Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   ECU Mapping (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653719)

engineer_smith 10-23-2012 05:12 PM

ECU Mapping

What is a good software package for DIY fuel,ign, and vanos tuning.
I am looking at getting an E46 to replace my E30 and want to do my own mapping as I have the ability to dyno tune myself.

Fast Bob 10-23-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engineer_smith (Post 7153416)
I am looking at getting an E46 to replace my E30 and want to do my own mapping as I have the ability to dyno tune myself.

Never seen or heard of such a thing (custom software) for the E46.....even the big guns like Dinan don`t have that in their arsenal. The "normal" stuff like the Conforti Shark, Dinan chip, etc., has not proven to be worth the price of admission.

chansta 10-23-2012 05:53 PM

i'd call around some tuning shops and see what they use.

engineer_smith 10-23-2012 05:55 PM

what about people adding performance parts how are they remapping their ECU's?
Are they just getting maps from aftermarket suppliers or are they doing custom mapping?
Im basically looking for something like EFI Live for a BMW

Fast Bob 10-23-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engineer_smith (Post 7153489)
what about people adding performance parts how are they remapping their ECU's?
Are they just getting maps from aftermarket suppliers or are they doing custom mapping?
Im basically looking for something like EFI Live for a BMW

You really need to start reading this Forum more often....these cars are not like Hondas, Camaros, Mustangs, etc. (i.e., all the bolt-on stuff that enhances those engines doesn`t work on BMWs). The only "performance parts" worth investing in is a supercharger, which is typically a $7500 (or more) investment, and comes with it`s own supporting electronics. Other than FI, there`s not much that will add any significant power.

heztheone 10-23-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Bob (Post 7153920)
You really need to start reading this Forum more often....these cars are not like Hondas, Camaros, Mustangs, etc. (i.e., all the bolt-on stuff that enhances those engines doesn`t work on BMWs). The only "performance parts" worth investing in is a supercharger, which is typically a $7500 (or more) investment, and comes with it`s own supporting electronics. Other than FI, there`s not much that will add any significant power.

i have to disagree with u Bob on this one, where i am, tuning shops do ECU remaps for around 600$ and give u an additional 15hp (dyno test seen)
if u have installed aftermarket parts expect the gain to increase even more
ECU remaps vary based on the company, i can't remember which company had that software, but i'm sure to have that remap once i get CAI and headers.
one thing though, will an ECU remap overwrite the Shark Injector software? :eeps:

Fast Bob 10-23-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heztheone (Post 7153961)
i have to disagree with u Bob on this one, where i am, tuning shops do ECU remaps for around 600$ and give u an additional 15hp (dyno test seen)
if u have installed aftermarket parts expect the gain to increase even more
ECU remaps vary based on the company, i can't remember which company had that software, but i'm sure to have that remap once i get CAI and headers.
one thing though, will an ECU remap overwrite the Shark Injector software? :eeps:

Sorry, but I`ll believe that one when I see it. And, Bucko, your car already HAS a CAI....the most effective one available. And yes, the overwrite would negate the Shark....

Seriously, man....you need to refocus your energy....you`re talking about spending a substantial amount of dough on all this crap, and FOR WHAT ???? **Maybe** your car will be a TENTH of a second faster in the quarter-mile ??? I fail to see the logic there.

heztheone 10-24-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Bob (Post 7154018)
Sorry, but I`ll believe that one when I see it.

i'll see if my friend still has the results printed from the dyno test

Quote:

And, Bucko, your car already HAS a CAI....the most effective one available.

i do believe there is a gain of 2-3 hp, for a custom built CAI for around 80-100$ (the work in progress one i'm planning right now) i don't think it would hurt my wallet much :dunno:

Quote:

Seriously, man....you need to refocus your energy....you`re talking about spending a substantial amount of dough on all this crap, and FOR WHAT ???? **Maybe** your car will be a TENTH of a second faster in the quarter-mile ??? I fail to see the logic there.

1,000$ for custom CAI, + Headers (bimmerbrakes) + Remap, and get gain of around 35 hp, i don't think it is that substantial amount of dough :dunno:
and it's not just to gain that tenth of a second in quarter-mile (i believe the difference would be more with those upgrades) u'll feel ur car very more responsive and torquy when hitting those twisties :D

scarede46er 10-24-2012 08:02 AM

There is no need for the CAI. It will not give you more gains since the BMWs already have a true CAI. The headers, maybe around 15 hp. You should get cheap ones of ebay and ceramic coat them. BMWs are already well tuned from the factory. You may want to reset adaptations after that, but that is it.

Fast Bob 10-24-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heztheone (Post 7154137)
i'll see if my friend still has the results printed from the dyno test

i do believe there is a gain of 2-3 hp, for a custom built CAI for around 80-100$ (the work in progress one i'm planning right now) i don't think it would hurt my wallet much :dunno:

1,000$ for custom CAI, + Headers (bimmerbrakes) + Remap, and get gain of around 35 hp, i don't think it is that substantial amount of dough :dunno:
and it's not just to gain that tenth of a second in quarter-mile (i believe the difference would be more with those upgrades) u'll feel ur car very more responsive and torquy when hitting those twisties :D

You`re overlooking one important fact....*mods are not cumulative*....so, IF that Magic CAI promises a 5 HP gain, headers, 15 HP, and a remap, 10 HP, you THINK you`re getting a 30 HP improvement, right ?

Unfortunately *not*....the values for each mod don`t "stack up".... in The Real World, you`d be lucky to get a true 20 HP increase.

nivo 10-24-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engineer_smith (Post 7153416)

Question is which E46 will you be getting?
Anything MS45 will be a challenge unless you have enough money to throw into Dimsport software/hardware or equal dealer style software going for $5,000 USD+

MS43 you can do with Tunerpro and extracting the DME BIN files. you will need the hardware to flash/extract. make changes in Tuner pro, I think there are a few with checksums already.

Or you can go with a piggy back.