Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   decent sized oil leak (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657228)

cadieuxj 11-09-2012 03:52 PM

decent sized oil leak

2006 330xi. I'll try and get a pic of the leak. It's right above the front drive shaft u joint. An insulated line (wrapped in grey foam) that goes into the engine. I can squeeze the foam and oil comes out, it's soaked with oil all up that line...anyone know what that is?

cadieuxj 11-09-2012 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know it's hard to see but this is the pic. Right above the front u joint.

Salvator 11-09-2012 05:21 PM

Total guess... It's my understanding that the Vanos is hydraulically operated... Perhaps this line is connected to your Vanos?

cadieuxj 11-09-2012 05:34 PM

It's actually going into the tranny. So my guess is that it's a tranny coolant line, makes sense why it would be insulated. no idea why oil would be leaking from it....unless its tranny fluid..

Zeichen311 11-09-2012 06:32 PM

Are you sure oil is leaking from the line and not merely dripping steadily onto the line from some other source? If the line in question runs from the transmission to its cooler it will be filled with transmission fluid, not oil. The former usually looks, feels and smells quite different from engine oil. (The insulation may be as much to prevent damage from chafing or other contact as for heat control.)

Wild but experienced guess: Oil leak on the right side of a six-year-old BMW I6 fairly screams "valve cover gasket." If it is indeed oil, follow that line and look for leaks above it along its entire length. You may have had a steady drip onto the foam for some time that eventually saturated it through capillary action.

cadieuxj 11-09-2012 06:42 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've owned the car for a month now and the oil level on the dash hasn't moved, which I find odd since its obviously leaking

cadieuxj 11-09-2012 06:46 PM

Also the oil seemed to be on the inside of the foam, the outside wasn't as saturated.

Zeichen311 11-09-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadieuxj (Post 7186524)
Thanks for the advice. I've owned the car for a month now and the oil level on the dash hasn't moved, which I find odd since its obviously leaking

Also the oil seemed to be on the inside of the foam, the outside wasn't as saturated.

You might be astonished at how big of a mess you can make with just a half-cup of oil. ;) That amount wouldn't register on the dash readout and would be barely noticeable even on a conventional dipstick. Soaking that hose for much of its length might not require half that much.

Outside vs. inside may suggest the source is the hose but is far from conclusive. Oil dripping near one end of the insulation sleeve could easily be wicked inside. To rule out the hose itself you will need to remove that insulation and clean the hose thoroughly, which is likely a PITA (and you might not be able to replace the insulation without removing & reinstalling the hose--possibly a yet-bigger PITA). That's why I suggest checking everything nearby first.

Consider getting the car in the air, even if only on jackstands, removing the underbody splash shields and inspecting the area from below. Leaks are sometimes easier to track down from underneath the engine. You may also have better access to that hose to inspect it directly.

It is exceedingly rare for that type of line to spring a leak except at couplings or where it has been pinched, crushed or chafed. If you see no obvious signs of damage and it is not leaking from the crimp connections at either end (and from your photo, at least one end looks OK), the culprit is almost certainly somewhere else.

cadieuxj 11-09-2012 07:22 PM

loving the knowledge and willingness to help on this site. That shot was from underneath, with the guards off. Right where the insulation ends and it connects down to the trans. It's going in Monday for a separate issue ( chirping that the dealer says is the u joint on the front drive shaft, which is why I was looking around down there) so ill see what this Indy guy says. he also thinks my front drive shaft is fine, as do I after seeing no play or noise...but that's an issue for another thread!

Zeichen311 11-09-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadieuxj (Post 7186587)
That shot was from underneath, with the guards off.

:rofl: Well that explains why I couldn't figure out the location and angle of view! I thought it was a close-up from somewhere above. Good luck and please let us know the diagnosis.

cadieuxj 11-14-2012 09:22 AM

UPDATE: oil leak is from the PCV system. it's going in next week for a couple hoses to be replaced.