Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 M5 (2006 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Engine malfunction, reduced power e60 m5 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654764)

Beamerhead 10-29-2012 04:24 AM

Engine malfunction, reduced power e60 m5

Hello Guys, I just recently got my 2008 M5 it has 76k miles

Had it for a couple of months and its been perfect. I was driving all day today and not beating on it either and I don't really beat on it nowhere close to what some other people do. All day was perfect but I decided to take a little cruise from my house and 2 miles away I got on the highway that's when it said ENGINE MALFUNCTION REDUCED POWER....& THE ENGINE LIGHT It was driving very rough, and not all the power was there.. so I stopped on the emergency lane shut it off then turned it back on but nothing changed. So I drove it back home. Once I got on my garage it smelled like gas and like its running very rich. Turned it off for about 15 minutes. Then I turned it back on again to see if its gonna do it again and that's when bunch of smoke started coming from the exhaust, and the warnings were still there. Then I shut it off. And didn't bother anymore. The car is bone stock. I see some people had this problem but seems to go away with then after the shut it off and turned it back on. Mine won't go away.

PLEASE HELP:(

Beamerhead 10-29-2012 01:44 PM

60 views and no replies................

DONROD 10-30-2012 07:24 AM

On my 540 wagon, I had a similar issue and It was gasket on my intake manifold, I am looking at getting a 06 M5 so I hope this doesn't happen to me GOOD LUCK

timwe775 12-23-2012 10:59 PM

reduced power

had similar issue occur 4-5 times as revs increased (without going hard). Sometimes in D mode and sometimes manual. No smoke or any other obvious issue. Turn engine off and on again and all error messages get reset and power was restored.
However, last time the messages have been reset but the orange engine light is still on and power appears to be still reduced.
Anyone else know about this issue (late standard 2007 E60 M5 with 80,000 kms now)

Beamerhead 12-23-2012 11:59 PM

Thank you to the ones that commented and shame on how many viewers and no help or support. Anyways I had no choice but to take the car to BMW dealership and although I told them that I'm in the auto industry business they still tried to rape me on unesecary repairs but since I know how **** works that did NOT fly with me. I was told that my spar plugs were burned ($799) car won't blow smoke if spark plugs go out. So after our argument I told them that since that's what they're best at doing if they guarantee that if I spend $799 on spark plugs that it will fix my problem to go ahead and perform the work and if i spent $799 on something unesecary that I would go there pissed and there would be a problem since I'm not someome that can be ****ed with. They kept telling me that that's all they're seeing and without getting rid of that problem first they wouldn't be axle to know the actual issue. Again I told them that if you actually have a real tech checking into the problem to check it again since I'm by no means paying for unesecary repairs, like a lot of people do and get ripped off by mechanics, and told them to only call me after they found the actual problem...5 hours go by and I did recieve the call that I should of got in the first place without trying to ripp me off on $799 spark plug job that was not needed by any means.

So it ended up being Injector 1 went out and needed to be replaced. Since they realized that there not going to rape me they assured me that it was not the spark plugs and that was the actually problem. I authorized the work and also needed a oil change since some gas got into the motor.
They quoted me $1,800 on the injector replacement. I got other quotes from other dealers and jewed them down (YES YOU CAN NEGOCIATE WITH DEALERSHIP SHOP)

So hers what everything ended up costing me:
Injector 1 replacement $1,299
(((( the injector was only $230 the rest is labor))))
Oil Change $115.00
Out the door with taxes included
-----$1,495.98-----
That's not including the $208 for the tow.
To my luck I heard for the BP bad gas sales in August 13-23 and since all I buy is BP Gas I made a claim went thru the hassle for a month and just got a check for $1,703.98 :-)
CHEERS:)

Stone Roots 01-06-2013 08:11 PM

$1700 for a month of gas?

timwe775 01-07-2013 10:30 PM

Reduced power on E60 M5

:) Thank you for those that commented. Here is the update from the BMW Dealership.
Computer reported misfiring on Cylinder 3 so (and with no suprise now when you look at Stone Roots comments), a new set of spark plugs was fitted to see if this fixed the problem. It didn't. 2 days later no further news - still looking for source of problem.
Be interesting if it ends up being injectors or manifold as others posted. Will let you know what happens.

Beamerhead 01-08-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwe775 (Post 7297596)
:) Thank you for those that commented. Here is the update from the BMW Dealership.
Computer reported misfiring on Cylinder 3 so (and with no suprise now when you look at Stone Roots comments), a new set of spark plugs was fitted to see if this fixed the problem. It didn't. 2 days later no further news - still looking for source of problem.
Be interesting if it ends up being injectors or manifold as others posted. Will let you know what happens.

Mine was misfiring on all the cylinders at least what they said. But I don't trust the dealership at all.
Good Luck

timwe775 01-09-2013 02:54 AM

M5 engine misfire update

Dealer has tried swapping injectors around between cylinders and cylinder 3 error still there, so back to the investigations..

S85FTW 01-16-2013 01:54 PM

What codes popped up? That could help narrow down the problem. You can go to autozone and get them for free. Write them down and report back.

timwe775 01-17-2013 04:47 AM

Diagnosis of misfiring M5 E60

Further to the misfire on Cylinder 3, it looks like the problem has been narrowed down to oil leaking into cylinder 3 (after new spark plugs, etc didn't fix problem). Interestingly, the engine error message (and reduced power) only occurs on cylinder 3, under higher revs/stress in moving from gears 2-3. Not any other gears. Sounds like head may need to come off - will keep you posted.

IEbimmerguy 01-18-2013 09:58 AM

From what I hear, Autozone does NOT read codes anymore. "Too many shops got angry at us" was their response.

S85FTW 01-18-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IEbimmerguy (Post 7322298)
From what I hear, Autozone does NOT read codes anymore. "Too many shops got angry at us" was their response.

Funny because I had it done two days ago at an autozone.

B767capt 01-20-2013 12:16 PM

A lot of people chase the misfire at high rpms. Usually an ionic sensor. You have 2, one for each bank. Swap the senors and see if misfire moves to the other side. If so, thats the problem.

timwe775 01-20-2013 05:07 PM

tks for the advice. have passed on to check it out. Just concerned about fact oil was found in cylinder 3 too.

timwe775 02-06-2013 09:21 PM

E60 M5 engine malfunction update

Well I have a progress update now on oil in cylinder 3. Apparently the sizing of cylinder 3 is larger than BMW spec and other cylinders - faulty manufacturing. So we are in discussion about how best to fix here.

Stay tuned for further updates but in the meantime, BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL ABOUT BUYING ONE OF THESE CARS - THERE MAY BE ISSUES AND CHECK YOUR WARRANTY TERMS VERY CAREFULLY first.

thealla 08-29-2013 12:17 PM

Hi

Try to look for broken coilpack

if you have any, you changed your spark plugs right?

yeah try to look for any broken coilpack

then secondly, pull the codes from someone you know has the scanner

it sounds like Throttle actuator problems.....

I've had it. still has it but parts are on the way :)

Throttle actuators!!

timwe775 08-31-2013 07:16 PM

closure

:thumbdwn:

actually worse than that. replaced plugs and most coils and advised oil leaking into one cyclinder and failing compression tests. new engine block and cylinders is the advised remedy. Good luck to those with the v10 M5, I hope this doesn't happen to you - I have moved on.

SuperTerp 09-27-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwe775 (Post 7809356)
:thumbdwn:

actually worse than that. replaced plugs and most coils and advised oil leaking into one cyclinder and failing compression tests. new engine block and cylinders is the advised remedy. Good luck to those with the v10 M5, I hope this doesn't happen to you - I have moved on.

lol ouch haha just as I'm getting ready to take the plunge on on an s85 smg :eeps:

08M5V10 10-24-2013 05:40 PM

Same issue, "Engine Malfunction Reduced Power" and "increased emissions" warning.... Dont know where to start but the BMW dealership... I have extended warranty, so hopefully it will cover any issues that arise. :(

08M5V10 11-07-2013 05:55 PM

The verdict; coil in cylinder number 9 replaced. And the dealer wanted to charge me $1,500.00 for new spark plugs and one coil!!!

Went to autozone ordered the coil and got it done. $80.00 and 1 hour of my time. After watching DIY, ordered a obdII from ebay $135.00 reset the engine light.
Hopefully that will fix the issue!
Back to enjoying my car!!

Thanks for the help!!!! Very grateful