Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   BMW maintenance schedule (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654758)

Vex500 10-29-2012 04:18 AM

BMW maintenance schedule
 
Hi everyone,

Just wanted opinion on the BMW service and maintenance schedule. I have been told that you should ignore the cars service interval and carryout 12 monthly oil changes regardless. Our x5 drives only 8,000 kms a year so it would be over 2 years between oil services if we go by the cars display......seems like a very long time particularly for a diesel engine. We have also been told that the long life castrol engine oil that BMW specifies is designed for extended service intervals and no other oil should be used. My car is the twin turbo 3.0sd.

Thanks.

CALLAWAY845 10-29-2012 05:11 PM

I sure hope that you don't consider whomever told you this a friend...an oil change once monthly for 12 months??? Change your oil at least once yearly, more based on other factors.

x5x5 10-29-2012 05:49 PM

question...How bout a new X5?....It's always 15K miles but I would hope since it's new they'd have it set to come in sooner, but its showing 15K miles before the first service. What should I do? Thats too long to have all that new metal in the oil, IMO.

boostedX5SAV 10-29-2012 07:58 PM

If it is too long, then go out and pay for an oil change yourself at around 7,500 miles.

x5x5 10-29-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boostedX5SAV (Post 7165121)
If it is too long, then go out and pay for an oil change yourself at around 7,500 miles.

I hear you, but I thought it may void a warranty if I went to a non-bmw dealer or cost me some serious cash if going to a BMW dealer?

ard 10-29-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x5x5 (Post 7165174)
I hear you, but I thought it may void a warranty if I went to a non-bmw dealer or cost me some serious cash if going to a BMW dealer?

Absolutely not. Make sure they use the specified BMW oil (BMW Part NUmber) and they cannot cause any problems whasoever with the warranty.

There is a federal law that specifically protects you against this....

henrycyao 10-29-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x5x5 (Post 7164925)
question...How bout a new X5?....It's always 15K miles but I would hope since it's new they'd have it set to come in sooner, but its showing 15K miles before the first service. What should I do? Thats too long to have all that new metal in the oil, IMO.

Mine shows 11,000 miles before the first tune up. I do not believe it is fixed at 15k miles.

x5x5 10-29-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7165256)
Absolutely not. Make sure they use the specified BMW oil (BMW Part NUmber) and they cannot cause any problems whasoever with the warranty.

There is a federal law that specifically protects you against this....

cool, thanks...I think I'll get it changed well before the 15K then. :thumbup:

x5x5 10-29-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henrycyao (Post 7165279)
Mine shows 11,000 miles before the first tune up. I do not believe it is fixed at 15k miles.

Brand new?

henrycyao 10-29-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x5x5 (Post 7165294)
Brand new?

Yes, I just got it from Jon two weeks ago.

boostedX5SAV 10-30-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x5x5 (Post 7165174)
I hear you, but I thought it may void a warranty if I went to a non-bmw dealer or cost me some serious cash if going to a BMW dealer?

I had mine changed at 7,500 at a BMW dealer for $60. I was searching for a reputable non dealer and they couldn't fit me in for that day so I went to a dealer and they had a special on oil change at the time. I told them not to reset the computer or maintenance interval so I still get to bring the car in at 15,000.

jashearer 10-30-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boostedX5SAV (Post 7165981)
I had mine changed at 7,500 at a BMW dealer for $60. I was searching for a reputable non dealer and they couldn't fit me in for that day so I went to a dealer and they had a special on oil change at the time. I told them not to reset the computer or maintenance interval so I still get to bring the car in at 15,000.

You got lucky, every coupon I've ever seen from BMW for oil changes excludes Ms and Diesels specifically due to the high cost of oil.

I had a prelim done @ 5k as well, and paid ~$100 for it at the dealer, I could have gotten the kit from Tischer for cheaper and did it myself, but for the difference I didn't want to have to worry about fighting a battle in the future if something went wrong.

I don't plan on doing any other mid-interval changes I just wanted to get any initial wear items out of the oil before the first change.

Jay

boostedX5SAV 10-30-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jashearer (Post 7166289)
You got lucky, every coupon I've ever seen from BMW for oil changes excludes Ms and Diesels specifically due to the high cost of oil.

Good thing I don't have the M or the d :thumbup:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms