Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Tire Pressure and other Issues (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655808)

BMWconsumer 11-03-2012 11:44 AM

Tire Pressure and other Issues
 
Guys I bought X5 2013 this year in June.
I have a questions about

Tire pressure
Since its starting to get cold in Louisiana i have noticed few morning i have low tire pressure alert. But after i go through the reset ritual it goes away. Sometime quicker then other times.
Very frustrating. Is this normal?

Also, I would have thought i would get better mileage. My average speed is 22/m/h and my consumption is 15m/g. I am using regular gas to save a buck. Would putting premium make it more efficient? Any ideas?

Lastly but not least,
is it just me or the "bing"noises drive people nuts. For all the alerts from low gas to seat belts to start/stopping the car. Not to mention when you switch off the car the radio still runs!!! why.....:tsk:

Thanks!

ard 11-03-2012 04:15 PM

you mentioned reseting the tire pressure system, but did not mention actual tire PRESSURE values...are the tires losing pressure or not?

Any particular engine you got there?????

Running economy isn't. The savings in cost is virtually offset by the reduced mileage. You do mostly city driving, so that sounds nomral for a V8...wonder what you have.....

ndabunka 11-03-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWconsumer (Post 7173604)
Guys I bought X5 2013 this year in June.
I have a questions about

Tire pressure
Since its starting to get cold in Louisiana i have noticed few morning i have low tire pressure alert. But after i go through the reset ritual it goes away. Sometime quicker then other times.
Very frustrating. Is this normal?

Also, I would have thought i would get better mileage. My average speed is 22/m/h and my consumption is 15m/g. I am using regular gas to save a buck. Would putting premium make it more efficient? Any ideas?

Lastly but not least,
is it just me or the "bing"noises drive people nuts. For all the alerts from low gas to seat belts to start/stopping the car. Not to mention when you switch off the car the radio still runs!!! why.....:tsk:

Thanks!

You MUST be from the Monroe area (think duck Dynasty...LOL) otherwise you would know all this stuff below...
1) Low tire pressure will cause you to loose a mile to 3 miles per gallon so fill up the tires and get it right to save the most fuel.
2) Your average speed is VERY low which indicates a large volume of "STOP & GO" driving which is NEVER good for fuel economy (especially in gasoline-based vehicles. Diesels are better @ that but still hurts consumption levels).
3) NEVER use regular fuel in a car DESIGNED to use premium. It is true that regular will work (apparently) fine but what you are not seeing is that... in order for your car to burn regular without pinging, the car has automatically added more fuel (to compensate) and you aren't saving yourself ANY money by running regular. Here is an informative online article about why you WANT to pay for premium (even if it IS more expensive)...
http://engineguy.wordpress.com/2007/...gh-octane-gas/
4) To get the radio to "turn off" when you get out simply hold the START/STOP button a fraction of a minute longer (until the radio turns off)

PS - I went to college in Monroe so just giving you a hard time.

BenF12400 11-04-2012 07:40 AM

Check your tire pressures; I found that although I picked up by 2013 X5 3.5 at the "factory, the pressures were way off (you do know to check when cold) so I added air to the recommended pressures for front and back tires and did the reset. My higway mpg is 26-27 on premium, drops to 22 mpg if I have a bad day on the capital beltway. Radio will turn off once you open the door to get out of the vehicle.

Ripred 11-04-2012 04:22 PM

You can decrease the loudness of "bing" noise in the car's settings (go to "Settings" menu in iDrive, then "Tone", then "Volume settings" and turn the "Gong" option all the way down) ... And you can easily avoid seatbelt and low fuel "alarms" alltogether if you'll use your seatbelt properly all the time and learn to refuel the car at the appropriate time :p

As for fuel efficiency - other people already gave all necessary advices: check the tire pressure with an accurate tire gauge while the tires are "cold" since underinflated tires will decrease MPG, don't use regular gas (there's no real "savings" in it if the manufacturer designed the engine to use higher grade gasoline), try to choose routes with less "stop-and-go" traffic. And you shouldn't have purchased a V8 model (if this is what you have) if you're really concerned about fuel efficiency, there's a diesel model for this which works much better in slow, "stop-and-go" traffic conditions.

BMWconsumer 11-10-2012 09:13 AM

Thanks
 
Guys thanks for all the advice.

I did something stupid, every time the computer would tell me tire pressure low I would reset it and not physically check the tires thinking if after reset if it still gives me alarm then I would check the pressure physically.

All well, I put more air in tires and reset the computer.
BTW the X5 is 6 month old and average tire pressure was 25 PSI in all four tires. Must not have been checked at the factory.....

I have started putting Premium gas. Lets see what happens.

Thanks

BMWconsumer 11-10-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndabunka (Post 7174351)
You MUST be from the Monroe area (think duck Dynasty...LOL) otherwise you would know all this stuff below...
1) Low tire pressure will cause you to loose a mile to 3 miles per gallon so fill up the tires and get it right to save the most fuel.
2) Your average speed is VERY low which indicates a large volume of "STOP & GO" driving which is NEVER good for fuel economy (especially in gasoline-based vehicles. Diesels are better @ that but still hurts consumption levels).
3) NEVER use regular fuel in a car DESIGNED to use premium. It is true that regular will work (apparently) fine but what you are not seeing is that... in order for your car to burn regular without pinging, the car has automatically added more fuel (to compensate) and you aren't saving yourself ANY money by running regular. Here is an informative online article about why you WANT to pay for premium (even if it IS more expensive)...
http://engineguy.wordpress.com/2007/...gh-octane-gas/
4) To get the radio to "turn off" when you get out simply hold the START/STOP button a fraction of a minute longer (until the radio turns off)

PS - I went to college in Monroe so just giving you a hard time.


:rofl:
Does BMW carry an option for carrying your fishing and hunting gear?

Ripred 11-10-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWconsumer (Post 7187213)
Guys thanks for all the advice.

I did something stupid, every time the computer would tell me tire pressure low I would reset it and not physically check the tires thinking if after reset if it still gives me alarm then I would check the pressure physically.

All well, I put more air in tires and reset the computer.
BTW the X5 is 6 month old and average tire pressure was 25 PSI in all four tires. Must not have been checked at the factory.....

I have started putting Premium gas. Lets see what happens.

Thanks

You should never trust the factory/dealer/tire shop when it comes to tire pressure, always check it yourself ;)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms