Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   broken springs - upgrades? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656209)

1972ford 11-05-2012 06:52 AM

broken springs - upgrades?

So I found BOTH rear springs broken in my wagon, and I know they were new when I got the car 3 years ago. Considering I do put a good amount of weight in the car, and also drive it hard over bumpy roads all the time, I would really like to put heavier springs in there. The problem is, it's a sport package AWD wagon.

I called bavauto and they only had one set of springs that they said would work for my setup, @ $148 each. For that kind of money or maybe a little more I would love to upgrade to something a little more durable.

I know it's a shot in the dark but does anyone have suggestions or better yet experience with upgraded springs for a sport suspension-equipped wagon? Or are the rear springs even different from sport to regular? Or maybe the sport springs ARE heavier and someone put in regular springs, thus they broke? Or maybe I should not drive like a nut with a car full of skis all winter?

FFEJ I'm looking at you... your wagon driving makes me look like a granny.

TannerT 11-05-2012 07:54 AM

Have you checked pelican yet? Also I believe I read a thread at E46F talking about the differences in springs in all E46 models. Google E46 spring color codes.

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App

1972ford 11-05-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TannerT (Post 7176440)
Have you checked pelican yet? Also I believe I read a thread at E46F talking about the differences in springs in all E46 models. Google E46 spring color codes.

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App

Will check out the e46F thread... pelican's springs that match my car all say "not for cars with sport suspension..."

floydarogers 11-05-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972ford (Post 7176353)
So I found BOTH rear springs broken in my wagon, and I know they were new when I got the car 3 years ago. Considering I do put a good amount of weight in the car, and also drive it hard over bumpy roads all the time, I would really like to put heavier springs in there. The problem is, it's a sport package AWD wagon.
I know it's a shot in the dark but does anyone have suggestions or better yet experience with upgraded springs for a sport suspension-equipped wagon? Or are the rear springs even different from sport to regular? Or maybe the sport springs ARE heavier and someone put in regular springs, thus they broke? Or maybe I should not drive like a nut with a car full of skis all winter? .

Don't know about the wagon, but since you have AWD you don't actually have sport springs: you have AWD springs, which are taller than the regular ones. The AWD springs (I'm speaking about sedan) ALWAYS break. Both mine in my 330xi broke before 100K miles; I wouldn't be surprised if the wagon ones are in the same boat. The extra height but same size metal just is too stressed.

I suggest you check the threads for solutions for sedans; I believe that there are a couple.

1972ford 11-05-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydarogers (Post 7176751)
Don't know about the wagon, but since you have AWD you don't actually have sport springs: you have AWD springs, which are taller than the regular ones. The AWD springs (I'm speaking about sedan) ALWAYS break. Both mine in my 330xi broke before 100K miles; I wouldn't be surprised if the wagon ones are in the same boat. The extra height but same size metal just is too stressed.

I suggest you check the threads for solutions for sedans; I believe that there are a couple.

Interesting, so "sport package" with AWD just means different steering wheel and seats? Or would the shocks be different, just not the springs?

I still don't know if wagons use the same overall height and spring rate as sedans for the rear, since there's more weight. Realoem doesn't show part numbers for springs due to so many differences.

The thread on E46F led me to a nice PDF of aftermarket option & specs, but it looks like every option involves lowering, which means 1. replacing all 4 and 2. lowering my snow car (no thanks). AND I can't tell if an aftermarket sedan spring would be appropriate for the wagon. Am I totally overthinking this?

floydarogers 11-05-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972ford (Post 7176949)
Interesting, so "sport package" with AWD just means different steering wheel and seats? Or would the shocks be different, just not the springs?
Am I totally overthinking this?

Yeah, the AWD gets you taller, stiffer (so that roll is still controlled) springs, and different shocks - you should replace the shocks if you lower it because the valving is different, too. No AWD bmw has a sport suspension (well, not quite true but close enough.)

And you may be over-thinking this. I think that if you look around, you can find OEM springs around $95 or so. Lot cheaper to just replace them when they break than change the whole works.

jonathan2263 11-05-2012 05:39 PM

Sedans and tourings have the same suspension parts, so an i sedan = an i touring and an Xi sedan = an Xi touring. Same is true whether its sport suspension or not. And yes, an Xi does not have sport springs.

1972ford 11-05-2012 09:05 PM

I did read about spring color codes but didn't find conclusive info on my original question because there are so few sport package xi wagons... However I now know that sedan and wagon springs aren't different, and that my xi doesn't have sport springs. So l may end up with stock or equivalent if I want to maintain original ride height. I still think a heavy duty option would be preferable and may call my nearby specialty shop and ask them for suggestions. I'd like not to buy two more springs next year.

1972ford 11-06-2012 09:15 AM

In talking to a BMW tech I know this morning, he said that while they might share a lot of other suspension parts, sedans and wagons would have different rear springs, and that (as I've found) the part number application is very specific to your vehicle layout and options, which is why you generally need your VIN to order springs (OEM anyway). He also said that going heavier would just make for a harsher ride with no likely benefit of longevity. When his shop has to replace broken springs, they use OEM and never have them come back broken (at least not in as short a time as mine broke). I'm curious if I can get a part # off the springs that are in my car now, I bet they're not the right ones, because they were new in August '09. Or I need to dial back the driving style a bit, but that's no fun.

End result: the part number I got is consistent with the part number I got from Bavauto, so I'll be replacing with OEM and hopefully this set of springs will last a little longer.