Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Stone chips repair on Black Sapphire Metallic (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657221)

terri_atl 11-09-2012 03:27 PM

Stone chips repair on Black Sapphire Metallic

Hi all, sent my car for a wash today and when it was done, I discovered under the very bright sun a couple of stone chips. Needless to say, I am upset.

So here I am, hoping someone here will give me good suggestions on how I should fix it. I heard stone chips need to be repair to prevent that area from rusting.

All constructive ideas are welcomed and much appreciated. Thank you!

Leekay07 11-09-2012 03:41 PM

only stone chips that go beyond the white base coat do you need to fix. Stone chips are going to happen we live on roads made by stones

terri_atl 11-09-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leekay07 (Post 7186224)
only stone chips that go beyond the white base coat do you need to fix. Stone chips are going to happen we live on roads made by stones

Hi there, I saw 2 white holes. If I don't fix them, won't the damage worsen?

I don't even know how it happens, I may sound scary, other than these 2 stone chips, my car has zero scratches/dents/holes and I have my car for over one and a half year :(

laser 11-09-2012 04:41 PM

Having multiple black cars in the garage I've done a bit of "triage" to the inevitable scrape and stone chip.

If you are wanting to do something yourself that's actually pretty easy.

First realize only you can see the stone chip ..... it's not visible to anyone else from more than 10 feet away.

Second, "do no harm" ..... don't do anything crazy like rattle canning with spray paint!

Google up some Black Sapphire Metallic touch up paint (Amazon or a BMW supplier) and throw away the brush that comes with. Use a toothpick or an artist brush to fill the hole and it will disappear.

Our cars are not going to rust in Atlanta unless you spill a "con sal" margarita on the chip spot!

terri_atl 11-09-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laser (Post 7186312)
Having multiple black cars in the garage I've done a bit of "triage" to the inevitable scrape and stone chip.

If you are wanting to do something yourself that's actually pretty easy.

First realize only you can see the stone chip ..... it's not visible to anyone else from more than 10 feet away.

Second, "do no harm" ..... don't do anything crazy like rattle canning with spray paint!

Google up some Black Sapphire Metallic touch up paint (Amazon or a BMW supplier) and throw away the brush that comes with. Use a toothpick or an artist brush to fill the hole and it will disappear.

Our cars are not going to rust in Atlanta unless you spill a "con sal" margarita on the chip spot!

Hello there!! Thank you so much for your input!

I really like the idea of using toothpick or artist brush. I will try to search some Black Sapphire Metallic touch up paint. I suppose not all sapphire metallic are the same? Do you think Global Imports will carry the paint?

People tend to say Atlanta is humid and how about rain? Won't rain if I do not dry the car caused rust? Sorry if I sound very ignorant.

Thank you again for your kind advice :)

laser 11-09-2012 05:46 PM

I bet Global does carry the touch up paint as BSM is a very popular color.

But really the tiny spot that is chipped won't be large enough display the color flecks embedded in BSM.

Most any black auto paint will do as all you are doing is hiding the white undercoat layer that is showing through.

Your car is not going to rust ...... this is just a little cosmetic touch up!

pointandgo 11-09-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terri_atl (Post 7186198)
Hi all, sent my car for a wash today and when it was done, I discovered under the very bright sun a couple of stone chips. Needless to say, I am upset.

So here I am, hoping someone here will give me good suggestions on how I should fix it. I heard stone chips need to be repair to prevent that area from rusting.

All constructive ideas are welcomed and much appreciated. Thank you!

I have the same color (last two cars). I swear by Dr. ColorChip...I've used it either professionally applied, or DIY for the last 12 years. All my cars have been black (jet black, or other variations). I'm quite satisfied with the results. As I "tracked" two of my BMWs, rock chips were an unfortunate result on the "nose" and lower "earo" part. The Dr. ColorChip treatment worked for me and it blended it quite well!

terri_atl 11-10-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laser (Post 7186420)
I bet Global does carry the touch up paint as BSM is a very popular color.

But really the tiny spot that is chipped won't be large enough display the color flecks embedded in BSM.

Most any black auto paint will do as all you are doing is hiding the white undercoat layer that is showing through.

Your car is not going to rust ...... this is just a little cosmetic touch up!

Thank you laser for your advice!! I really appreciate it :)

Have a wonderful weekday!! Hope you are out enjoying the gorgeous weather :)

terri_atl 11-10-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pointandgo (Post 7186700)
I have the same color (last two cars). I swear by Dr. ColorChip...I've used it either professionally applied, or DIY for the last 12 years. All my cars have been black (jet black, or other variations). I'm quite satisfied with the results. As I "tracked" two of my BMWs, rock chips were an unfortunate result on the "nose" and lower "earo" part. The Dr. ColorChip treatment worked for me and it blended it quite well!

Hi there!! Thank you so much! Your recommendation helps alot! :)

I will go search this brand online. Appreciate your posting here :) have a terrific weekend!

Tom K. 11-10-2012 03:39 PM

Although I won't own another black vehicle, I've had good results with Dr. Colorchip on my Platinum Bronze E91.

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

Tom

andrew b 11-10-2012 03:54 PM

Dr. Colorchip is good, but won't give you a smooth, flat finish (unless you go for multiple coats). langka is another system where you use regular touch up paint, and a special solvent to "level" the paint befire it has cured. Both work well.

You might want to take a look at THIS THREAD on chip repair with touch up paint you can get from the dealer, followed by wet sanding, compounding, and buffing. You can scroll down, I included photos so you can see if the chip is similar to yours, and the kind of results you can expect.

No matter how you go about it, I suggest getting touch up paint matched to your BMW, either with one of the kits or from your dealer. You can find the paint code under your hood, or check online where the kits are sold, many include the code and the name.

hondo402000 11-10-2012 04:13 PM

If you really want to do it right, and since I painted my Triumph TR6 by my self I think I got the plan.... if i were going to repair stone chips and not pay the body shop this is what I would do, clean the area to be touched up, put a tiny amount off filler in the chip, sand with 3000 grit paper, of course waiting the amount of time need per instructions to dry, get my air brush from harbor freight, spot prime, scuff, and spray the area lightly, and multiple coats of touch up paint, let dry and buff it out, you wouldnt know the chip was there, although I know this is probably beyond some. But if you get the materials, practice on cardboard most can do it. otherwise get a bottle of touch up paint and dab it on, wipe it smooth with your finger, let dry and buff it out

Hondo

terri_atl 11-12-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom K. (Post 7187671)
Although I won't own another black vehicle, I've had good results with Dr. Colorchip on my Platinum Bronze E91.

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

Tom

Hi Tom! Thank you for posting here. I really love black, I heard there is a type of coating that will protect the paint. But no one offers me that when I first got the car. If let me do it again, I will still get black but get it "sealed" to better protect it.

Will definitely research on Dr. Colorchip. Not sure I am handy enough to do this though :(

terri_atl 11-12-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew b (Post 7187695)
Dr. Colorchip is good, but won't give you a smooth, flat finish (unless you go for multiple coats). langka is another system where you use regular touch up paint, and a special solvent to "level" the paint befire it has cured. Both work well.

You might want to take a look at THIS THREAD on chip repair with touch up paint you can get from the dealer, followed by wet sanding, compounding, and buffing. You can scroll down, I included photos so you can see if the chip is similar to yours, and the kind of results you can expect.

No matter how you go about it, I suggest getting touch up paint matched to your BMW, either with one of the kits or from your dealer. You can find the paint code under your hood, or check online where the kits are sold, many include the code and the name.

Thank you so much! I will have go check out the thread you have provided. I hope that this is an easy fix, but reading a few of the postings that many have kindly left, I am not sure I have that type of talent.

Will read up about Lanka too. U mean before I use a touch up paint, I should use Lanka to "fill" up the hole?

Briefly looked through the thread, lots of information. Need to find time to digest them. Will try to take a pic of the two chips when there is sun. It's raining outside and looks like this is going to be a cloudy week. Thank you again!

terri_atl 11-12-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondo402000 (Post 7187709)
If you really want to do it right, and since I painted my Triumph TR6 by my self I think I got the plan.... if i were going to repair stone chips and not pay the body shop this is what I would do, clean the area to be touched up, put a tiny amount off filler in the chip, sand with 3000 grit paper, of course waiting the amount of time need per instructions to dry, get my air brush from harbor freight, spot prime, scuff, and spray the area lightly, and multiple coats of touch up paint, let dry and buff it out, you wouldnt know the chip was there, although I know this is probably beyond some. But if you get the materials, practice on cardboard most can do it. otherwise get a bottle of touch up paint and dab it on, wipe it smooth with your finger, let dry and buff it out

Hondo

Hi there! Thank you for your tips! I am so grateful many have given me great advice here. Currently I am so busy but I need to find time to do some readings and research on the things people suggested here. Guess my main concern is if I am capable of fixing those holes. I am never good in artwork :(

terri_atl 03-19-2013 06:21 AM

Hi all, thanks for all your input. Since the last time I posted, my car was "bruised" lightly on the right front with a 2.5" diameter when I drove into a very dark parking lot. I have sent the car to repair and the collision center at the dealership has offered to repair the stone chips at no charge.

terri_atl 03-19-2013 06:21 AM

Regardless, thank you for posting here :)