Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E34 (1989 - 1995) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Carsoft - Any good? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653984)

BMWFatherFigure 10-24-2012 08:35 PM

Carsoft - Any good?
 
I am thinking of getting diagnostic software. Is Carsoft any good? Are there better?
Is it easy to use / accurate / well supported by vendor? Opinions from users please.

robertobaggio20 10-24-2012 09:16 PM

DIS or EASY DIS is far superior. Its a little harder to setup at first, but there are many online forums (and videos on youtube) describing the exact steps that you need to take. Once installed, it stays installed.

The diagnostic connectors etc can be purchased off ebay for between $50-$150. References to which work and which don't are also found on those other forums.

It would be a good idea to get a car charger for your laptop as well.

And you need to check if your modern USB-port-only laptop can function with the diagnostic connectors. They may not, without the use of adaptors. Again, there are forums and threads on this in detail.

Actually, I have a link :

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=233

It seems mindboggling but if you are patient, it will become clear. The key thing about easy dis is that it was originally built to run on a Unix machine. So, if you are using a windows or mac laptop, you'll need to first create an artificial unix environment, and then install dis into that environment. It sounds confusing but its not when they explain the big picture to you (which many online forums don't, hence my exhortation to your patience).


rgds,
Roberto

1995i540 10-25-2012 01:26 PM

Carsoft is garbage, the setup described above is garbage as well unless you can get your hands on a proper laptop that matches specs to the point.

Otherwise have fun having horrible feedback/unstable setup and reinstalling it every few weeks. Major PITA.

robertobaggio20 10-25-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1995i540 (Post 7157587)
Carsoft is garbage, the setup described above is garbage as well unless you can get your hands on a proper laptop that matches specs to the point.

Otherwise have fun having horrible feedback/unstable setup and reinstalling it every few weeks. Major PITA.

There are many people who use ediabas/inpad, easy dis, gt1 and other similar systems reliably. The key is good preparation, which comes from reliable and comprehensive information, which can only be identified by the determined application of patience to the process of online research.

In short, if you're not a pioneer for something, and you have screwed it up, then its quite likely that you've not done sufficient research to prepare yourself.

The most effective mantra when approaching such situations seems to be "no pressure, no pressure. "

1995i540 10-26-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertobaggio20 (Post 7158260)
There are many people who use ediabas/inpad, easy dis, gt1 and other similar systems reliably. The key is good preparation, which comes from reliable and comprehensive information, which can only be identified by the determined application of patience to the process of online research.

In short, if you're not a pioneer for something, and you have screwed it up, then its quite likely that you've not done sufficient research to prepare yourself.

The most effective mantra when approaching such situations seems to be "no pressure, no pressure. "

Have you used it? :rolleyes:

robertobaggio20 10-26-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1995i540 (Post 7158956)
Have you used it? :rolleyes:

1. The mantra ? I've not used it enough. It re centres me whenever I do.
2. Ediabas inpa ? I've looked through the forums and youtube links and am in the process of acquiring the hardware. Everything should be up and running by the end of November. I am familiar enough to know that its not usually well explained on the forums (someone here had to tell me about the different computing environments explicitly, whereas something as important as this for the 'big picture' aspect of the thing, should be clearly stated on the forums by people doing the writeups but they don't), hence my exhortation to be very patient when approaching this the installation.

I might post a writeup about it if I find the process to be vastly simpler once understood than how it is usually described online.


rgds,
Roberto

1995i540 10-26-2012 02:15 PM

Okay let me know once you get GT1 working, I will check back in 2015.

robertobaggio20 10-26-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1995i540 (Post 7159688)
Okay let me know once you get GT1 working, I will check back in 2015.

Why are you so pessimistic ? And who uses GT1 these days ? I'm going to get you to use easy dis. That's our december 2012 project together. :)

BMWFatherFigure 10-28-2012 03:36 AM

I will read results B 4 getting my money out.

robertobaggio20 10-28-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWFatherFigure (Post 7162009)
I will read results B 4 getting my money out.

1995i540 will be your no2 on this one after I'm done with his setup. :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms