Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E34 (1989 - 1995) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   My rear calipers rattle. Can you see anything missing? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654229)

Ssuss34 10-26-2012 06:29 AM

My rear calipers rattle. Can you see anything missing?

Check the pic, tell me if the retainer clip is installed wrongly or I'm missing shims or anything else you may find.

Ssuss34 10-26-2012 06:29 AM

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9f002f68.jpg

robertobaggio20 10-26-2012 07:01 AM

Your calliper clip does not look right...its not curvy enough, so its probably loose and thus causing the rattle.

The calliper clip is the thing that looks like a miniature bow used for archery. Look it up on realoem.com.

This is a cheap fix and easy to replace if you know the technique.

Ssuss34 10-26-2012 07:17 AM

Thanks, can the clips be bent to make them work?

Also, can someone post up a detailed up close pic of their rear calipers so I can compare. I also want to see if I am missing shims.

supertech777 10-26-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ssuss34 (Post 7158771)
Check the pic, tell me if the retainer clip is installed wrongly or I'm missing shims or anything else you may find.

This I just got done doing , the rattle in my caliper was due to the inside brake pad by the piston was lose . All you have to do is take that brake pad out and spread the tension spring out and put it back in the piston .
:thumbup:
Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App

1995i540 10-26-2012 07:59 AM

Check the bolts behind it and make sure they are tight.

robertobaggio20 10-26-2012 01:22 PM

No it cannot realistically be bent correctly and new ones are fairly cheap, just a couple of dollars, and this almost never fails, so I wouldn't bother.

Ssuss34 10-27-2012 08:29 PM

Supertech 777 - can you please explain what work you did? I have the same problem as you had. Do you need to take the caliper off. And what do you mean by the tension spring?

BMR_LVR 10-27-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supertech777 (Post 7158916)
This I just got done doing , the rattle in my caliper was due to the inside brake pad by the piston was lose . All you have to do is take that brake pad out and spread the tension spring out and put it back in the piston .
:thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ssuss34 (Post 7161762)
Supertech 777 - can you please explain what work you did? I have the same problem as you had. Do you need to take the caliper off. And what do you mean by the tension spring?

Noel's not on at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I know what he is talking about. When you get a set of brake pads, one of them (the one that abuts the caliper piston) has three prongs that are attached to the back of the pad . The tongs go into the caliper piston with tension against the lumen of the piston. He is suggesting that you take the pad out, spread the prongs a little and then place it back into the lumen of the caliper piston.

Hope this helps explain it for you.

PS: Noel, correct me if I am wrong.

supertech777 10-27-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMR_LVR (Post 7161779)
Noel's not on at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I know what he is talking about. When you get a set of brake pads, one of them (the one that abuts the caliper piston) has three prongs that are attached to the back of the pad . The tongs go into the caliper piston with tension against the lumen of the piston. He is suggesting that you take the pad out, spread the prongs a little and then place it back into the lumen of the caliper piston.

Hope this helps explain it for you.

PS: Noel, correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks Steve , LOL I know you've done it yourself . Best regards to you and your family , and that includes your e34
Noel

Ssuss34 10-28-2012 01:40 AM

Thanks for the explanation. Will take a look at it next weekend.

Just to confirm to you all, my rattle was coming from both rear inside break pads ( pads furthest away from the wheel ). They both had a bit of play and rattle loudly even when touched with my finger. As a temporary fix I just knocked a thin peice of tin between the base of the pad and the caliper housing then bent it around so it would not fall out of place whilst still allowing the pad to move back and forth. Rattle has gone away. Will do proper fix on the weekend.

BMWFatherFigure 10-28-2012 03:12 AM

+1 on suggested fix. You will need a 7mm hex key to get the caliper off. Rubber grease when you re-assemble.

Ssuss34 10-28-2012 03:19 AM

Thanks for the heads up.