Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Tranny searching when cold (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656493)

cmpcpro 11-06-2012 10:43 AM

Tranny searching when cold

Hey guys, I have an 03 745i with 129k.. it shifts fine and I tried doing the pedal thing for 30sec, not sure if it helped, I think it did, but could be in my head.. anyway I just got the car and the PO said the tranny pan and fluid was done 6mo ago.. anyway, I just noticed a week after I bought the car that after I start it up for the first time cold in the morning and take it out of garage and drive down the street while the car is warming up it will shift fine but because I am just cruising and feathering the pedal when it shifts up into the higher gears it starts searching and the RPM's bounce up and down just a few hundred RPM's.. I am pretty sure it's the tranny shifting because I "think" I can feel it.. and when it warms up it's gone.. Any ideas? I do notice the car goes from about 90% smooth normally to maybe 80% when it's cold, a very slight difference, but I've seen many cars do that when cold.. I don't see how that could be related.. anyway, thanks for help!

bkc0508 11-08-2012 10:48 AM

Check the fluid.

cmpcpro 11-09-2012 11:22 AM

Actually I think I was wrong.. I started my car lastnight and put something in the trunk.. I got a strong fuel smell and it sounded like it was misfiring a little at the pipe.. anyway, this morning jump to this issue like every morning and I think I was wrong. It's not the tranny it's the engine surging a couple hundred RPMs when it's down in the 12-1500's.. when it warms up it's gone.. I am in the process of changing the plugs, I bought the Iridiums just need time to put them in.. will hopefully take care of it.

B7M4W5 11-09-2012 11:46 AM

Make sure to inspect your ignition coils, when you do your spark plug for craks and rust or burns stuff like that.

cmpcpro 11-12-2012 08:10 PM

I did the plugs, which were toast.. but the coils looked really good and they all had a date of 04/06/07 on them so I think they were changed. The car runs alot smoother now (I replaced the 4 points with Iridiums).. but I still have this issue.. the engine is def. having RPM's jump when cold.. any other ideas? Thanks!

stuartjohn24 11-13-2012 03:36 PM

Are you able to pull any codes from the DME? sounds like a MAF or 02 sensor issue if its running rich. Best to see if you have any codes first before buying parts.

Stuart

cmpcpro 11-13-2012 04:42 PM

Hey Stuart, me and Paper checked codes cleared and rechecked.. no DME codes besides failing ebox fan which I replaced since.. should I try cleaning MAF? or go on 02 sensor replace spree?