Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X1 E84 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   aluminum roof rails or standard black on alpine white? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655068)

prosgal73 10-30-2012 01:49 PM

aluminum roof rails or standard black on alpine white?

Went for a test drive today and now i'm seriously considering the Xline sdrive 28i X1. for all those who got the Alpine White which roof rails do you think look better? Aluminum or Black. Any wanted feedback as to whether you think the Lighting package is a must or not. I'm planning on getting the Ultimate package for sure. Appreciate any feedback, thanks!

edx1 10-30-2012 02:24 PM

Post more about what you've driven and what you like and we can probably give better help.

For me I'm a black and white person. White car and black for trim, darker tint, and I try to avoid all chrome except where you want the eyes drawn, which roof rails aren't what I like my eyes going to when I see the car.

As for the Lighting package, it really depends. Xenons (or actually the adaptive lighting) became mandatory for me and pushed me into the 35 because I decided I wanted peformance over leather and gadgets for basically the same price. I didn't opt for the auto-high beams and puddle lighting because I trust myself over a camera and computer and puddle lighting is just waiting to break and be a pain to fix IMO. I also didn't opt for nav or any gadgets, just a base 35 with cold weather and paddles. All guts and little tech.

prosgal73 10-30-2012 02:41 PM

So I drove the X1 Sdrive and planning on Alpine White. did you get the basic one and then add options versus picking the X or Sport line?
The black roof rails stand out more but i feel like with the Xline the aluminum roof rails match the silver at the bottom? Not sure which look is better but yes, black and white is nice!
Looks like the X line comes with the 18" Y-spoke light alloy tires...not sure how I feel about those?

edx1 10-30-2012 03:15 PM

I should add a little more, what others I've read have said. Many people do like auto-high beam and comment it's faster than they could be at times and very accurate in turning high beams on and off when it's right. It does appear to do a good job and lets you focus on driving and not side tracking your brain to reach for a control and adjust it.

It also depends on if you live in a city or remote areas. In the City it won't get used very much at all. if you live in the woods it could be helpful in narrow two lane roads with a few but infrequent cars. You probably won't use auto brights on highways or streets but it does depend on your streets. A car that passes next to you ever minute or so it would be nice, but if cars pass you more often than 30 seconds it probably won't be needed.

The puddle lights I think are a cool feature if you park where it's not lit. But my garage is lit well and the car rarely gets parked in pitch black areas. I haven't had puddle lights on any car and have never had to pull out a flash light or phone light to see the door handles to get in (I use keyless entry and the BMW has that or better depending if you have convenience option. To me, puddle lights are a cool gadget but don't truely offer anything functially helpful for me.

I also wouldn't pass on either of these if money wasn't as much of a concern.

kosmo 10-30-2012 05:50 PM

I tested a white X1 with black roof rails, and thought they messed with the lines of the car, looking a bit like racing stripes. The brushed aluminum ones do a pretty good job of being nearly invisible, once you're 15 feet away.

prosgal73 10-30-2012 06:24 PM

thanks for the detailed info, appreciate it! i'm in los angeles so don't do much mountain driving but my night vision isn't the best so maybe it'll help.

mismaloya 10-31-2012 05:48 AM

Xline get the aluminum satin
Base model stay with black

fixer524 11-07-2012 08:14 AM

First post

So, Hi this being my first ever post I will keep it short so I don't put my size 10's in anything.
I have the Alpine white X1 X drive with Black roof rails, after seeing the ally version I think the Black sets the car off much better.

mismaloya 11-07-2012 06:15 PM

me too...I like the black and white contrast, with the exception of the XLine where I think the aluminum rails match up well with all the other aluminum colored trim. White with black trim is classic in my book.