticed this on my 2009 750i. Had my service department grease them as you had done. It is a temporary fix at best. The problem is the pads have a little too much room to move or shift in the caliper. Its not really a safety issue so I doubt you will get much satisfaction from the dealer. Not many people seem to turn wrenches on this board but I was wondering if aftermarket pads or later year spec pads might fit better.

dbs600 10-25-2012 09:42 AM

Congrats on finding resolution, and keep us posted on your discussions with corporate.