Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Deltran Battery Tender or CTEK SmartCharger (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656587)

Nordic_Kat 11-06-2012 05:31 PM

Deltran Battery Tender or CTEK SmartCharger

Here's an easy poll (on election day). I need a battery tender for my E93. Do I get a CTEK Smart Charger or a Deltran Battery Tender?

Please post experiences with either brand.

Thanks.

laser 11-06-2012 05:46 PM

OK so I'm cheap .... Wal-Mart Shumacher battery tender for $19 bucks keeps me chraged and even does my garden tractor automatically sensing that it is 6 volts.

Nordic_Kat 11-06-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laser (Post 7180019)
OK so I'm cheap .... Wal-Mart Shumacher battery tender for $19 bucks keeps me chraged and even does my garden tractor automatically sensing that it is 6 volts.

Ooh, I have a philosophical issue with Walmart, but otherwise - good suggestion.

Laser, you hit the nail on the head regarding my batt. Woohoo, they are replacing mine. BTW, thanks for the insight and coaching.

PartyBoyWA 11-06-2012 05:59 PM

I can't speak for the other charger. But I've got a Battery Tender and it's outstanding. What I do like about the Battery Tender is that it's a 4 stage charger. I can't recall what all 4 stages do, but they are programmed in in order to correctly charge the battery according to it's voltage/capacity.

Pic below of the one I have. This one, due to its size, takes a little while to charge up a dead battery (4 days). But if you're just wanting to maintain your battery while you don't drive your car for an extended period, it's great.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/h...-6852145dt.jpg

galahad05 11-06-2012 06:50 PM

I use a Battery Tender on my superbike (stored over the winter) and I just got the exact same model for my (way out of State) mother's SUV. That's how much I like this device. So easy to use.

cris4 11-06-2012 08:01 PM

I've used a battery tender on my motorcycle for the past four years and I bought one and have used it on my new BMW, they seem to work fine.

SD Z4MR 11-06-2012 08:03 PM

Battery Tender is the one that is recommended by Mike Miller, Technical Editor for both the Roundel and Bimmer magazine.

pistolpuma 11-06-2012 08:25 PM

I still haven't bought one..yet. But his is crazy. I have a $55K car that I have to hook up to a $15 charger every night I think it may sit for a day or two. There has to be a better solution. It's annoying, aggravating, and inconvenient.

I'm still in a voting mood from this morning.

galahad05 11-06-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolpuma (Post 7180395)
I still haven't bought one..yet. But his is crazy. I have a $55K car that I have to hook up to a $15 charger every night I think it may sit for a day or two. There has to be a better solution. It's annoying, aggravating, and inconvenient.

I'm still in a voting mood from this morning.

Why do you feel it's necessary to put the car on a float charger? I've easily gone two weeks (car in long term airport parking) several times with no battery problems.

pistolpuma 11-07-2012 04:31 AM

Good question. Your's behaves as I would have expected of mine. BUT I've got the same problem as Kat. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=650653

I've had it in 3 or 4 times because of slow cranking after it sits for 2-3 days. Now it's at a point where it can't sit for 24 hours. I think the battery is toast. But, I need to find out what's causing the drain. That's why it's in the shop now.

No way could I leave mine in an airport lot and expect it to start upon my return.

richbmw 11-07-2012 05:27 AM

I have had the BMW one, which is a battery tender, for several years and have used it on both e-90 and e-92. Works great, just plug it in when in the garage when car is not being used for a few days or when driving short trips, never had a problem. Have read the other one is also good. I feel it is necessary for my situation, and it sounds like your situation is similar.

Bill-SD 11-07-2012 06:56 AM

I have a Battery Tender and am happy with it. I use it about once a month, and when I'm on vacation. I have not used CTEK, but that's probably a good option also.

Bob Shiftright 11-07-2012 07:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat (Post 7179995)
Here's an easy poll (on election day). I need a battery tender for my E93. Do I get a CTEK Smart Charger or a Deltran Battery Tender?

Please post experiences with either brand.

Thanks.

I have the relabeled BMW Deltran. The ground plug broke off, after the BMW parts warranty and the cost of sending it back and arguing with Deltran was about half of the price of the unit in the first place. Plus my time.

I now use a CTEK (which is also sold relabeled by Porsche).

-=Hot|Ice=- 11-07-2012 07:55 AM

I use the Battery Tender Plus. No problems.

Lufthansa 11-07-2012 08:12 AM

Bought the Deltran on Amazon shortly after getting the car (3/10), and use it when the car goes over a week without being driven. Also use it on the Lexus when I'll be gone over a week in the Bimmer.

chuckee98 11-07-2012 08:42 AM

Get the CTEK. I've gone through multiple Deltrans over the years, with eventual failure. Currently using a CTEK.

This is what I posted on the "other" forum. Don't know if the coupon code works anymore (doubt it).

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckee98 (Post 9163045)
So my 10+ year old Battery Tender gave up the ghost the other day. I've had 3 Battery Tenders on my bike and multiple cars over the past 20 years, and have had 2 fail within that time, and figured it was time for something different. After doing some research, CTEK comes up frequently as a recommended maintenance charger, and I decided to get one. Found a coupon posted on the 'net for 20% off at Amazon, which sealed the deal. (Amazon was also kind enough to send me a coupon AFTER I had made my purchase. LOL.)

So, I figured I'd share with anyone who may be considering a CTEK purchase from Amazon - 20% off plus free shipping:

As someone who has shown an interest in automotive parts and accessories at Amazon.com, you might like to know about our special coupon code offer that will save you an additional 20% on our everyday low prices for select battery chargers and maintainers.

To receive your coupon code discount, simply add the item to your Shopping Cart and then enter the associated coupon code when prompted during checkout. Please note, these codes can only be used once per customer and only apply to products sold by Amazon.com. They do not apply to items sold by other merchants on the Amazon.com website.

To get 20% off the everyday low price of the CTEK Multi US 7002 12-volt battery charger or CTEK Multi US 3300 12-volt Smart battery charger, enter coupon code CTEKDEAL.

chuckee98 11-07-2012 08:48 AM

I forgot that I had posted here, too:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=528014

fun2drive 11-07-2012 02:23 PM

Kat:
I have 5 battery tenders all juniors because for our cars there is no need to use a full size one. I have them on generators, my Ford Super Duty with 2 Optima batteries and all 3 of my BMWs. I now have only 2 BMWs and a new Outback and 2 generators but I use them all.
In 10 years I have never had one issue with any of them and they continue to provide great service.
My 335 battery is now 5 years 10 months and my M3/4 battery is closing in on 9 years. I think the only reason they last that long is because I religiously use them when I am not using one of the vehicles.
I think the CTEK is first rate also so either works. I got my juniors for something like 25 bucks free shipping from Amazon...

Nordic_Kat 11-07-2012 02:44 PM

The Deltran units are clearly the favorite here. One of the things that intrigues me about the CTEK units are they claim (on their website) to have a 'patented desulfation process'. Is this just marketing hype? What I have read about sulfation of batteries is that it is more prevalent in hot humid climates. Does the Deltran unit have the same capablity, but they don't name it as such?

-=Hot|Ice=- 11-07-2012 03:50 PM

CTEK'S are higher quality units. I use my Deltran for my bike in the winter. I've had it for three years now without issue. The difference here is that the Deltran unit has a four step process compared to the CTEK's eight step process. CTEKS are insulated while Deltrans aren't. I'll get a thread up about it shortly.

Honestly, if your battery is that dead and won't accept charge anymore, I'd replace it. That's just me though. I wouldn't want a battery that's been 'revived' as CTEK calls it to be under my hood and when I go to start my car up, expect for it to turn on..and it just sit there. I like to be a bit on the cautious side.

This is what I've been using:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...Battery+Tender

galahad05 11-07-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat (Post 7182136)
The Deltran units are clearly the favorite here. One of the things that intrigues me about the CTEK units are they claim (on their website) to have a 'patented desulfation process'. Is this just marketing hype? What I have read about sulfation of batteries is that it is more prevalent in hot humid climates. Does the Deltran unit have the same capablity, but they don't name it as such?

Deltran has such a feature as well (I thought). Essentially "shock" the battery with pulses of high voltage.

galahad05 11-07-2012 04:28 PM

Just looked at the documentation. No, it actually does not look like the Battery Tender series has this feature.

EDIT: But the question is, would you trust (and use) a car battery that you did this to--implying that the battery had become essentially "dead" and you revived it via this method? If the answer is YES, then maybe this feature is useful for you. If the answer is NO, then it's a pointless feature for you.

Nordic_Kat 11-07-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- (Post 7182265)
CTEK'S are higher quality units. I use my Deltran for my bike in the winter. I've had it for three years now without issue. The difference here is that the Deltran unit has a four step process compared to the CTEK's eight step process. CTEKS are insulated while Deltrans aren't. I'll get a thread up about it shortly.

Honestly, if your battery is that dead and won't accept charge anymore, I'd replace it. That's just me though. I wouldn't want a battery that's been 'revived' as CTEK calls it to be under my hood and when I go to start my car up, expect for it to turn on..and it just sit there. I like to be a bit on the cautious side.

This is what I've been using:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...Battery+Tender

The battery was replaced today under warranty. After doing every diagnostic they could possibly dream up, the consensus of the service department at my dealership is that I:

1) don't drive the car for long enough periods of time (I live 5.3 miles from where I work, on a good day, if I hit all the lights right, I can do the 5 miles in about 7 minutes door to door.)
2) open and and close the driver's door too many times between significant drive cycles (so shoot me for opening the door too many times while giving the car its weekly bath).
3) Turn the car on then off without enough "on time" for the alternator to do its job. (How long should it take to back the car into the drive to wash it?)

On the service paperwork they indicated that because the battery had previously died, and been recharged it is now not properly holding a charge.

Bottom line, now that I have a fresh battery in the car, if the car is indeed a voltage vampire, I'm going to make sure I give it plenty of supplementation so the new battery doesn't die an early death as well.

I have to admit, the 8 step process touted by CTEK has me intrigued, plus it's a very streamlined unit. The practical side of me is struggling with the form vs. function side of the equation.

Nordic_Kat 11-07-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galahad05 (Post 7182334)
Just looked at the documentation. No, it actually does not look like the Battery Tender series has this feature.

EDIT: But the question is, would you trust (and use) a car battery that you did this to--implying that the battery had become essentially "dead" and you revived it via this method? If the answer is YES, then maybe this feature is useful for you. If the answer is NO, then it's a pointless feature for you.

From what I understand, sulfation is a progressive process, and being a chemical reaction is with no doubt accelerated by temperature. My thought process is by starting with this fresh battery and proactively maintaining it in spite of my "bad behaviors" (state in my above post), I can prevent the new battery from ever sulfating. That is where my interest in the feature originates.

-=Hot|Ice=- 11-07-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat (Post 7182416)
The battery was replaced today under warranty. After doing every diagnostic they could possibly dream up, the consensus of the service department at my dealership is that I:

1) don't drive the car for long enough periods of time (I live 5.3 miles from where I work, on a good day, if I hit all the lights right, I can do the 5 miles in about 7 minutes door to door.)
2) open and and close the driver's door too many times between significant drive cycles (so shoot me for opening the door too many times while giving the car its weekly bath).
3) Turn the car on then off without enough "on time" for the alternator to do its job. (How long should it take to back the car into the drive to wash it?)

On the service paperwork they indicated that because the battery had previously died, and been recharged it is now not properly holding a charge.

Bottom line, now that I have a fresh battery in the car, if the car is indeed a voltage vampire, I'm going to make sure I give it plenty of supplementation so the new battery doesn't die an early death as well.

I have to admit, the 8 step process touted by CTEK has me intrigued, plus it's a very streamlined unit. The practical side of me is struggling with the form vs. function side of the equation.

The general consensus is that the car has to be driven enough so that A.) The engine is at proper operating temperature for at least an hour a day so that the battery can charge itself. This is what I've been told by techs at work.

I'd spend the extra $ and buy the CTEK 3300 or the 7002 simply because they are high quality units and Deltrans warranty is a joke.(They charge you $15 to look at the unit and YOU have to pay for shipping) I'd go for the CTEK. They are very good. We use BMW's chargers(relabeled Deltrans) at work all the time and they're cheap, and one of the ground plugs broke off on one of them while the other just sits there and flashes it's lights. The CTEKs that I have used have been flawless and very easy to use. If you have any other questions or need clarification on anything, please let me know and I will do my best to help.