Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   X3 slid into curb in snow... Should I be worried? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656853)

APe83 11-07-2012 08:27 PM

X3 slid into curb in snow... Should I be worried?

Hi all. New to the forums here.

I was driving my x3 in the snow tonight and I was turning a corner at about 15 mph. The car slid and hit the curb. I drove it home for about 40 min and didn't hear or feel anything, nor did it look odd, other than the curb rash. Should I be worried? Is it likely that a problem will later problem develop with the wheels from the impact?

Thank you!!

timarnold 11-08-2012 04:19 AM

Unless you bent a wheel, which should result in substantial vibration, it is unlikely you did anything to the suspension. The components are pretty beefy and there are rubber bushings at the suspension mounting points except of course the tie rod ends. So if your X3 steers straight without vibration, drive on.

ioannis214 11-08-2012 04:46 AM

Shouldn't be a problem based on speed. However, due to the cars weight, it might be worth having a wheel alignment check, if something went out of place it will show up and you can have it corrected.

TheFinanceGuy 11-08-2012 04:51 AM

Could be huge problem, you should just give the car to me. :angel:

halltristan 11-08-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APe83 (Post 7182786)
Hi all. New to the forums here.

I was driving my x3 in the snow tonight and I was turning a corner at about 15 mph. The car slid and hit the curb. I drove it home for about 40 min and didn't hear or feel anything, nor did it look odd, other than the curb rash. Should I be worried? Is it likely that a problem will later problem develop with the wheels from the impact?

Thank you!!

This is serious. You're going to need new suspension all around - new struts, springs, possibly even new axles, control arms, etc. You're looking at $5000 at least in repairs. You'll probably need to replace your transmission and engine out too just to be sure that everything is good. Wouldn't hurt to install some training wheel either SO YOU CAN LEARN HOW TO DRIVE.

x3brian 11-08-2012 09:00 AM

I would check my tire pressure before driving. If all are above 32 psi you should be fine. The only thing I would suggest is an alignment.

AzNMpower32 11-08-2012 09:49 AM

You need to get the alignment checked. There may be no apparent pulling but there are other factors like toe, camber, etc...angles that could adversely affect tire wear and handling.

Dominic49 11-08-2012 11:30 AM

was the wheel straight or turned at the time?

x3brian 11-08-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halltristan (Post 7183564)
This is serious. You're going to need new suspension all around - new struts, springs, possibly even new axles, control arms, etc. You're looking at $5000 at least in repairs. You'll probably need to replace your transmission and engine out too just to be sure that everything is good. Wouldn't hurt to install some training wheel either SO YOU CAN LEARN HOW TO DRIVE.

Said like Sheldon on Big Bang....

"This is sarcasm right?"

x3brian 11-08-2012 12:16 PM

-

APe83 11-08-2012 01:48 PM

Wow... some people are incredibly rude on here...

For those who were helpful and answered nicely. Thank you for the advice. The wheel was straight when I hit it. I guess I will go get a wheel alignment check done.

Thanks again!

nightmareuki 11-08-2012 02:30 PM

alignment check!!! also get better/winter tires if you curbed your X3 at 15mph

APe83 11-08-2012 02:39 PM

How much does an alignment check typically cost?

halltristan 11-08-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APe83 (Post 7184283)
How much does an alignment check typically cost?

An alignment can cost anywhere from $30 to $200. Call around to local auto places and find out for yourself. Us trying to tell you what something should cost in your area would be like trying to guess how many craters are on the moon. And you calling people rude is rude in and of itself. People hit curbs everyday - I am amazed that anyone has given this thread serious consideration.

mlukas161 11-08-2012 04:42 PM

I pay 180 at the BMW dealer to have my alignment done. It's probably worth having them check the suspension components while they're at it. Good luck. Accidents can happen to anyone.

nightmareuki 11-08-2012 04:45 PM

but dont go in saying that you hit a curb, just say that you have not done it in a while, if you say you hit curb its gona be a jackpot for them

kisas 11-10-2012 06:39 AM

Didn't the xDrive kick in? where was the DCS ? sliding at 15 miles? :yikes:

Supercourse 11-10-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kisas (Post 7186990)
Didn't the xDrive kick in? where was the DCS ? sliding at 15 miles? :yikes:

Stability and traction interventions are more pronounced at higher speed.

At 15 mph there was probably much more of a RWD bias than the more normal 40/60.

But tire condition, road camber and other factors might have been a consideration in this instance.

kisas 11-10-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercourse (Post 7187080)
Stability and traction interventions are more pronounced at higher speed.

At 15 mph there was probably much more of a RWD bias than the more normal 40/60.

But tire condition, road camber and other factors might have been a consideration in this instance.

Sounds reasonable. I was impressed by the youtube videos showing BMW has steady control when making turns on snow field. This is one of the biggest factors that make me inclined to buying a BMW xDrive.

nightmareuki 11-10-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kisas (Post 7187164)
Sounds reasonable. I was impressed by the youtube videos showing BMW has steady control when making turns on snow field. This is one of the biggest factors that make me inclined to buying a BMW xDrive.

doesnt matter what car you have if you have **** tires you gona crash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2wTg0l3_wI

kisas 11-10-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightmareuki (Post 7187170)
doesnt matter what car you have if you have **** tires you gona crash.

wow, make huge difference. But Changing the four tires every year?
(to people in the north) do you actually do this?

nightmareuki 11-10-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kisas (Post 7187185)

i have a winter set and a summer set, will be putting on winter set soon.
winters are 17" continental winter contact
summers are 19" staggered continental DWS

even if you hit black ice one a year that's the difference between going of the road and a big scare. definitely worth 1.2k and in the long run you're not paying my extra but are MUCH safer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhVGeIgLdlI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsEAOBrK81A

AzNMpower32 11-10-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kisas (Post 7187185)

We usually have a seperate set of wheels/tires that we simply swap seasonally. I'm actually considering doing it again this year after a hiatus last winter (which really wasn't a winter in Raleigh). The summer tires I have are pretty greasy below 7C, all-seasons won't be quite as pronounced but they are still not very effective below that temperature.

kisas 11-10-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightmareuki (Post 7187217)
i have a winter set and a summer set, will be putting on winter set soon.
winters are 17" continental winter contact
summers are 19" staggered continental DWS

even if you hit black ice one a year that's the difference between going of the road and a big scare. definitely worth 1.2k and in the long run you're not paying my extra but are

scary!!!

do you put on your winter tires yourself or have a shop do it? Changing tire for a SUV with xDrive should not be easy, right?

nightmareuki 11-10-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kisas (Post 7187507)
scary!!!

do you put on your winter tires yourself or have a shop do it? Changing tire for a SUV with xDrive should not be easy, right?

as easy as any other car/suv, there is no difference between xdrive and non xdrive vehicle when it comes to tires/rims etc. 5 lugs and you're done. but i bring it to firestone where i have lifetime alignment and they charge me like 40$ to swap wheels and recheck alignment x2 a year.