Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   How do you roll the vehicle when it stalls? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656612)

hyde 11-06-2012 08:27 PM

How do you roll the vehicle when it stalls?

*sorry, this should be in E70 section*

Just a simple question, how do you put the X5 in neutral when engine is not running, so it can roll freely when it stalls/runs out of gas.. Today -waiting on the gas line that extended for over 5 blocks in NYC- I thought to myself what I run out of gas by the time i reach there.. Since I was on a hill I tried to turn the engine off and roll it, of course it didn't happen.
What would happen if I run out of gas? How do I roll the x5 down the hill or push it?

QSilver7 11-06-2012 10:53 PM

We need some clarification.

Automatic or manual transmission on your X5? And when you say "I tried to turn the engine off & roll it, of course it didn't happen"...are you saying you put the vehicle in neutral and it wouldn't roll down hill...or are you saying you couldn't get the vehicle in neutral at all...and when "it" didn't happen...what are you saying didn't happen? The vehicle wouldn't go into neutral or the vehicle wouldn't roll once put into neutral?

hyde 11-06-2012 11:03 PM

It's 2012, Automatic Transmission, Steptronic.
Vehicle rolls fine when the engine is running once it's shifted to neutral. I wanted to let it continue rolling when I shut the engine off, but apparently it shifts back to park automatically the moment I turn the engine off. Does this mean there is no way to push the vehicle or roll it on a hill if I run out of gas? My previous vehicle had mechanical AUTO shifter which would go into N once key was in ON state (not running) but BMW seems to have set everything electronically, so even if I hit the start button twice (ON state, not RUN) I still cannot shift the transmission to N.

TechWrench 11-07-2012 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyde (Post 7180620)
It's 2012, Automatic Transmission, Steptronic.
Vehicle rolls fine when the engine is running once it's shifted to neutral. I wanted to let it continue rolling when I shut the engine off, but apparently it shifts back to park automatically the moment I turn the engine off. Does this mean there is no way to push the vehicle or roll it on a hill if I run out of gas? My previous vehicle had mechanical AUTO shifter which would go into N once key was in ON state (not running) but BMW seems to have set everything electronically, so even if I hit the start button twice (ON state, not RUN) I still cannot shift the transmission to N.

I would read through the owners manual on this. There should be some way to over ride the auto-park feature. Otherwise, how would the vehicle be towed, or loaded onto a flatbed if it couldn't manually be put into neutral to roll it?

QSilver7 11-07-2012 04:42 AM

Ah...the joys of electronic shift.

Still not knowing which of the multiple e70 X5 engines/transmission set-ups you have...make sure that BMW didn't provide a chapter in your owners manual that describes the procedure to manually OVER-RIDE the electronic tranny shift lock-out (in order to get the vehicle into neutral). New cars with electronic shift usually follow a procedure that would have you press the brake pedal (or emergency handle lever)...and there's probably a small access panel somewhere around the shifter or under the dash that allows you to manually override the elec/shift...again, double check your owners manual to see if they detail where this panel may be located.

Good luck, and please post back what you find. I'm sure there will be other e70 X5 owners that could use this very important information...and if this thread never resolves itself with an answer...it will be another dead end for those searching in the future.

Again, good luck...and I hope this points you in the right direction. :)

EDIT: TechWrench...ya beat me to the punch..I should have refreshed my screen. :D

QSilver7 11-10-2012 07:48 AM

BUMP

Hey...any follow up on this? Are there instructions in the e70 owners manual on how to manually put the vehicle into neutral when there's no electrical power? If there are instructions...what are they?

Help us all learn together...that's how the forum learns & grows...and becomes an awesome resource that is fertile with knowledge. We've gotta give back to the forum as well as glean from it...leaving issues unresolved leads to a lot of "dead-end" searches for future owners looking for information. :D

gbalt 11-17-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QSilver7 (Post 7187086)
BUMP

Hey...any follow up on this? Are there instructions in the e70 owners manual on how to manually put the vehicle into neutral when there's no electrical power? If there are instructions...what are they?

Help us all learn together...that's how the forum learns & grows...and becomes an awesome resource that is fertile with knowledge. We've gotta give back to the forum as well as glean from it...leaving issues unresolved leads to a lot of "dead-end" searches for future owners looking for information. :D

I ended up in this dead end. Thought I would close it out with a solution.

There are two issues to resolve to get an E70 or similar automated BMW rolling: The parking brake and the automatic transmission lock must both be released.

Transmission:
- Neutral remains engaged if you depress the brake, switch to neutral, then shut off the engine while leaving the key in (or in range). Note: the transmission will automatically engage park after 30 minutes.
- If the vehicle has power and is in park, turn it on, depress the brake, switch to neutral, turn it off.
- In the event of a power failure, the transmission lock must be manually released:
--Manual release of the transmission requires use of the releasing tool contained in the tool kit.
--Open the cup holders, take out the center bar, use the tool to remove the bottom of the cup holders.
--Insert the tool into the hole in the driver's cupholder and turn the bolt at the bottom 160 clockwise then press down.

It's that simple :(

Automatic Parking Break
- Turn off the automatic parking brake by pressing down on the brake pedal then pushing down on them parking brake switch in the center console.
- If the automatic parking brake fails, it must be disabled manually.
- Using the release tool from the tool kit, there are release points located on each side in the panels in the cargo area.
- You have to pull up harder than you would want to - a few inches - until you hear it go.

I found the answer on pages 58-62 of the manual that I grabbed here:
http://www.bmwsections.com/docs/x5/

QSilver7 11-18-2012 01:03 PM

Thanks for the info/resolution. Hope I never have to do either when the time comes that I own a vehicle with electronic transmission lock and/or electronic parking brake.