Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Another Dynamic Handling Question (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657091)

wayner44 11-09-2012 01:34 AM

Another Dynamic Handling Question

Hey all, questions for someone who has DHP

With the xDrive models does the suspension get stiffer in sport mode or just in sport +

I know one of the main differences is sport+ has limited stability control, but not sure if sport mode actually adjust the dampers like sport+

sean10mm 11-09-2012 02:58 AM

Suspension gets stiffer in both, both modes are the same except for the difference in traction control.

wayner44 11-09-2012 12:37 PM

Also one more question.

Do Sport lines without the DHP still have the sport+ option?

If I test drove 2 335 xi sport lines back to back one with DHP and one without. Are there any interior options that specify the car is equip with the DHP package?

wayner44 11-09-2012 09:13 PM

anyone? sry I know its an od question, it is just something I am wondering.

windsor027 11-10-2012 01:47 AM

I don't know about the 335xi models I do know the sportline 335i models do have the sport+

wayner44 11-10-2012 01:58 AM

It is my knowledge that if the car has the Dynamic Handling Package then you can adjust the stiffness from the iDrive?

boltjaM3s 11-10-2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner44 (Post 7186838)
It is my knowledge that if the car has the Dynamic Handling Package then you can adjust the stiffness from the iDrive?

Yes.

The reason is the Adaptive M Suspension which is bundled in the DH Package (and also available separately):

On Sport line, hit a button and get the softer Comfort suspension.

On Luxury line, hit a button and get the firmer Sport suspension.

All the time, the adaptive dampers are sensing road conditions and making micro-adjustments to road feel.

BJ

bmw_or_audi 11-10-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7186894)
Yes.

The reason is the Adaptive M Suspension which is bundled in the DH Package (and also available separately):

On Sport line, hit a button and get the softer Comfort suspension.

On Luxury line, hit a button and get the firmer Sport suspension.

All the time, the adaptive dampers are sensing road conditions and making micro-adjustments to road feel.

BJ

When you "hit the button", does it only affect the suspension, or other things such as steering and throttle response change as well? It would be nice if you could control the suspension independently.

Btwy, are you sure you can have the Adaptive M suspension outside of the DHP? I can't see that as a standalone option on bmwusa, but of course that doesn't mean anything.

I also have yet to read some feedback here about the "Variable sport steering" component of the DHP. Any opinions by owners?

wayner44 11-10-2012 02:46 PM

Yes I also did not know you can order it as a separate option on the F30

jlukja 11-10-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi (Post 7187466)
When you "hit the button", does it only affect the suspension, or other things such as steering and throttle response change as well?

When you are in ECO or Comfort the suspension is in "soft" mode. ECO also provides much softer throttle response, all settings are to optimize fuel economy. SPORT and SPORT+ modes give you suspension in "firm" mode. Throttle response is much sharper, steering is heavier and feels more direct.

Quote:

Btwy, are you sure you can have the Adaptive M suspension outside of the DHP? I can't see that as a standalone option on bmwusa, but of course that doesn't mean anything.

I don't believe you can. On my MY2013 I had to order the DHP to get the adaptive M suspension. Didn't really want the variable sport steering but felt the adaptive M suspension was worth the price of the entire DHP.

Quote:

I also have yet to read some feedback here about the "Variable sport steering" component of the DHP. Any opinions by owners?

I really don' t notice it. It doesn't come into play on highway cruising or at higher speeds, only after you turn the wheel by more than 100 degrees (more than quarter turn) does the ratio quicken. Its actually quite handy making tight turns into my garage, in parking lots, or on tight switchbacks.

wayner44 11-10-2012 04:44 PM

A sure way to tell if the car has DHP is to pop the hood and see if there are wires coming from the top of the struts?

wayner44 11-11-2012 02:40 PM

bump

jlukja 11-11-2012 06:20 PM

You can also tell through the iDrive system. When configuring sport setup it will ask you if you want the suspension to adjust when sport is selected. This suspension adjustment option is only there if you have the adjustible M suspension.

wayner44 11-11-2012 10:11 PM

ohh cool thanks

windsor027 11-12-2012 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlukja (Post 7189194)
You can also tell through the iDrive system. When configuring sport setup it will ask you if you want the suspension to adjust when sport is selected. This suspension adjustment option is only there if you have the adjustible M suspension.

Very true. Plus if you have it you will feel the car's suspension tighten up considerably from comfort to sport. Its like you jumped in a different car. Now I can't validate this statement, I have test driven just one 335i in the BMW USA event that didn't have DHP and it wasn't a Sport Line model. It was a luxury model. From what I remember I would say the comfort level setting is a tat softer that the regular suspension on that car but in sport mode its almost certainly a bit stiffer than the regular sport suspension in the sport line (I test drove a sport line 335i extensively back in June). But because it still adjust to the type of road you are on it is still very comfortable

tim330i 11-12-2012 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner44 (Post 7187747)
A sure way to tell if the car has DHP is to pop the hood and see if there are wires coming from the top of the struts?

The strut actuators are on the side of the strut body and the wiring runs out of the wheel well with the ABS and other sensor wires. I do not believe you could tell from looking at the tops of the strut. If you turn the wheel to full lock you should be able to see the actuator on the rear side of the strut body. It sticks out at 90 degrees and is fairly obvious -

BMW M Adaptive F30 suspension

Tim

tturedraider 11-12-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner44 (Post 7185899)
Also one more question.

Do Sport lines without the DHP still have the sport+ option?

The answer to this question is yes. The other answer is that Sport + does nothing other than decrease the safety of the car for street driving. Sport + disables Traction Control. Nothing more.

tim330i 11-12-2012 08:35 AM

Because I already wrote this up, this clarifies what options give your F30 sport+ driver experience mode -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=639476

As tturedraider pointed out, sport+ does very little so if your F30 3 series doesn't have it you're not missing much.

wayner44 11-12-2012 07:30 PM

okay guys thanks