Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Tracking device on gas tank (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657160)

Laura Diaz 11-09-2012 10:25 AM

Tracking device on gas tank

Recently there was a tracking device placed on my car on the gas tank. Is this dangerous to the car?

I have been told there is a plastic covering on the tank and placing something on it is not in any way dangerous, is that true?

Laura Diaz 11-09-2012 10:27 AM

Tampering Brake Lines

I am falsely being accused of tampering with the break lines of a 740I BMW, is that even possible without lifting the car?

I took 2 years in high school auto shop in 1993, and that is the basis in which I am possibly "capable". I though BMW mechanics when through years of training.

Don't the brakes freeze if tampered with or lights go off?

rrtec 11-09-2012 10:40 AM

: popcorn: Grabs popcorn.... :tsk:

JasonSC540ia 11-09-2012 10:59 AM

Your going to have to elaborate more on your story. Im very curious toknow where this story is going. "Tracking device"? Falsely accused?

To answer your question: No you will not get a DSC light if you just pull the brake lines off or on. You will get the light if a wheel speed sensor is bad or abs control mod is bad, or brake fluid low. Now if you pulled the brake lines and didnt bleed them when you put them back on, it is possiable that some air made it up to the abs control mod and caused an error. If you had that much air in the system your brake pedal would feel spongy as hell and your car would not brake worth a $hit.:dunno:

JasonSC540ia 11-09-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrtec (Post 7185678)
: popcorn: Grabs popcorn.... :tsk:

Me too:eeps:

Laura Diaz 11-09-2012 11:21 AM

popcorn continuation

Ok so he's the deal since you guys grabbed popcorn ;)

I placed (or a PI did) a tracking device on a car my ex drives but it was not illegal because the car is under my name too

but he wants to make it "illegal" so he now takes the position that the brakes were tampered with!

he also said that the placement of the device on the gas tank made it dangerous and i put his life in danger

And since I took auto shop in 1987 in high school he says I could have done it.

but i think the car is too low to do anything to brakes unless lifted
he said the brake lines were cracked

OK so put down your popcorn now...
thoughts?

JasonSC540ia 11-09-2012 12:40 PM

And then......?

Im sure theres a lot more to this story then your letting on.

COME ON! juicy details!:D

Laura Diaz 11-09-2012 12:53 PM

details

check your inbox

uter 11-09-2012 04:29 PM

How can it be illegal to track your own car?

Laura Diaz 11-09-2012 04:33 PM

its not

Its not - that is why he made up the story that I placed him in danger by having the tracking device on it _ specifically on the gas tank

chrisn7 11-09-2012 05:44 PM

There would have to be a fuel source, such as a leaking tank, and an ignition source. E38 tanks can and do leak, but I can't see there being sparks from a tracking device

BMWFatherFigure 11-10-2012 04:32 AM

This is a hoot. The ex is a no-knowledge knob. Any qualified mechanic will get him laughed out of court. You could have shared the juicy stuff with all of us though..

joyism5 11-12-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura Diaz (Post 7185650)

I have been told there is a plastic covering on the tank and placing something on it is not in any way dangerous, is that true?

There is no pastic covering the tank, it is steel only. How was the tracking device being added to the fuel tank? Depending on how was added, it can pe dangerous or not. If it was added using a magnet device, it's not harmfull at all.