Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   05 X3 dealer repair. DIY or other choice or just ignore? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657054)

peter_cd.cn 11-08-2012 06:35 PM

05 X3 dealer repair. DIY or other choice or just ignore?
 
Hi Bimmer owners,

This just happen to me today: Went to dealer for an inspection I at 94500 mile, because the coolant light came up and I never took the car to dealer anymore after it passed warranty.

Advisor came back with following issue and cost:

1. Left driver side:
a. power window regulator is about to wear out.......................$475.00
b. front wheel rim bent.............................................. ........$465.00
2. drive belt cracked........................................... .......................$215.00
3. oil filter housing leaking .................................................. .......$840.00
4. rear differentiator leaking........................................... ............$390.00 (they say this is for the rear wheel rotation, for all wheel drive system)
5. suggested break fluid flush............................................. ................$140.00

This sums up to $2520.00, and I don't really know if I should processed.

Do any of you think I should go with dealer and get it done? How much money can I save with an indy car shop?

I don't see any leak drop on the ground. I would never know/notice all the above issue unless I had the car checked.

What do you guys think?
Thanks,
-Peter

Supercourse 11-08-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_cd.cn (Post 7184661)
This sums up to $2520.00, and I don't really know if I should processed.

In a word .... don't.

1. Left driver side:
a. power window REGULATOR is about to wear out .......................$475.00 Wow!
b. front wheel rim BENT .................................................. ........$465.00 Double Wow!

2. drive belt cracked, shpuld be no more than .............................$100.00

3. oil filter housing GASKET, should be approx..............................$400.00

4. real differential fluid change?, maybe ......................................$150.00

5. suggested BRAKE FLUID FLUSH - this one is about right...............$140.00

Aim for something closer to $1K at an independent shop.

Notes:
1 (a) How do they know? Slow closing? Noise? Could be window seals just need cleaning and lubing.
(b) Could be repaired by specialist for much less. This sounds like a replacement wheel.
Someone on this forum recently was selling 4 of them for about that price.
2. If done in conjunction with oil filter housing gasket the labor cost should be zero, and the part is about $25.
3. Unless they were thinking the housing itself needs replacing. Gasket leak is common around 100K miles, or before, so is worth doing before it really gives way.
4. Dealers don't usually promote diff. fluid changes. Maybe they see a leak and want to reseal it?

peter_cd.cn 11-08-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercourse (Post 7184788)
4. Dealers don't usually promote diff. fluid changes. Maybe they see a leak and want to reseal it?

Sorry, I made a typo in the original post. The number four is about "rear differentiator" for rear wheel rotate system.

Thanks for your reply. Now, I am looking to find a good car shop to have all this fixed. Hopefully they will do a good job.

The dealer probably knows what they are doing, but still too crazy for them to charge this much.
:tsk:

jdauria 11-09-2012 04:59 AM

Source a local reputable bmw mechanic who can do all this for about half the price of a stealership. Buy your own parts online and provide them to your mechanic so its strictly just labor.

Window regulator will cost you half what the dealership is asking
Wheel bend - personally if you have the full spare in your trunk I would just swap that in right away and wait to fix the bent one to save you some money right now.
Drive belt - purchase online and have mechanic do it
Oil filter housing - you should replace the resevoir and all hoses (feed and return - your around that mileage anyways)
Brake fluid flush - mechanic can do as well

UncleJ 11-09-2012 08:02 AM

All good advice but remember to check with your wrench to be sure they will accept provided parts for their installation. Some do, some don't. Virtually none will warranty your parts, just their installing them. Usually not a problem, since any difficulties usually show up when installing -- i.e. wrong part, won't fit, etc. The wrench will tell you and you can make your own return arrangements with your supplier. If that should happen you would probably be best served by having the wrench install his own parts while you get a refund for your bad ones.:angel:

peter_cd.cn 11-09-2012 03:16 PM

Dealer not so bad on this one.
 
I spend all day today calling different car shop to get an estimate. Surprisingly, the dealer gave me price quote similarly to what indy shops asked for. Only thing is the oil filter housing dealer charged twice as much.

Maybe they plan to do more works on the oil filter housing, so that's why it cost more. I am going to hold off on the wheel and window regulator, because I don't think they are bad yet.

peter_cd.cn 11-14-2012 06:47 PM

Had to go back to dealership
 
Final report on this whole process. Lesson learned, try not to break your BMW at the first place. It is gonna cost a lot no matter what.

Item fixed off the list:
--Break fluid flush $128
--Drive belt changed $180
--Rear diff input shaft seal $603

I went to one Indy shop get first two two item fixed, and saved only $45.00. Later, two Indy shops found out they can't fix the last item after a day inspection. Luckily, I don't have to pay for inspection, but that did cost two extra day.

Went back to a different dealer to fix the last item. Surprisingly, they charge $214 over more than the first item(after negotiated price and one more inspection at this new dealer).

The new dealer thinks the last dealership made mistake on calculating labor cost, so they can't match the price. If I go back to old dealer their schedule are full and can't get the car done in 2 days.

Would be better if I just finished everything at the first dealership at the very beginning. I would have saved money(spend $165 more) and time(took extra 5 days).

Oh well, at least everything is repaired now.

What would you guys do differently?

halltristan 11-14-2012 08:18 PM

Ok, seriously:

Window regulator: $200 at indy mechanic
bent rim: $200 for a refurbished wheel online.
Drive belt: $16 - so easy to change out you can do it yourself in five minutes
Oil filter housing gasket: $250 AT DEALER (I know because I had to have this done)
Rear differential fluid change: $50 - DO IT YOURSELF - EXTREMELY EASY
Brake Fluid Flush - $15 - DO IT YOURSELF

All in all, $800.00 should fix EVERYTHING, If you could do it all yourself, you could get it down to $415.

Long story short: You just wasted a bunch of money. The only thing that you should have had someone else do is the oil filter housing just because it is slightly more complicated.

halltristan 11-14-2012 08:26 PM

In comparisons too, let me tell you what I have done within the last week:

spark plugs: - $50
brake fluid flush on two BMWs - $30
Coolant flush: $40
power steering flush on two BMWs - $18
Clean Mass air sensor on two BMWs - $8
Air filter: $15
Cabin Filter: $22
Fuel injector cleaner: $5

TOTAL: $188.00
WHAT DEALER WOULD HAVE CHARGED: $1880.00 (probably)

I am by no means a mechanic but this stuff really isn't hard. Plenty of DIY instruction here; just spend an hour or so when you have the chance and learn a little.

mrsanchez3 11-15-2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halltristan (Post 7195812)
In comparisons too, let me tell you what I have done within the last week:

spark plugs: - $50
brake fluid flush on two BMWs - $30
Coolant flush: $40
power steering flush on two BMWs - $18
Clean Mass air sensor on two BMWs - $8
Air filter: $15
Cabin Filter: $22
Fuel injector cleaner: $5

TOTAL: $188.00
WHAT DEALER WOULD HAVE CHARGED: $1880.00 (probably)

I am by no means a mechanic but this stuff really isn't hard. Plenty of DIY instruction here; just spend an hour or so when you have the chance and learn a little.


And, please add Transfer Case fluid change to that list. I'll never let it go so long again. I think I'll change it annually from now on. It was so easy. It doesn't even really need to be on jack stands though that does make it easier.

Was your MAF very dirty? Could you tell a difference after cleaning? Do you use an oiled air filter or OEM?

jdauria 11-15-2012 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsanchez3 (Post 7196242)
And, please add Transfer Case fluid change to that list. I'll never let it go so long again. I think I'll change it annually from now on. It was so easy. It doesn't even really need to be on jack stands though that does make it easier.

Was your MAF very dirty? Could you tell a difference after cleaning? Do you use an oiled air filter or OEM?

Anyone have a quick DIY on Transfer Case Fluid Change?

As for MAF, if you have an oiled air filter ditch it and go back OEM dry filters...If you really want you can throw in a AFE dry filter into your stock airbox. Oiled filters can be such a headache, I've learned in my e46. I have to clean my maf and re-oil the filter every 6 months it seems. Hence why I am going back to stock airbox with AFE filter (Dry)

al_macaroni 11-15-2012 06:51 AM

Check out Post #38 on the DIY Sticky for transfer case fluid DIY
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=457330&page=2

I just changed my transfer case fluid last weekend. It was really straight forward. The big thing is to make sure you have a 16mm wrench, because there isn't enough room to get a socket on the fill plug.

jdauria 11-15-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by al_macaroni (Post 7196294)
Check out Post #38 on the DIY Sticky for transfer case fluid DIY
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=457330&page=2

I just changed my transfer case fluid last weekend. It was really straight forward. The big thing is to make sure you have a 16mm wrench, because there isn't enough room to get a socket on the fill plug.

Perfect thanks :thumbup:

mrsanchez3 11-15-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdauria (Post 7196342)
Perfect thanks :thumbup:

use a box end wrench so you don't round it off like I did.

Also, when I did mine it took about .9 liters to fill rather than the .69 that BMW claims fills it up.

halltristan 11-15-2012 07:40 AM

I only use Mann air filters. You won't see any performance boost with an oiled filter and it will kill your MAS over time. Even still I cleaned mine with some hope of seeing some MPG gain. Its recommended to clean it every time you change your air filter.

A word of advice: if you decide to clean your MAS: you don't have to take the air filter housing out. I know a lot of people do but you should have plenty of room. No need in working any harder than you must.

mrsanchez3 11-15-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halltristan (Post 7196395)
I only use Mann air filters. You won't see any performance boost with an oiled filter and it will kill your MAS over time. Even still I cleaned mine with some hope of seeing some MPG gain. Its recommended to clean it every time you change your air filter.

A word of advice: if you decide to clean your MAS: you don't have to take the air filter housing out. I know a lot of people do but you should have plenty of room. No need in working any harder than you must.

Agreed. I only use the Mann filters also..

Did you completely disconnect the MAS and clean it outside the car? Just curious how it's done as I've never done it. I'm sure it needs to be done by now.

peter_cd.cn 11-15-2012 10:12 AM

REALLY?? I wish I know it earlier.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by halltristan (Post 7195812)
In comparisons too, let me tell you what I have done within the last week:

spark plugs: - $50
brake fluid flush on two BMWs - $30
Coolant flush: $40
power steering flush on two BMWs - $18
Clean Mass air sensor on two BMWs - $8
Air filter: $15
Cabin Filter: $22
Fuel injector cleaner: $5

TOTAL: $188.00
WHAT DEALER WOULD HAVE CHARGED: $1880.00 (probably)

I am by no means a mechanic but this stuff really isn't hard. Plenty of DIY instruction here; just spend an hour or so when you have the chance and learn a little.

Glad to hear that you save a lot money doing things yourself. I spend a long time searching for this kind of information online, but couldn't find the right tutorial. I guess I am not using the right key word when searching.

I am totally support DIY, last DIY on my X3 was the sun roof tilt problem. Thanks to this forum member's instruction. It probably saved over a thousand bucks.

I have no idea spark plug and break flush can be so cheap. I did both with this time repair. spark plug cost over 400 at dealer, and the break flush cost me 128 at an indy shop.

While lessons learned, where did you find all this instructions? "sticky it forward" in this forum?

mrsanchez3 11-15-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_cd.cn (Post 7196734)
Glad to hear that you save a lot money doing things yourself. I spend a long time searching for this kind of information online, but couldn't find the right tutorial. I guess I am not using the right key word when searching.

I am totally support DIY, last DIY on my X3 was the sun roof tilt problem. Thanks to this forum member's instruction. It probably saved over a thousand bucks.

I have no idea spark plug and break flush can be so cheap. I did both with this time repair. spark plug cost over 400 at dealer, and the break flush cost me 128 at an indy shop.

While lessons learned, where did you find all this instructions? "sticky it forward" in this forum?

I found a nice starting point was bavauto.com. I've bought some things from them, but mostly they have a lot of DIY videos that are pretty nice.

Additionally, I've found a lot of good stuff on youtube.

halltristan 11-15-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsanchez3 (Post 7196411)
Agreed. I only use the Mann filters also..

Did you completely disconnect the MAS and clean it outside the car? Just curious how it's done as I've never done it. I'm sure it needs to be done by now.

Yes you have to completely remove the MAS from the vehicle to clean it. Super easy though.

Here's a DIY video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi0tXPWwxiI

You don't have to remove the air filter housing like I said before.

You can get a bottle of CRC Mass Air cleaner from Advanced Auto for $8. Basically, just spray it down a few times, let it dry, and stick it back in.

halltristan 11-15-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_cd.cn (Post 7196734)
where did you find all this instructions?

Bavauto has a nice DIY video collection that will give you the instructions to deal with probably 90% of maintenance and normal wear and tear replacements.

http://blog.bavauto.com/category/videos/

You can also check out the Bimmerfest Wiki. There isn't a lot for the X3 but you can reference the E46 section because its basically the same thing for your X3.

Other than that, I've gained most of my knowledge just by getting on here and looking through old posts. I figure if something happened to someone else before, it won't hurt to learn about it in case it ever happens to me.

mrsanchez3 11-15-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halltristan (Post 7196871)
Bavauto has a nice DIY video collection that will give you the instructions to deal with probably 90% of maintenance and normal wear and tear replacements.

http://blog.bavauto.com/category/videos/

You can also check out the Bimmerfest Wiki. There isn't a lot for the X3 but you can reference the E46 section because its basically the same thing for your X3.

Other than that, I've gained most of my knowledge just by getting on here and looking through old posts. I figure if something happened to someone else before, it won't hurt to learn about it in case it ever happens to me.

Excellent. Thanks.... Yes, I've used bavauto quite a bit....

jvest2000 11-20-2012 07:32 PM

One thing you can easily do yourself is make sure your engine air filter is clean/replaced, here is a handy guide to changing it and some good quality (and cheap) suggestions on nice German OEM air filters:

X3 Engine Air Filter Change DIY

Hope this helps somebody save some $$$.

Evlengr 11-20-2012 08:18 PM

Bent rim costs all of $120 to have fixed and repainted. Google wheel repair in your area.

And you know it will fit.

halltristan 11-20-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evlengr (Post 7206253)
Bent rim costs all of $120 to have fixed and repainted. Google wheel repair in your area.

And you know it will fit.

No. If the wheel is bent you don't want to have it fixed. You can buy a non-bent refurbished wheel online for around $150 shipping and all. Once a wheel is bent it cannot be repaired safely and structurally without being completely smelted and recast.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms