Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   iPhone connected to USB doesn't output audio to car speaker (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657354)

link01 11-10-2012 01:10 PM

iPhone connected to USB doesn't output audio to car speaker

I get this almost all the time. I step into my car, plug my iPhone into the USB jack. The iDrive then connects, but the music comes out of the iPhone speaker and not the car's speakers. I have unplug the USB and re-plug it 3 or 4 times before the audio comes out of the car's speakers. Anyone else get this issue... Or more importantly a solution?

Doug in NC 11-11-2012 03:51 PM

Do you have the BMW connector for the iPhone? You can play music from the iPhone using Bluetooth.

link01 11-11-2012 11:50 PM

What is the BMW connector? I have a USB dock connector going from the center console to the iPhone.

I don't like using the bluetooth for the music cause bluetooth output is lower fidelity audio, plus you can't navigate the music playlists, albums, etc through the iDrive display with the bluetooth.

slambmw 11-12-2012 06:31 AM

There is another Y shaped connector that uses the USB powering the IPhone, but the other wire uses the headphone jack to play the music. You control the song list through IDrive. Not sure if there is a new connector for the IPhone 5.

gfeiner 11-12-2012 12:22 PM

My iphone 4 (and now iphone 5) transmit audio to the X3 just fine when connected to the usb connector in the center console.

April1 11-13-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by link01 (Post 7187447)
I get this almost all the time. I step into my car, plug my iPhone into the USB jack. The iDrive then connects, but the music comes out of the iPhone speaker and not the car's speakers. I have unplug the USB and re-plug it 3 or 4 times before the audio comes out of the car's speakers. Anyone else get this issue... Or more importantly a solution?

You have to select External Devices and then USB. It should work

SpaceManGray 11-15-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by link01 (Post 7187447)
Anyone else get this issue...

No, mine works fine first time. Does your phone do this on any similar systems that offer dock connector control, such as boom boxes or speakers with docks? If so, it's probably the phone, if not then it's probably your car.

link01 11-16-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by April1 (Post 7192116)
You have to select External Devices and then USB. It should work

I do that.. when I get to "External Devices" it shows my phone over USB. Same result.

link01 11-16-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceManGray (Post 7196304)
No, mine works fine first time. Does your phone do this on any similar systems that offer dock connector control, such as boom boxes or speakers with docks? If so, it's probably the phone, if not then it's probably your car.

Good suggestion... I just don't have any other systems with a dock connector control.

link01 11-25-2012 05:49 PM

Ok I figured out a solution. Though I still don't know why it happens. When I plug the iPhone into the USB dock connector and start hearing the music coming from the iPhone's speakers, I open the Music app (and it has an Accessories Connected screen showing) then I hold down the home button. The Voice input screen comes up and I cancel that. Then the music starts playing through my car's speakers. I've done this same technique 3 times already and it works. Also after doing this, the Music app then has a bar at the bottom of the screen saying the music is playing through "Dock Connector".