Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   535 tune or chip (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654220)

miwitte 10-26-2012 05:16 AM

535 tune or chip

new member here and looking for info on a tune or chip for the 2007-2008 535i. is it a flash of the PCM or a inline chip that modifies the boost? with the chip is it faster than a 550? what about a CPO vehicle with a extended warranty from dealer will it void that warranty? can it be removed or backed out without leaving a signiture?

Phoenix1 10-26-2012 01:38 PM

Go to www.cobbtuning.com and this will answer many questions. Also search the forum - lots of discussions.

nickp3 10-26-2012 04:09 PM

I have to cobb accessport. It flashes the computer. I am also under CPO warranty. When I bring the car in I uninstall the tune. Have had no issues with the dealer.

Akshun 10-31-2012 06:33 PM

Forget cobb. get a dinan tune. No issues with the warranty because BMW works with the directly with the company.

PolkNole 10-31-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akshun (Post 7169011)
Forget cobb. get a dinan tune. No issues with the warranty because BMW works with the directly with the company.

Dinan is the LAST boost choice I'd make.
  • Most expensive, by far.
  • Least power boost.
  • Least flexible.

...and btw they do NOT work directly with BMW.

Now having said all that, YES, get DINAN versus not getting a boost at all.

JB4 is my drug of choice.:thumbup:

Akshun 10-31-2012 07:15 PM

lol. Bro, BMW stealerships install Dinan products. Period. So...yes... they work directly with BMW. Try to get the stealership to install your cruddy JB4.

They are expensive because they are the only tunes sanctioned by BMW so there's a price to pay. JB4 is a Great Choice if you want to remove the tune prior to getting your car worked on every time so you don't void the BMW warranty.

TLO03 10-31-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akshun (Post 7169011)

Forget get Dinan , No issuses with my Jb4 and Cobb installed plus the fmic dp's intake and exhaust , and a 3qt bottle of meth under the hood. Because I work with my SA's and techs, and ask only for a phone call before they plug my car into the mothership.

You guys are so scared, talk nice ask open end questions "lets say I did put bigger turbos on my car?" Get a feel for them coffee and donuts gose a long way with these guys. You want them to be your friends.

My cars been to 2 different dealerships this way never a problem. And I broke plenty.

xclone 11-01-2012 04:18 PM

Dinan are, by far, the weakest tune and yes, while they do warranty their work they are extremely overpriced for the money. There are thousands of N54 engines running around with JB4 and Cobb's without problems. Any tune you get will tax your components more (plugs, injectors & coils primarily) but with a Dinan you pay twice as much for half the fun of a cobb or JB4. I don;t like monkeying around under the hood so I went with a cobb. If I need to take the car in I plug it in, remove the run (10 minutes) and, voila, i;m done. Of course, I've also got downpipes, an FMIC, intake, Meth, Exhaust, a charge pipe and aftermarket DV's so, obviously, there is alot more going on but as was said above, talk with your SA and gauge how open they are.

PolkNole 11-01-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akshun (Post 7169089)
lol. Bro, BMW stealerships install Dinan products. Period. So...yes... they work directly with BMW. Try to get the stealership to install your cruddy JB4.

They are expensive because they are the only tunes sanctioned by BMW so there's a price to pay. JB4 is a Great Choice if you want to remove the tune prior to getting your car worked on every time so you don't void the BMW warranty.

You're completely wrong.

booyaazaa 11-01-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xclone (Post 7170725)
dinan are, by far, the weakest tune and yes, while they do warranty their work they are extremely overpriced for the money. There are thousands of n54 engines running around with jb4 and cobb's without problems. Any tune you get will tax your components more (plugs, injectors & coils primarily) but with a dinan you pay twice as much for half the fun of a cobb or jb4. I don;t like monkeying around under the hood so i went with a cobb. If i need to take the car in i plug it in, remove the run (10 minutes) and, voila, i;m done. Of course, i've also got downpipes, an fmic, intake, meth, exhaust, a charge pipe and aftermarket dv's so, obviously, there is alot more going on but as was said above, talk with your sa and gauge how open they are.

+1

ModBargains.com 11-08-2012 10:40 AM

The Cobb AccesPORT is one of the best tunes that are available for the N54. It gives the user full control and you'll be able to run different maps depending on the mods you have on your car. The Cobb saves your stock map file during the install and it'll flash your car back to it's original settings during the uninstall process. It'll wipe the ECU of any trace and you wont have any issues!

Akshun 11-08-2012 10:42 AM

Sounds like a useless game of chicken if you ask me..

F1.tifosi 11-08-2012 11:41 AM

Akshun

As i had told in another post dinan is for someone who cares about warranty, that being said if you have a new car.. you will be covered under your 4yr factory warranty. If you are in an extended warranty or CPO, you will know when you face an issue how the stealership responds.. Dinan can come to rescue you for the first 2 yrs thats it..

In terms of performance, Dinan is the weakest which is being explained in detail in many posts. You can do a search.

I just cannot imagine of spending around 2K for such a lousy tuning...

Xclone has a Cobb stage 2 with lots of mod added to it, Its an "M5" in terms of performance and power. And i always like to get something that i enjoi the most, so for me cars like xclone is a dream come true..

You need to feel it to understand what we are talking..

Good luck

F1.tifosi 11-08-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xclone (Post 7170725)
dinan are, by far, the weakest tune and yes, while they do warranty their work they are extremely overpriced for the money. There are thousands of n54 engines running around with jb4 and cobb's without problems. Any tune you get will tax your components more (plugs, injectors & coils primarily) but with a dinan you pay twice as much for half the fun of a cobb or jb4. I don;t like monkeying around under the hood so i went with a cobb. If i need to take the car in i plug it in, remove the run (10 minutes) and, voila, i;m done. Of course, i've also got downpipes, an fmic, intake, meth, exhaust, a charge pipe and aftermarket dv's so, obviously, there is alot more going on but as was said above, talk with your sa and gauge how open they are.

+1..

Phoenix1 11-10-2012 08:10 AM

If 2008 I was getting a new cat, wanted the protection of the Matching warranty and was not a DIY guy

Phoenix1 11-10-2012 08:17 AM

I hate the iPhone...

In 2008 I had a new car, wanted the matching warranty, was not a DIY guy and had the $$$, went with Dinan and glad I did it.

I would NOT spend the $$$ on installing Dinan on a used E60/61. The matching warranty (if any) will be over soon.

Get JB4 or Cobb...

Oceans10 11-10-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix1 (Post 7187121)
If 2008 I was getting a new cat, wanted the protection of the Matching warranty and was not a DIY guy

Dinan is big $$ for little gain. Even a JB+ piggyback has same power and costs 1/10th.
That said any tune will obviously improve performance. It's just a matter of bang for buck.
Some people might sleep better at night with the Dinan, that's fine. But there are better choices in terms of performance, and they all cost a lot less. Cobb you just remove it from the ODB port, JB4 you turn off on the steering wheel.
Show me one instance where someone had their waranty voided due to an aftermarket tune. I have yet to see a single post on that. :dunno:

paulo6 11-14-2012 03:42 PM

My Cobb 2 cents

I installed S1 Agressive in June and havent looked back..been a pretty impessive car to drive. Now, I am taking my car tomorrow for battery change, so I uninsalled and flashed original curves. That alone (ease of installing/uninstalling) makes it worth every penny. But what blew me away was the difference I noticed now that the S1 Aggressive curve has been uninstalled. This car is a dog, now this is relative of course. Its just interesting that I noticed the amazing impact of COBB after uninstalling..I cant wait for new battery so I can go back to COBB.
Go COBB and dont look back