Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Detail Department (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   NEed Help: Sponge ate some paint (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656263)

silky_Fresh 11-05-2012 11:32 AM

NEed Help: Sponge ate some paint

3 Attachment(s)
Hey whats up fella's.

I read a few of the 'scratches' posts however I did not find anything exactly the same.

I recently (like an idiot) used a sponge on my car which is a kitchen scrubbing sponge with a scotch brite abrasive side on it. I had a few dried up bugs that were hard to remove and so i took this sponge to my paints grave... Luckily I noticed it happening fairly quickly and only have about 3 minor spots to fix..

The scratches are not very deep, however definitely are noticeable when you get close.

What is the best way to fix my paint without going to the detailer? Are there any products that you guys would recommend/where to get them?

Has anyone else done this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

soooo mad that this happened!! :cry:

csmeance 11-05-2012 02:12 PM

that is some deep marring on the paint. You should be able to polish out most of it but your going to have to take it to a professional who knows what he's doing.

Keep the sponge in the kitchen and use a sheepskin mitt to clean the car. If you have stuck on bugs, take a fleece blanket that you don't mind messing up, soak it in a solution of carwash soap (the stuff you normally use) and drape it over the front 1 hr before you start washing. The bugs will rehydrate and be easier to remove.

silky_Fresh 11-05-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csmeance (Post 7177187)
that is some deep marring on the paint. You should be able to polish out most of it but your going to have to take it to a professional who knows what he's doing.

Keep the sponge in the kitchen and use a sheepskin mitt to clean the car. If you have stuck on bugs, take a fleece blanket that you don't mind messing up, soak it in a solution of carwash soap (the stuff you normally use) and drape it over the front 1 hr before you start washing. The bugs will rehydrate and be easier to remove.

Thanks for the reply/advice,

I took the car into the BMW dealership today and they said they could get most of the scratches out on the metal but the one on the sideskirt might be tough b/c it's plastic.

The detailer advised me to get a full exterior detail done for $129, which is unfortunate but getting it done right and going to the professional I think will be my best bet.

Defintely the last time I make that mistake, but I will definetely use that fleece blanket idea in the future!

thanks again.

TOGWT 11-06-2012 03:18 AM

A full exterior detail (polish) $129...no really?

dboy11 11-06-2012 08:27 AM

A good polishing should take that out, it looks much worse than it is, trust me I've seen this before. At this point I would look for a good detailers to do this. But you could do it yourself. If that's the case then some elbow grease with a decent polish will take care of it.

That said for bug removal there are many products on the market that can accomplish this. The one that I use on my details is Poorboys World Bug Squash

silky_Fresh 11-07-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGWT (Post 7178230)
A full exterior detail (polish) $129...no really?

It was a wax and polish + he got rid of all the scratches and mars.. he did a great job, car looks brand new so money well spent in my book.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dboy11 (Post 7178602)
A good polishing should take that out, it looks much worse than it is, trust me I've seen this before. At this point I would look for a good detailers to do this. But you could do it yourself. If that's the case then some elbow grease with a decent polish will take care of it.

That said for bug removal there are many products on the market that can accomplish this. The one that I use on my details is Poorboys World Bug Squash

Yeah I thought others would have heard this problem, I knew I wasn't the first to make that mistake unfortunately.

I'll look into the Poorboys product as well, huge pet peeve of mine are those bugs I can't get off my car.

Thanks for the advice sir

gmblack3 11-07-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silky_Fresh (Post 7182543)
It was a wax and polish + he got rid of all the scratches and mars.. he did a great job, car looks brand new so money well spent in my book.

Yeah I thought others would have heard this problem, I knew I wasn't the first to make that mistake unfortunately.

I'll look into the Poorboys product as well, huge pet peeve of mine are those bugs I can't get off my car.

Thanks for the advice sir

See if anything comes back in a few weeks, for that price is sounds like you got glazed.