Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E24 (1976 - 1989) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   What to look for when buying E24--M635Csi? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656374)

Jon. 11-05-2012 08:13 PM

What to look for when buying E24--M635Csi?

Hi, first post here! :hi:

I'm a big VW guy, but love all euros. My friend knows a guy who is selling an E24 and I have a chance to pick it up, but as I'm pretty clueless to the BMW scenes and specific issues, what would you suggest I look for when I check out the car?

From what I've been told, the car is a 1986 M635CSI in all original excellent condition (no modifications), 60k original miles. He mentioned there was something possibly wrong with the electrical and that the dash cluster fails at times. The owner has multiple cars in his collection and is willing to let this one go.

So what should I look for/common issues? How much is a car in this condition worth?

I'm intrigued by the condition (if it truly is what like I've been told) and the looks of this car, I would love to own a classic bimmer and have heard great things about E24s.

pockomoth 12-29-2012 05:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Jon, the Ms are different from the standard e24s. I have an '85 635, and got kind of screwed by the previous owner. If I had to do it over again, I would have a pre purchase inspection done. If I had done this, the mechanic would have seen that some things were held on with inappropriate fasteners, that the coolant used was anti gunk and affected both the heater and a/c (even though both worked), as I had to rework and recharge both, and could have picked up other shortcuts that my untrained eye couldn't. If you're a DIY guy you won't need it, then mostly look for electrical issues, they are the most common faults. And remember that interior bits are not available new, so if the seats are tattered or the speaker pods behind the rear seats are worn out they will be almost impossible to replace. I'm not sure if the tires on Ms are the metrics like on the 635s, but if they are, you cannot replace the tires so a new set of wheels that fit current modern size tires are in your future.

In short, mechanical things don't seem to be an issue, but electrical, interior and tires are.

Welcome to the world of Sharks!

hornhospital 12-29-2012 06:27 PM

Incorrect about the availability of Metric tires. Coker Tire took over production of the Michelin TRX radials in all sizes....but they are incredibly expensive (over $600 EACH for the 225-55-390) and at least 30 years behind in tire technology. Although you can find them it's smarter and cheaper to buy wheels and normal inch-sized tires to fit. If you want a concours car you'd go with the originals.

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer App

pockomoth 12-29-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hornhospital (Post 7278321)
Incorrect about the availability of Metric tires. Coker Tire took over production of the Michelin TRX radials in all sizes....but they are incredibly expensive (over $600 EACH for the 225-55-390) and at least 30 years behind in tire technology. Although you can find them it's smarter and cheaper to buy wheels and normal inch-sized tires to fit. If you want a concours car you'd go with the originals.

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer App

Yeah, I knew this, just thought I'd keep it simple. My essential point is that tires are an issue if the rims are OEM.

ian@jewelorjalopy 01-22-2013 11:22 PM

Definitely find someone local who knows the M cars to look at it.

DY Miller 01-23-2013 04:07 PM

Maintenance records are extremely valuable. This car was a classic from day one. You should be able to judge the car based upon its owner.
Confirm the mileage, locate and communicate with the mechanic if possible.
Good luck helps.