Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Acclerator Pedal smoothness (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655976)

GoHawks63 11-04-2012 06:09 AM

Acclerator Pedal smoothness
 
We've had our 2011 CPO X5 Premium for about two months now. Generally I'm pretty impressed with the car. This is our first X5, actually it's our first BMW ever.

Most of the things that we are adjusting to are just design differences like putting the power door lock button on the center of the dash as opposed to on the door like God intended. :p

I am impressed with the performance and ride. I forget I'm driving an SUV.

One thing though on the driveability that has annoyed my wife and me. The accelerator "tip-in" which is probably associated with the spring in the pedal. We noticed it on the test drive and we figured we would eventually get used to how we would put our foot on the accelerator and start off smoothly. After two months it still feels like we have to pay too much attention when pulling away from a light to prevent everyone from feeling like we're doing jack rabbit starts.

Is this a BMW thing? An X5 thing? or is there maybe something up with our vehicle.

We have owned many cars over the years. Actually between my wife and I, about 15 over the last 24 years so it's not like I haven't driven my share of cars.

Gustavoerod 11-04-2012 06:55 AM

Mine does that sometimes and is a 5series with an SMG transmission, I thought it was because of the transmission Since I've never felt it on any of my previous. By the way welcome to the Beemer family, it sounds like you're having fun with it regardless :)

GoHawks63 11-04-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustavoerod (Post 7174772)
Mine does that sometimes and is a 5series with an SMG transmission, I thought it was because of the transmission Since I've never felt it on any of my previous. By the way welcome to the Beemer family, it sounds like you're having fun with it regardless :)

Thank you!

x5x5 11-04-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustavoerod (Post 7174772)
Mine does that sometimes and is a 5series with an SMG transmission, I thought it was because of the transmission Since I've never felt it on any of my previous. By the way welcome to the Beemer family, it sounds like you're having fun with it regardless :)

x2...Same here....you'll just have to adjust to it.

Ripred 11-04-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoHawks63 (Post 7174714)
We've had our 2011 CPO X5 Premium for about two months now. Generally I'm pretty impressed with the car. This is our first X5, actually it's our first BMW ever.

Most of the things that we are adjusting to are just design differences like putting the power door lock button on the center of the dash as opposed to on the door like God intended. :p

I am impressed with the performance and ride. I forget I'm driving an SUV.

One thing though on the driveability that has annoyed my wife and me. The accelerator "tip-in" which is probably associated with the spring in the pedal. We noticed it on the test drive and we figured we would eventually get used to how we would put our foot on the accelerator and start off smoothly. After two months it still feels like we have to pay too much attention when pulling away from a light to prevent everyone from feeling like we're doing jack rabbit starts.

Is this a BMW thing? An X5 thing? or is there maybe something up with our vehicle.

We have owned many cars over the years. Actually between my wife and I, about 15 over the last 24 years so it's not like I haven't driven my share of cars.

The non-linear throttle response does occur on many BMW models... I believe it is due to programming of this feature in car's ECU, since similar things have been fixed on other models (such as new 5-series) with a software updates. If it bothers you much - maybe try complaining to a dealer, ask him to check if the car's ECU software is the latest version, it may need an update which may (or may not) change the throttle response...

x5x5 11-04-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripred (Post 7175644)
The non-linear throttle response does occur on many BMW models... I believe it is due to programming of this feature in car's ECU, since similar things have been fixed on other models (such as new 5-series) with a software updates. If it bothers you much - maybe try complaining to a dealer, ask him to check if the car's ECU software is the latest version, it may need an update which may (or may not) change the throttle response...

it's night and day difference on the sedans vs the X5 in my experience.

GoHawks63 11-04-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripred (Post 7175644)
The non-linear throttle response does occur on many BMW models... I believe it is due to programming of this feature in car's ECU, since similar things have been fixed on other models (such as new 5-series) with a software updates. If it bothers you much - maybe try complaining to a dealer, ask him to check if the car's ECU software is the latest version, it may need an update which may (or may not) change the throttle response...

Good to know. Appreciate the response.

chiefneil 11-05-2012 09:16 PM

I think the current X5 is pretty good in that regard, especially compared with the first-gen throttle drive by wire models. I had two of those, an E46 330i and an E53 X5 3.0i. Throttle tip-in was really touchy on those, almost as if the sensor would go sleep and take a second to wake up, and god help you if you weren't easing gently into the throttle while waiting for it to wake up.

Anyway, the X5 starts off in 2nd gear in normal mode, so I find the current throttle tip-in to be pretty gentle. Or maybe I'm just used to being really measured with that first 1/2" of throttle travel now.

soldmystang 11-12-2012 12:47 PM

Which motor do you have? I found with my 4.8 that a more aggressive and deliberate application this went away.

Kar Don 11-12-2012 01:03 PM

Many threads on this. X5 with turbo 6 and 8 spd trans has hesitation upon initial acceleration. Trade it in for a diesel if you want immediate response

GoHawks63 11-12-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldmystang (Post 7190569)
Which motor do you have? I found with my 4.8 that a more aggressive and deliberate application this went away.

Turbo 3.0


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms