Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   E46ers and Cyclone Sandy (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655718)

jonathan2263 11-02-2012 07:37 PM

E46ers and Cyclone Sandy

1 Attachment(s)
So I'm just wondering, how did everyone make out? There still isn't a single light on in Far Hills, and probably no hope for at least another week. We had lots of big trees come down. If one had fallen about 6 feet to the left, it would have taken out my roof. Fortunately, a near miss. The roofers were here today replacing the shingles that got blown off, do I'm watertight again. Showering at friends houses because they shut the gas off Thursday.
At least I'm safe. Hope this finds you all well and out of harms way. Maybe when the lights come back on, we should an our second annual New Jersey Fester beer and BMW meet.

HarryR325i 11-02-2012 07:46 PM

Glad you are safe. I was very fortunate not to lose power like so many. I'm in the Bronx near the Whitestone bridge. Hope you get power soon.

Gryphon 11-03-2012 06:21 AM

I'm still about, no power by me in Branchburg. Drove by FastBob's place and his ZHP looks fine, a big pine fell and missed it by about a foot. Burned my last firewood last night so I'm evac'ing to my inlaws in S. Jersey where there's power, I sent my wife and son down there the day after the storm.

charlesberry 11-03-2012 07:55 AM

We got power back on Thursday night. No damage thank god.

SJBimmer 11-03-2012 12:57 PM

I live right near the water about 30 miles south of Atlantic City. It was a scary few days, but luckily we had no damage. I live on the highest piece of ground for miles around, so there was no flooding, although we were briefly an island. When I had my house built about 10 years ago, I had the architect upgrade everything to be hurricane rated and it sure paid off. My ridge beam is a 6x10 paralam and the house didn't make a sound, even in 80 mph winds. Lots of damage around me though. Waiting for all of the debris to thoroughly dry before I go out there with the leaf blower.

jonathan2263 11-03-2012 05:57 PM

They turned the gas back on today so at least I've got hot water again. Baby steps. But I heard some explosions a little while ago. Hope they don't turn it off again.

sea6speed 11-03-2012 06:01 PM

You guys are going to be set with free firewood for years!

tttomttt 11-04-2012 06:32 AM

We lost power from noon monday when a neighbors tree fell on the power lines. Ripped my service off the house. Luckily I am an electrician and I installed it in the first place so the repair was about $20 worth of material and my labor. The next day the LIPA tree cutters came by and removed the tree and that night they restored power. We were very lucky this time. We also have gas hot water and stove so we do not lose our cooktop or hot water and with a 3000w generator we never lost food and essential lighting. Now gas is starting to flow at the gas pumps so life is almost back to normal for many. Some places like Long Beach, Freeport, The Rockaways and especially Staten Island were hit so hard my heart goes out to them. It will be a long time for them to recover. I was at a friends house in Freeport helping him with getting his power restored and everybody was putting their furniture and destroyed possessions out to the curb for garbage pick up. It was very sad.