Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   DTC light on 1997 328i sedan -- need advice (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654708)

bmw4ed 10-28-2012 07:09 PM

DTC light on 1997 328i sedan -- need advice

The dash light stays on constantly. It shows a triangle with an "!" inside it and an open circle with an arrow outside the triangle. I cleaned all wheel sensors and filled the master brake cylinder. Do I need to reset the light or is there another problem? Do I need to drive it to reset it? Do I need a scanner to reset it? What is the "ASC" button in front of the gear selector? Is it related to this? Appreicate all the help I get.:(

bmw4ed 10-28-2012 07:11 PM

Someone said Autozone can scan it for free. Is their scanner good enough to find all probable causes?

TRaV MaNN 10-28-2012 07:18 PM

We live in CA, they wont scan it anymore. I bought a generic reader for about $70. However, they only pertain to the Check Engine light.

ASC is stability control. Unhook the battery for about 20 minutes and let the car reset itself. I have nver had those lights so I don't know if that would work or it would have to be cleared with a code reader.

bmw4ed 10-28-2012 10:30 PM

Its a ASC+T (Automatic Stability Control plus Traction), yellow light that"s on

I called it a DTC light earlier. It is actually an "ASC+T (Automatic Stability Control plus Traction), yellow light" that"s on constantly. Any ideas what to check for? Do I need a scanner to diagnose & reset, or can I just disconnect the battery cable and wait 20 mins, or drive the car awhile, or etc?:)

TRaV MaNN 10-28-2012 10:55 PM

There should be a button above the shifter that says ASC on it. Hit that and it turns it on and off.

It could have been takin out by PO (The actual ASC connected to to the intake) because if you don't experience much snow driving I think it's just pointless.

bmw4ed 10-28-2012 11:34 PM

ASC+T light on constantly, won't turn off using ASC button

Thanks, but I tried pressing the ASC button near the shifter. The ASC+T light still stays on. Could it be a bad switch? Bad relay? Bad control module? I may have been a little low on brake fluid in the master cylinder, so I topped it off. Light still stays on. Do I need to reset the light, or is there still a problem causing it to stay on? Has anyone else on the forum had this problem? If so, please help.

bmw4ed 10-28-2012 11:37 PM

I found this link describing the ASC+T system. It shows tons of things to check for, but not how to check them or what to check first.

bmw4ed 10-28-2012 11:38 PM

The link which describes the ASC+T system http://www.steerbythrottle.com/hccyo.../E36_ASC+T.pdf

BMRfanatic 10-29-2012 12:18 AM

Did you get the car like this?

Im assuming the ABS light is on too?

bmw4ed 10-29-2012 02:39 PM

No other dash lights are on, just the ASC-T light which is a triangle with a "!" inside it and an open circle outside it with an arrow

bmw4ed 10-29-2012 02:53 PM

It my sisters car, she bought it new. She doesnt remember when or why it came on

ZeGerman 10-29-2012 03:03 PM

Firstly, simply cleaning the wheel speed sensors will not make the problem go away if the ASC-T light is being illuminated because of a faulty wheel speed sensor(s). They will obviously need to be replaced if they are defective. That said, there is a chance that the light is being turned on for some other reason. Check all related fuses and relays, and then have the car scanned. If all fuses/relays and wheel speed sensors check out okay, it's most likely a faulty control module. You can have the wheel speed sensors tested, too.

bmw4ed 10-29-2012 08:19 PM

Thanks ZeGerman, for the great reply....what kind of scanner can I use? I'm reluctant to pay he dealer $175 to scan it. Can any ordinary OBD II scanner work? I think Walmart sells them. Which relays can I check myself (with a DMM) or should I let the scanner tell me which relays to check? Which fuses (I don't think the scanner will tell me which fuses)? The reason I cleaned the sensors is because I read about it on some website. I guess it makes sense if iron filings or rust from the rotors are stuck to the sensor with road grime. I did clean off a lot of grime. The same website did say you can test the sensors using a DMM, but I forgot how. Do you agree with this method? If so, I can test them for a faulty one.

southpark11235 10-29-2012 08:56 PM

Unfortunately a cheap generic obd-ii reader can only see what BMW was legally required to let it see. Everything else is on BMWs own system. Here are two code read that can read BMW's system. code reader 1 code reader 2

bmw4ed 10-31-2012 05:44 PM

Updates: Looked at fuses and relays under the hood. The #7 fuse appears burnt. It is stated to be for the alarm system (which actually works as far as the alarm going off when I open the door without using the remote control). The big orange "ASC" relay is firmly in place, I can remove and test it with my DMM. I noticed the contacts are pretty clean but covered with what appears to be a "varnish" coating. I thought it may be a protective (dielectric?) grease, but it's hard so I guess it's maybe corrosion. THe contacts are copper, so copper oxide should look dark brown (like an old penney) but this is more of a bright, clear coating like varnish would look. Maybe it's dried dielectic grease? So, I'll [1] replace the #7 fuse, [2] test the relay, and [3] clean the relay contacts with sandpaper and reinstall it. Results later. Any feedback at this point would help....such as, which other relays and fuses could cause the ASC light to be lit constantly whenever the engine is on (no other lights are on)? What about the big orange ABC relay next to the big, orange ASC relay?