Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Steering Rack Replaced at 40K (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655964)

wavewuver 11-04-2012 04:58 AM

Steering Rack Replaced at 40K

I started a thread that was titled "tie rods replaced at 40K". Turned out that the real problem was the steering rack. BMW first replaced the tie rod, but that didn't fix it. Then they replaced the lower steering shaft and that wasn't it. Lastly, they found the problem.......the steering rack.

I noticed the problem when the car was turned off. When I turned the steering wheel left & right, I could easily hear a loud clunking sound from the front end......way down low.

I hope my problem was a fluke and not an indicator of a chronic issue.

lbjgh 11-04-2012 05:19 AM

I've read about others who have had the steering racks replaced in their X3's so unfortunately the fault may not be isolated. :(

jman103099 11-05-2012 06:05 AM

I responded in your other thread... again, this might not solve your problem as others have had this done and the noise comes back.
I bought my car with roughly 4,000 miles on it and this same noise was there. Dealer said to keep an eye on it, but nothing appeared wrong. Next time I go in I'll have them look at the rack, but I hate to replace it if the noise is just going to come back. :mad:

wavewuver 11-05-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman103099 (Post 7176369)
I responded in your other thread... again, this might not solve your problem as others have had this done and the noise comes back.
I bought my car with roughly 4,000 miles on it and this same noise was there. Dealer said to keep an eye on it, but nothing appeared wrong. Next time I go in I'll have them look at the rack, but I hate to replace it if the noise is just going to come back. :mad:

I will have BMW replace the rack every week if I have to. There is apparently something wrong with the design or production of the rack. Unless owners press BMW to keep replacing the defect, they won't do anything. BTW.......I noticed excessive tire wear the last few months and BMW initially attributed that to the bad tie rod and that turned into the rack replacement. So keep a close watch on your front tires. Mine were wearing noticeably on the outside edge.

lbjgh 11-05-2012 10:23 AM

I get a very slight bumping sensation as I cross the concrete curb depression when I back out of my driveway (with the steering wheel turned to the left). Donno if it's related.

jman103099 11-06-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbjgh (Post 7176877)
I get a very slight bumping sensation as I cross the concrete curb depression when I back out of my driveway (with the steering wheel turned to the left). Donno if it's related.

That's it. Try turning your wheel when the car is off and see if you get the same noise/sensation.

Want the Thrill 11-06-2012 12:46 PM

I just tried turning my wheel when the car is off and in park and it makes the clunking sound. I've only heard it while out driving a couple of times. Would love to know how many other people hear this noise if they were to try it with the car off. If the car is on and in drive and you turn the wheel back and forth, there is no noise at all. Would they know if the steering rack needs replaced just by looking at it? Hate to take it in and have it replaced if it doesn't need to be.

vptrails 12-29-2012 05:42 PM

Has anyone else experienced a knocking noise from the front of their x3? Mine is a 2011 and its been making this noise lately, particularly when the wheel is turned to the right and I drive over a bump. It even happens in reverse well. One time it happened while I was driving at a fair speed with the steering wheel straight but go over a couple of bumps.

Also, assuming it is the steering rack, does anyone believe this would be a safety issue or is the noise harmless in nature despite being a bit annoying.

glennk 12-29-2012 08:24 PM

Could it be something within the CV joint?

vptrails 12-30-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glennk (Post 7278540)
Could it be something within the CV joint?

Not sure. It's a possibility. I does sound like a steering component though based on the closeness of the knock to the steering column itself. It sounds like its right behind the dash and that something has a little too much play in it.

noka 12-30-2012 10:08 AM

Maybe unrelated but there was a steering recall in 2011 (50 vehicles):
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/110709955