Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Adaptive Headlights (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656773)

Jaysea7 11-07-2012 03:17 PM

Adaptive Headlights

I had to have the right side adaptive headlight module replaced.

I am curious as to "Programming the Moudule"

It took about 4 hours. What is programmed and why does it take so much time.

sptt144 11-07-2012 06:10 PM

If it was at the dealer, it is so they could bill the company the max allowed!!!

CALWATERBOY 11-07-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaysea7 (Post 7182081)
I had to have the right side adaptive headlight module replaced.

I am curious as to "Programming the Moudule"

It took about 4 hours. What is programmed and why does it take so much time.

Have seen no reason at all for BMW's grossly long programming times. Should take maybe 10 sec. to load code.

Maybe they're using 1200 baud. Would that be disappointing?

bmwrocks 11-08-2012 06:59 AM

It is my understanding that they sometimes have to do a full update when programming. In other words they reload all the software in the system to get you up to the latest software revs for all modules. This takes time. Apparently lots of it.

Orient330iNYC 11-08-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwrocks (Post 7183229)
It is my understanding that they sometimes have to do a full update when programming. In other words they reload all the software in the system to get you up to the latest software revs for all modules. This takes time. Apparently lots of it.

yup, they often have to program all modules to ensure compatibility across the network, and if it fails, they have to start over. the car also needs to be connected to a high amp power supply (not just a charger) to make sure the voltage doesnt drop during programming.

Squidget 11-08-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7182544)
Have seen no reason at all for BMW's grossly long programming times. Should take maybe 10 sec. to load code.

I've done some embedded programming work on systems like that. They can be ungodly slow sometimes. You are often updating over a very slow RS-232 serial cable, and the memory controllers have long erase cycles. A 48K bank could take half an hour to reprogram due to various issues. Course, that was back in the 1990s.

Could they use faster stuff? Sure. Would there be any business value? Probably not to justify the development costs. I mean, obviously an ASE tech isn't waiting for four hours, they are off multitasking.

And we all know that car manufacturers value their production costs WAAAY more than they value the mechanics time. Horror stories like pulling the whole engine just to replace an alternator.

Zeichen311 11-08-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidget (Post 7184143)
Could they use faster stuff? Sure. Would there be any business value? Probably not to justify the development costs. I mean, obviously an ASE tech isn't waiting for four hours, they are off multitasking.

I had a couple of interesting conversations about this with the service manager and shop foreman of my local dealer, around when they were moving to a new facility. The current standard for BMW service departments has a high-speed Ethernet drop at every service bay. Also the in-house servers are now capable of hosting most firmware updates for the cars--not that long ago, certain updates had to be streamed to the car direct from Germany. You can imagine how well that went sometimes, contributing to a higher flat-hours figure for reflashes. The car itself is undoubtedly the slowest link now.

The tech will be off doing other things but part of the billed time probably accounts for tying up a service bay with active work, attended or not. Bottom line, there is definitely plenty of business value in being able to churn more cars through the shop.

Jaysea7 11-15-2012 05:44 PM

Thanks!

Thanks to all who replied.

Did not realize that the "Programming" was not item specific.

Sounds kinda scarry, knowing what happens with a bad download/ flash.

Jaysea7 :yikes:

Sportsdad 11-15-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7182544)

:rofl:
Surprised there is anyone old enough on this forum to remember what it felt like transmitting data at 1200 baud. :eeps:

Sportsdad 11-15-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidget (Post 7184143)
I've done some embedded programming work on systems like that. They can be ungodly slow sometimes. You are often updating over a very slow RS-232 serial cable, and the memory controllers have long erase cycles. A 48K bank could take half an hour to reprogram due to various issues. Course, that was back in the 1990s.

And we all know that car manufacturers value their production costs WAAAY more than they value the mechanics time. Horror stories like pulling the whole engine just to replace an alternator.

This.
But the development costs should not be passed to the consumer. My 2 cents..

gpburdell 11-16-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsdad (Post 7197567)
development costs should not be passed to the consumer.

Ultimately all costs end up passed on to customers in one way or another.

CALWATERBOY 11-16-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsdad (Post 7197563)
:rofl:
Surprised there is anyone old enough on this forum to remember what it felt like transmitting data at 1200 baud. :eeps:

Once is a while....a very long while....ya run across a digital dinosaur sloggin' through the muck.

Show stopper: 300 baud handset connection. That's just gotta be why code install times are so long....below is a tech instructor w/BMW reprogramming gear:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_la...dzljo1_500.jpg