Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Speed Limiter on 550??? Dead Key battery?? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657080)

ronin550 11-09-2012 12:04 AM

Speed Limiter on 550??? Dead Key battery??

Hi, I was driving my 550 and pressing the gas down to see the speed. As my speed was increasing, nothing crazy, I think 105-110 a symbol popped up stating "LIMIT". The symbol popped up near my dials.

Does anyone know what this means?

Also, I have key less entry and all that go stuff. I don't need to plug my key into the ignition either. But when I start my car by pressing the button, there is a picture of a key and it looks like it is telling me the key's battery is dying. Can anyone tell me what this picture actually means and what I should do?? THanks.

SimiClyde 11-09-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin550 (Post 7184939)
Also, I have key less entry and all that go stuff. I don't need to plug my key into the ignition either. But when I start my car by pressing the button, there is a picture of a key and it looks like it is telling me the key's battery is dying. Can anyone tell me what this picture actually means and what I should do?? THanks.

Yes, replace the button battery in the key fob.

SimiClyde 11-09-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin550 (Post 7184939)
Hi, I was driving my 550 and pressing the gas down to see the speed. As my speed was increasing, nothing crazy, I think 105-110 a symbol popped up stating "LIMIT". The symbol popped up near my dials.

Going out on a limb here -- the car was warning you that you were exceeding the speed limit?

ronin550 11-09-2012 12:37 AM

What I meant was, us there a limiter on the speed? Or was it just a warning that your speed is high? All it said was "LIMIT"

ronin550 11-09-2012 12:39 AM

How do you replace the battery on the key fob? The salesman at BMW told me the key chargers inside the ignition if you plug it in. I did that, but the symbol keeps popping up.

SimiClyde 11-09-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin550 (Post 7184959)
How do you replace the battery on the key fob? The salesman at BMW told me the key chargers inside the ignition if you plug it in. I did that, but the symbol keeps popping up.

The cars with Comfort Access do not charge the keys. This has always been the case, so shame on the salesman for not knowing his product.

The key fob styles have changed a bit over time, so your best source of info will be the manual, which can be downloaded from the BMW web site (that's a bit of a PITA, but can be done).

For example, the key fob for my 2010 E60 has a little "door" on the back that can be pried open, after you remove the key from the fob (had to change it's battery at ~ 3 year mark).

The fob for my F07 is decidedly different -- it looks like it might also pry open, but I've not needed to change the battery yet, so haven't fiddled with it.

SimiClyde 11-09-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin550 (Post 7184957)
What I meant was, us there a limiter on the speed? Or was it just a warning that your speed is high? All it said was "LIMIT"

If I understand the feature correctly (big if, as I don't have it) -- some cars have a subsystem that tries to glean the posted speed limit from road signs, and then generate appropriate warnings. You should try to get a complete dump of what your car is equipped with -- give the site: bmwvin.com

You should be able to get a good read on what your car's packages / options are, and from there be in a better position to research the capabilities of specific features....

ronin550 11-09-2012 02:37 PM

Guys, I'm new to this forum but I wanted to say thank you for all the information! Much appreciated!! This is very cool!

lexhair 11-09-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin550 (Post 7184959)

Instructions are in the manual. I changed the batteries in the two fobs I have. Not hard at all.

1. Take the integrated key out of the remote control.
2. Push in the catch with the key.
3. Remove the cover of the battery compartment.
4. Insert a battery of the same type with the positive side facing upwards.
5. Press the cover closed.

Fish23 11-10-2012 08:57 AM

Lex is correct. I had to do the same thing with one of my fobs and decided to do them both.

Check your iDrive. In Settings, scroll down to 'Speed' where you can set a 'speed warning limit' which reminds you that you have exceeded it which is easy to do on the highway. The previous owner likely set it and that is what you are seeing and hearing. Find the setting and uncheck the box and it should not re-occur or set it to a speed at which you want a warning. Good luck.

The BoatMan 11-10-2012 09:20 AM

From your description sounds more like the speed limit warning and not the speed detection. Speed detection is more of a square with the speed inside.

As noted above, Speed limit warning is a user set feature:
idrive - settings, speed, warning at, and enter what you wish or turn off.

If you have the speed limit detection feature it will be listed here:
idrive - settings, info display, speed limit information

And btw there is a top speed limiter. I think its 150mph but could vary based on model and packages. Go to bmwusa and look up your model to be sure.

ronin550 11-10-2012 10:13 AM

Boatman! Thanks for the information. I'm new to the forum but I am loving all the information and assistance people provide. Thank you again!

Fish23 11-10-2012 12:29 PM

Boatman is correct. I mistook limiter for warning. My apologies.