Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   The temperature drop and I started getting an image of a Snow crystal ?? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656583)

BmwLifestyle 11-06-2012 05:26 PM

The temperature drop and I started getting an image of a Snow crystal ??

I have no idea what the snow crystal is about , and I try looking for the image in my manual but it doesn't have it . Can anyone please help me out ? Thanks in advance . :eek:

PartyBoyWA 11-06-2012 05:29 PM

I believe that it's just letting you know it's chilly out and to be aware for ice on the road.

So friendly, huh?:)

twhisten 11-06-2012 05:35 PM

If it goes below, i think 38 degrees F, the snowflake come on to let you know that its cold outside.

BmwLifestyle 11-06-2012 05:41 PM

haha .. that is friendly I'm shocked . I love being a BMW owner even more after seeing both of your comments .

Thanks for the information PartyboyWA and twhisten .

laser 11-06-2012 05:48 PM

The snow flake is usually accompanied by a TPMS alert as your tire pressure drops with the temp!

GarySL 11-06-2012 05:49 PM

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...titled-1-1.jpg

BmwLifestyle 11-06-2012 05:55 PM

I did get a TPMS alert about 3 weeks ago when the temperature first drop around the 40's . I filled the front and back tires in their respective pressure . Yesterday and today the temperature drop around 20-30's so I got the snow crystal by it self , so I'm guessing I should be ok with the tire pressure for now . Thanks for replying and sharing your knowledge, Much appreciated.

BmwLifestyle 11-06-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarySL (Post 7180024)

LMAO .. Thanks for the laugh !

Nordic_Kat 11-06-2012 05:56 PM

It must be a mild fall. We are only about a month overdue for this query! :angel:

MMME30W 11-06-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat (Post 7180043)
It must be a mild fall. We are only about a month overdue for this query! :angel:

Yep. :D

craignet 11-06-2012 07:31 PM

It's not a snow flake. It's a warning that a worm hole is opening near by!

Isn't it?

tturedraider 11-06-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat (Post 7180043)

This is the first one this year isn't it?

gpburdell 11-07-2012 04:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The manual isn't real clear if you're just looking for a snowflake, but here's the section.

sptt144 11-07-2012 08:38 PM

That is very cool. I remember when I lived in Seattle and the temps dropped to 30 degrees without snow. All of the main highways ended up being closed because of multiple accidents due to black ice and rear end accidents. Lots of bridges and cold wind. I am from So Cal and had no idea how quickly that can happen. How cool that pir car will warn us!

leejak 11-07-2012 11:13 PM

It's to warn you of possible black ice.....although I love the worm hole idea:rofl::rofl:

andrew b 11-08-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 7180591)
This is the first one this year isn't it?

There was one earlier. I seem to recall Kat added that she has an odd, blinking green light that appears sometimes, often preceded by a turn.

-=Hot|Ice=- 11-08-2012 06:56 AM

It's letting you know that the road may freeze over. Be careful. :) German engineering.

///M-ratedE90 11-08-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew b (Post 7183248)
There was one earlier. I seem to recall Kat added that she has an odd, blinking green light that appears sometimes, often preceded by a turn.

Yep - The American way! Complete the manouver and then signal...maybe...

Nordic_Kat 11-08-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 (Post 7183359)

LOL. IIRC, I said the funny green blinking arrow coincides with the way my wheels are pointed. If I completed the manouver first, wouldn't my wheels be straight? :bigpimp::p

andrew b 11-08-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 (Post 7183359)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat (Post 7183436)
LOL. IIRC, I said the funny green blinking arrow coincides with the way my wheels are pointed. If I completed the manouver first, wouldn't my wheels be straight? :bigpimp::p

LOL, I preceded when I should have postceded. or something.

nringo 11-08-2012 12:08 PM

Just received that warning last week in my new (to me) '09 335i. Freaked me out at first. My old VW Passat had a similar warning - but it also had warnings come on quite a bit for things that were always breaking - the reason I just got rid of it:)

madurodave 11-08-2012 12:19 PM

If you ignore the warning the second warning is a mechanical hand slapping you in the face!

Nordic_Kat 11-08-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madurodave (Post 7184012)
If you ignore the warning the second warning is a snowball in the face!

Fixed!!

;)

hellosopo 11-08-2012 05:47 PM

The snowflake has totally desensitized me to the warning chime in the car. I bought my BMW in winter and it was cold enough that the snowflake alert would chime when I first turned it on. I easily ignored this since it just spammed during the seatbelt warning. (It doesn't even wait for the seatbelt chimes to finish, it sloppily interrupts instead.) Then as it got a little warmer, it would chime while I was driving and send my heart into my throat. I'm accustomed to cars that chime at me when driving only when something really bad is happening like a flat tire or engine problems. But no, in a BMW it means the outside temperature has just hit 37 degrees. This time of year it is constantly blinging at me.

It really throws off passengers too, like WTF is that? After I explain it to them, they appreciate the idea, but they don't have to live with it every day for half of the year...

Nordic_Kat 11-08-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosopo (Post 7184562)
The snowflake has totally desensitized me to the warning chime in the car. I bought my BMW in winter and it was cold enough that the snowflake alert would chime when I first turned it on. I easily ignored this since it just spammed during the seatbelt warning. (It doesn't even wait for the seatbelt chimes to finish, it sloppily interrupts instead.) Then as it got a little warmer, it would chime while I was driving and send my heart into my throat. I'm accustomed to cars that chime at me when driving only when something really bad is happening like a flat tire or engine problems. But no, in a BMW it means the outside temperature has just hit 37 degrees. This time of year it is constantly blinging at me.

It really throws off passengers too, like WTF is that? After I explain it to them, they appreciate the idea, but they don't have to live with it every day for half of the year...

Do you recall the CNBC documentary on BMW and the segment about the sound engineer who 'designs' all the chimes? I maintain that he failed at his job. If you have ever had the seatbelt gong/ low fuel gong/ and snowflake gong happen simultaneously, it is apparent that these should have been designed as a harmonic arpeggio. It would have much more impact and be so much more understandable why the car is emulating the noises made by a Las Vegas slot machine hitting the jackpot.