Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   I need M3 Purchase advice ASAP. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656047)

raymak 11-04-2012 01:50 PM

I need M3 Purchase advice ASAP.

About to sign papers on a used 2008 BMW M3 Sedan (Manual- Not SMG) for 26500 plus taxes. Total comes out to 28,800. This M3 has over 100,000 miles, is fully loaded, and has had 1 owner. I think it may eventually need new pads and tires sometime soon, but this seems like a deal I shouldn't pass up.

This is my daily driver, although I probably only drive around 7 or 8 thousand a year. Can you tell me:

1) Am I making a mistake buying an M3 with over 100k expecting to keep it a long time?
2) How many miles can I expect to the TANK?
3) How expensive are rotors and brake pads and where is the cheapest place for reputable brake parts?

Thanks in Advance.

-raymak

650 Ryder 11-04-2012 02:06 PM

I hope you've done some major homework on this car. The miles are high and maintenance cost will be high. Find a good warranty or indy shop to perform your maintenance. If gas mileage is a factor you need to shop another car. You can expect around 250 from a tank. The brakes are something you can shop around for. Good luck on your decision................Phil

raymak 11-04-2012 02:20 PM

Thanks

Thanks Phil. Gas mileage isnt really a problem for me. I just want to ensure that this M3 V8 Engine is just as reliable and can go just as long (life-wise) as other 3 series engines that are not as high of performance. Its a stick without SMG, so I think I scored there on all those SMG hydraulic issues and pump problems that MAY arise.

Can you see a V8 M3 being a 200,000 Mile car with frequent tuneups. Has this V8 Engine proven to be reliable. Whats the highest mileage M3 you have heard of thats had a V8.

I've owned 3 series all my life and I really dont think its that big of a deal. I feel like people over exaggerate the cost of an M3. I do know they are more expensive but they make it out to seem like they arent as reliable. Thats where my questions are really geared towards.

650 Ryder 11-04-2012 06:08 PM

The S65 engine is very solid so that want be your issue. The electronic gremlins are what you'll need to be concerned about. As far as maintenance cost go, the M3 is not a normal 3 series so don't expect to pay 3 series prices on parts. Very few parts are interchangeable with it's siblings.......at least the parts that might cause you pain. There's a guy on here from the Houston area that has over 100k on his car. Hopefully he'll chime in for you soon. If I find his post I'll edit this and link it in for you.................Phil

Read this-------------> http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=100k

MMME30W 11-04-2012 07:28 PM

Wow have not heard of an E9x with 100k. Nice price though.

raymak 11-04-2012 09:37 PM

yeahhh.....

yeah, I think Im gonna miss the 340 miles I can get on my 330i, but I think it would be worth trading for to have a little M-power.

raymak 11-04-2012 09:46 PM

Phil! you are awesome man. I truly appreciate you pulling that out. Where abouts do you and your M3 reside in this country? I'm in So Cal.

650 Ryder 11-05-2012 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raymak (Post 7175994)
Phil! you are awesome man. I truly appreciate you pulling that out. Where abouts do you and your M3 reside in this country? I'm in So Cal.

I lived in "Diego" for many years......I'm now in the Houston area. Checkout the Houston M Club dot com and on Facebook................Phil

Dave 330i 11-05-2012 06:26 AM

I think you are better off by rebadging a low mile 335i for around $25K.

medoverstone 11-05-2012 01:21 PM

I would be scared of 100,000 + on a car.

SKEC 11-06-2012 10:56 AM

I wouldn't buy a 100k+ 2008 m3 for 28k.

With that money I will buy a nicely equipped LCI 09' 335i with low mileage :) that u can really keep for a long time and good as a daily driving car

rdollie 11-06-2012 01:19 PM

100k miles with proper maintenance isn't a lot of miles on ANY modern car these days. As others have said though, maintenance and especially surprise repairs will be more expensive on the M3. If you're in need of tires and pads you can count on adding $2k to your price already (and if you need rotors add another $1k or more to that number.)

Also, at about 16.6 gallons (from memory) I believe the M3's gas tank is smaller than other 3 series cars so miles per tank isn't quite apples to apples but you can count on lower MPG and higher S(miles)PG!

If you're still interested in this car I'd get the full maintenance history from a BMW dealer AND have it thoroughly checked by an independent BMW shop first.

medoverstone 11-06-2012 01:23 PM

I think 100,000 on any car is a lot of miles and with the cost of proper maintenance and the surprise repairs, I have always found it to be cheaper to get a new one and avoid the "surprise" A surprise can cost a ton of dough versus buying a guarantee. I prefer the assurance of a no surprise deal.

I would also like I mentioned never buy someone else's 100,000 + mile car. You just don't know what is hiding in there.

MMME30W 11-06-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdollie (Post 7179334)

Also, at about 16.6 gallons (from memory) I believe the M3's gas tank is smaller than other 3 series cars so miles per tank isn't quite apples to apples but you can count on lower MPG and higher S(miles)PG!

Well curiously, for MY 2009 the BMW USA owner's manual PDF lists the capacity of a 328i coupe as 16.1 gallons, including reserve of 2.1 gallons, and an E92 M3 as 16.6 gallons, including reserve of 3.3 gallons.

I was kind of surprised, but at least for these two examples the M3 has a LARGER tank.

I would have said they were the same size before I looked.

rdollie 11-07-2012 08:52 AM

I'm much the same way. I've bought 8 premium Euro cars in the past 18 years and usually dumped them just before factory warranty expired (kept one up to 70,000 with extended warranty.) That said, modern cars of all makes are a LOT more reliable than before. There's simply MUCH more engineering that goes into cars and the power trains in particular are made to last hundreds of thousands of miles IF properly maintained.

The case of luxury cars there's a LOT more opportunity for expensive complications with cutting edge technology. This is where I feel uncomfortable carrying the risk of having to pay for a dodgy stability control, torque shifting AWD, integrated infotainment system, laser guided cruise control, etc.. However, if a bargain of a used car were to come along I'd obviously look at the discount in price and compare to prospective unplanned repairs and figure out how to proceed. I wouldn't let miles alone dictate my decision. In this particular case I'd generally be a LOT less concerned with 100k miles on a 4-year old car than 100k miles on a 8-year old car. My assumption in this case is that the majority of the miles are from highway useage but I'd back my assumption with copies of the service history and an independent mechanic's examination.

Quote:

Originally Posted by medoverstone (Post 7179346)
I think 100,000 on any car is a lot of miles and with the cost of proper maintenance and the surprise repairs, I have always found it to be cheaper to get a new one and avoid the "surprise" A surprise can cost a ton of dough versus buying a guarantee. I prefer the assurance of a no surprise deal.

I would also like I mentioned never buy someone else's 100,000 + mile car. You just don't know what is hiding in there.

smashhell 11-12-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdollie (Post 7181113)
I'm much the same way. I've bought 8 premium Euro cars in the past 18 years and usually dumped them just before factory warranty expired (kept one up to 70,000 with extended warranty.) That said, modern cars of all makes are a LOT more reliable than before. There's simply MUCH more engineering that goes into cars and the power trains in particular are made to last hundreds of thousands of miles IF properly maintained.

The case of luxury cars there's a LOT more opportunity for expensive complications with cutting edge technology. This is where I feel uncomfortable carrying the risk of having to pay for a dodgy stability control, torque shifting AWD, integrated infotainment system, laser guided cruise control, etc.. However, if a bargain of a used car were to come along I'd obviously look at the discount in price and compare to prospective unplanned repairs and figure out how to proceed. I wouldn't let miles alone dictate my decision. In this particular case I'd generally be a LOT less concerned with 100k miles on a 4-year old car than 100k miles on a 8-year old car. My assumption in this case is that the majority of the miles are from highway useage but I'd back my assumption with copies of the service history and an independent mechanic's examination.

Agreed.

The years of a car is just as important as the mileage.

Kalil147 11-20-2012 09:05 AM

Hi everyone! I am on the same boat here. I am looking forward to buying an m3 in january. What problems do these cars have in the long run? Only reason why I ask is because I own a 05 545I sport package and it was an amazing car in the first few years, but lately has been a nightmare. Is there any differences between 08 and 2011 M3s? How much should I be paying for a used m3 with less than 40k miles? My budget is 45k