Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   X5 N55 Burger Tuning Stage 1 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654757)

grilodan 10-29-2012 02:35 AM

X5 N55 Burger Tuning Stage 1
 
Hey guys, I just ordered Terry's tune for the X5. Anyone here who has installed this? Installation guide only shows F10 and no pictures of the E70 at all. Thanks!

macming 10-29-2012 06:41 PM

Interesting product. It's so much cheaper than the Dinan upgrade!

grilodan 10-30-2012 01:46 PM

No one?

ultra300x 702 10-30-2012 04:35 PM

Did you verify what TMAP you had i just looked at the website. I have a 2013 X5 35i considering this upgrade do you know of anyone else with the tune or you just trying it out?

grilodan 10-30-2012 04:56 PM

I know someone who has it. Also take a look at the folks with F10s. Same tune.

My TMAP is type B

longbow0404 10-31-2012 11:50 AM

Im almost in the same boat as you, please keep us updated on how it works and the install

by the way: hi everybody Im new to the forum

mlee4984 10-31-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilodan (Post 7163617)
Hey guys, I just ordered Terry's tune for the X5. Anyone here who has installed this? Installation guide only shows F10 and no pictures of the E70 at all. Thanks!

Let us know your results and opinions. I'm on the fence with a flash or a piggy back option...

Thanks
Mike

ultra300x 702 11-01-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee4984 (Post 7169282)
Let us know your results and opinions. I'm on the fence with a flash or a piggy back option...

Thanks
Mike

I am also however with the piggy back option you can sell it when you get rid of the vehicle and also remove it for warranty puposes if something should occur. I like the flash option if i was keeping my X5 but its a 3yr lease and spending 2,000 on a tune and not getting any money back from it seems steep. Your thoughts ?

ard 11-01-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultra300x 702 (Post 7170895)
...also remove it for warranty puposes if something should occur.

do keep in mind that in the event of a major engine or trans failure, BMW can interrogate the DME and can find evidence the engine was operating outside of the normal parameters. Yes, you can clear codes but you cannot clear this history.

Low probablily of such a major failure, but just saying.

Terry @ BMS 11-03-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7171051)
do keep in mind that in the event of a major engine or trans failure, BMW can interrogate the DME and can find evidence the engine was operating outside of the normal parameters. Yes, you can clear codes but you cannot clear this history.

Low probablily of such a major failure, but just saying.

Worry not, our CAN Tool or a BT cable can delete any traces of hidden codes in the unlikely event such codes are thrown.

RE: Install, just follow the directions in the PDF guide. The X5 is the same as the F10 as far as the install goes. It's 4 connectors. Simple stuff here. :)

ard 11-03-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS (Post 7173027)
Worry not, our CAN Tool or a BT cable can delete any traces of hidden codes in the unlikely event such codes are thrown.

Terry- Tell the whole truth...you seem to be addressing my comment with a half-answer: You cannot erase traces of operating parameters that are outside the limits allowed by an unmodified DME.

Correct? Just a straight, honest answer. If you can clear this history, please tell me how.

I am not talking codes and shadow codes, i am specifically talking about operating characteristics that might be stored immediately prior to a major event.

Thanks!

Terry @ BMS 11-03-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7173038)
Terry- Tell the whole truth...you seem to be addressing my comment with a half-answer: You cannot erase traces of operating parameters that are outside the limits allowed by an unmodified DME.

Correct? Just a straight, honest answer. If you can clear this history, please tell me how.

I am not talking codes and shadow codes, i am specifically talking about operating characteristics that might be stored immediately prior to a major event.

Thanks!

In theory DME load, for example, could be stored along with RPM and other DME parameters. But what you might be missing is that with a piggyback these sensor values are reported back in the OEM range. With piggyback tuning the DME always sees the OEM boost values, for example. It's inherent to how piggyback tuning works. So only flash tunes are at risk for detection using that direct sensor out of range method.

To counter that BMW added a series of plausibility codes that indicate you may have a piggyback installed. For example if fuel consumption exceeds a normal range for a given load a code is triggered that indicates the technician should check for an external device. It does not prove you have such a device as higher ethanol content fuel can also trigger the same code, for example. But these are the codes the BT cable can fully whip out.

And for the record we do not endorse warranty fraud. If you break something, you should pay for it. But our Stage1 tuning is fairly mild with only a ~3psi increase over stock. Similar to what BMW offers with their in house aftermarket tuning. It's very reliable.

longbow0404 11-04-2012 07:34 AM

Thanks for the update... Please keep us posted on how it worked for you

Terry @ BMS 11-04-2012 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by longbow0404 (Post 7174821)
Thanks for the update... Please keep us posted on how it worked for you

Looks like OP was unable to get it installed. For some reason he could not reach the #2 sensor shown in this photo. We've done a few X5 installs at the office and its normally a 15-20 minute job from start to finish so I was disappointed to see he wasn't able to work it out.

Anyway, since we don't have any official reviews on this forum, if someone has some minimal technical skills to get it installed and shoot over a few X5 specific photos for our guide, and post a review here, we'll happily offer you a free N55 Stage1 tune. Well qualified customers only, please. :) Just email me @ terry@burgertuning.com and I'll post back when we've found the right person.

Terry @ BMS 11-04-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS (Post 7175883)
Looks like OP was unable to get it installed. For some reason he could not reach the #2 sensor shown in this photo. We've done a few X5 installs at the office and its normally a 15-20 minute job from start to finish so I was disappointed to see he wasn't able to work it out.

Anyway, since we don't have any official reviews on this forum, if someone has some minimal technical skills to get it installed and shoot over a few X5 specific photos for our guide, and post a review here, we'll happily offer you a free N55 Stage1 tune. Well qualified customers only, please. :) Just email me @ terry@burgertuning.com and I'll post back when we've found the right person.

Well that didn't take long! Looks like we have a good candidate who can get you guys some install photos and a review up soon. :)

longbow0404 11-06-2012 04:45 AM

Im too late...... :cry:

I could be the second choice (just in case):p



(2013 BMW X5 sport activity/M sport package):)

ultra300x 702 11-06-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS (Post 7175883)
Looks like OP was unable to get it installed. For some reason he could not reach the #2 sensor shown in this photo. We've done a few X5 installs at the office and its normally a 15-20 minute job from start to finish so I was disappointed to see he wasn't able to work it out.

Anyway, since we don't have any official reviews on this forum, if someone has some minimal technical skills to get it installed and shoot over a few X5 specific photos for our guide, and post a review here, we'll happily offer you a free N55 Stage1 tune. Well qualified customers only, please. :) Just email me @ terry@burgertuning.com and I'll post back when we've found the right person.

I have exstensive technical skills and would be happy to send pictures over with detailed arrows in the pics Along with a detailed review. Please PM if interested

mlee4984 11-06-2012 06:20 PM

I'll volunteer too!

macming 11-07-2012 04:21 PM

I'm the lucky tester that received the piggy back setup! Terry said the typical install should only take 15 - 20 minutes, so I'll pull out the SLR to document the entire process.

I think it's fair to Terry if I provide both a short term and long term review of his product, so please look for my impressions in a few weeks :thumbup:

My M3 won't get anywhere near the performance increase with $400, so I have to say, the turbo BMWs really do offer amazing power potential.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS (Post 7175919)
Well that didn't take long! Looks like we have a good candidate who can get you guys some install photos and a review up soon. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by longbow0404 (Post 7178305)
Im too late...... :cry:

I could be the second choice (just in case):p



(2013 BMW X5 sport activity/M sport package):)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultra300x 702 (Post 7178849)
I have exstensive technical skills and would be happy to send pictures over with detailed arrows in the pics Along with a detailed review. Please PM if interested

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee4984 (Post 7180085)
I'll volunteer too!


longbow0404 11-12-2012 06:53 AM

any updates on this.... Im ready to order one and do it myself (pics and everything) and report back:)

macming 11-12-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longbow0404 (Post 7189795)
any updates on this.... Im ready to order one and do it myself (pics and everything) and report back:)

I'm going to install this on Sunday and will report back :D

longbow0404 11-19-2012 07:46 AM

Did you get it on your X5?:)

how does it runs now?

macming 11-19-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longbow0404 (Post 7202839)
Did you get it on your X5?:)

how does it runs now?

I managed to install the harness and took a lot of install pictures, BUT my check engine light is on right now.

Install pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5378822...in/photostream

Terry has been great with the trouble shooting process, and I'll keep everyone updated on my progress. :thumbup:

ultra300x 702 11-19-2012 09:08 AM

Nice pics but you took so many your making it look alot more complicated then it really is. Im sure terry will edit what he wants on his website for customer installs. Keep us posted on the check engine light. How is the power and torque now is it very noticable or just slightly

macming 11-19-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultra300x 702 (Post 7203008)
Nice pics but you took so many your making it look alot more complicated then it really is. Im sure terry will edit what he wants on his website for customer installs. Keep us posted on the check engine light. How is the power and torque now is it very noticable or just slightly

These are the raw pictures, which I'm sure they make the install look overwhelming. At the end of the day, like you mentioned, only a limited number will be selected.

The install itself was pretty straightforward, and it took longer to disassemble the HVAC area to hide the "parallel port looking" connector out of the elements.

I haven't driven the car at all right now, since it has a check engine light and a rough idle. Terry suspects it could be one of the connectors is not on tight enough. I'll keep everyone posted regarding my troubleshooting progress :thumbup:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms