Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1982 - 1993) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   HVAC blower motor not working (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655994)

Krumchev2 11-04-2012 07:27 AM

HVAC blower motor not working

First off I'd like to say hello to everyone again because I haven't been on here in awhile, so Hello everyone. But like the title says the blower motor stopped working (at any speed). If i take out the resistor and put it back in it will work again, but after driving it and then letting it sit for more than a half hour it won't work again. Any ideas?

anstead610 11-04-2012 06:10 PM

I thought you got rid of your e30! Although, I have no idea what's wrong :-P

fcsteve 11-04-2012 06:38 PM

are the connections on the bottom of the resistor corroded at all ?

havn't you replaced that resistor twice now ?

Krumchev2 11-06-2012 12:10 PM

yeah i've replaced the resistor twice now but the one I have in now seems to be fine, but even if the resistor was bad wouldn't it still work on 4?

First time 11-09-2012 03:40 PM

Unless the actual fan rotary switch is not operational?

Or a possible fuse break?

Krumchev2 11-10-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by First time (Post 7186218)
Unless the actual fan rotary switch is not operational?

Or a possible fuse break?

I'm pretty knowledgable about cars and the fuse was the first thing I checked. And I also jumped the switch and still nothing

_Ethrty-Andy_ 11-11-2012 02:02 AM

possibly worn out wiring, its not uncommon, its exposed to moisture from your windscreen and potentially heater core if its starting to get perished, combined with fresh air and heat = corrosion.

the switch runs via a relay, it could be this that is dead. on a RHD car you will need to drop the drivers kick panel and you will see the relay there, on a LHD it may be you need to drop the glovebox, or maybe they relocate it to your drivers side, not sure of course as we dont have LHD here.

Krumchev2 11-28-2012 08:26 PM

So I tried taking the blower motor out yesterday and cleaning it out thinking it might have been just dirt inside the motor. But when I put it back in, it worked on all 4 setting for the first time it ran, but once I turned it off to go into sears to replace a socket wrench I broke (only in there for like 10 minutes) it didn't turn back on again. I just don't get how it could work for alittle bit everytime I disconnect it but then stop working after I shut the car off

hornhospital 11-28-2012 08:35 PM

Brushes are worn out. Getting intermittent in their connections.

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer App

Krumchev2 11-28-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hornhospital (Post 7220324)
Brushes are worn out. Getting intermittent in their connections.

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer App

So you're saying its the brushes inside the motor itself not always making contact?

Krumchev2 11-30-2012 11:54 AM

So do I need a whole new blower motor?

hornhospital 11-30-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krumchev2 (Post 7220329)
So you're saying its the brushes inside the motor itself not always making contact?

Correct. They are probably worn down to nubbins and the springs can no longer push them solidly against the commutator.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krumchev2 (Post 7223547)
So do I need a whole new blower motor?

Not necessarily. You may be able to replace just the brushes, or have an electric motor shop do it for you. They could determine if it's viable to rebuild the motor for a lot less than the cost of a motor. If it's shot, you're only out a few bucks. If it's salvageable, the repair should be MUCH less than a new motor.

You can DIY some of them if you can find brushes that fit. I've replaced blower brushes in GMs before, using alternator brushes, but I have yet to do a BMW blower.

Newman271 12-01-2012 11:02 AM

From talking with J&N Auto Electric here in Cincinnati, these motors are not rebuildable. I went to my local U-Pull and Pay and found one for 6 bucks and put it in one and half years ago, it squeeks a little sometimes but works really well.