Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   FSD's, ride height and alignment. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653939)

TXFred 10-24-2012 05:37 PM

FSD's, ride height and alignment.

I'm planning a Koni FSD install, and wanted to get a few things straight in my head before I started the work.

I've ridden and modified motorcycles for many years, and am very skilled mechanically. However, I'm still new to cars, so chassis geometry and suspension is not something I know a lot about. So I have some questions.

1. Do the FSDs provide any way to adjust ride height? I'm not looking to lower the car, just adjust it to factory specifications. Possibly, I'd even raise it just a bit to get some more clearance on speed bumps.

2. Does the car need to be aligned after I replace the struts, assuming no other changes are made?

3. Does the car need to be aligned after I adjust the ride height?

Cheers,
Frederic

captainaudio 10-24-2012 06:33 PM

The FSDs are a replacement for the OEM shocks and do not have an adjustment for ride height. After I had them installed I did not need to have an alignment.

CA

CALWATERBOY 10-24-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXFred (Post 7155762)
1. Do the FSDs provide any way to adjust ride height? I'm not looking to lower the car, just adjust it to factory specifications. Possibly, I'd even raise it just a bit to get some more clearance on speed bumps.

2. Does the car need to be aligned after I replace the struts, assuming no other changes are made?

1) No
2) Recommended
3) Yes!

I wouldn't raise the height. Skosh lower maybe, but there's no stock adj. Stock alignment: Front & Rear Toe; Rear Camber. Zero thrust angle. Optional: BMW recommended weights.

Here's what I did - might assist.

ramblinman 10-24-2012 07:11 PM

I always get an alignment after changing struts. Theoretically, a new strut shouldn't change the alignment if it's an oem spec replacement, but any good mechanic will tell you to at least have the alignment checked. For the price of bmw replacement tires, it's cheap insurance. I just had FSD's installed a few months ago and the shop included an alignment with their estimate, even though the subbed out they work and made no money on it.

TXFred 10-24-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7155939)
Here's what I did - might assist.

Good link. Thanks!

Since I'm just swapping struts, I assume I won't have to do as much work as you did. Reading your post, it's hard to tell what is part of the strut replacement, and what is being done so you can add /M components.

I've done shock replacement before (Nissan pickup) but not struts. With shocks, I just jack the car, remove the wheel, unbolt the shock, then install the new one. With the struts, is it the same other than the need to use a spring compressor?

Frederic

CALWATERBOY 10-24-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXFred (Post 7156184)
Since I'm just swapping struts, I assume I won't have to do as much work as you did. Reading your post, it's hard to tell what is part of the strut replacement, and what is being done so you can add /M components.

I've done shock replacement before (Nissan pickup) but not struts. With shocks, I just jack the car, remove the wheel, unbolt the shock, then install the new one. With the struts, is it the same other than the need to use a spring compressor?

More or less, assuming your coilovers [struts] come pre-assembled. Def need spring compressors to get stock out; progressive springs in. If linear springs, may have enough clearance not to need compressors.

When doing it, my gibberish will make sense. Get a couple o'3/8 female x 1/4" male adaptors - they're cheap but easily self destruct. Or a real spreader tool....

Front's easy and struts are a quick job. Rear's a bit more trouble. Correct torque important on BMW's!

ModBargains.com 11-13-2012 09:25 PM

The KONI FSD shocks are an OEM replacement. You can reuse your factory springs or aftermarket lowering springs with them. You do not have the ability to adjust the height and that is something that you would get with a coilover system.

Yes, an alignment is recommended when replacing the shocks.

Replacing the shocks does not affect the height of the car. If you have coilovers and adjust the height, then an alignment would be recommended.