Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Help with battery vs alternator (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657500)

trauma1 11-11-2012 12:14 PM

Help with battery vs alternator

I have a 2004 x3 and car wouldn't start-heard the tell tale click-click-click. AAA came out and found the battery had a low charge and jumped it. When they tested the voltage across the battery with it running, they said the alternator seems ok(no ripples). Going to get a new battery-the one I have is the original.
Should I still be worried that the alternator could be an issue?

can0n4 11-11-2012 12:50 PM

You need a new battery regardless so just do taht. 2004 on the original battery, its about time it dies. Alternator should not be replaced unless you aren't getting a charge, its not a common thing to change as preventative maintenance, especially if it tested good. Summary.... dont' get a new alternator.

Bmwx3RJ 11-12-2012 07:56 PM

Same thing

I've been having the same issues with my battery. It has only been getting worse and I still have the original battery. What do you think a reasonable price is for a new battery?

peter_cd.cn 11-14-2012 07:56 PM

I changed my battery for an after market one

My changed at a local auto shop. Bought an aftermarket battery. The battery match and over achieved the factory requirements, but now the battery will die if I don't drive the car for more than 1 week. Checked the battery condition at multiple repair shops, and passed check.

Don't know why...:mad:

I suggest you find a dealer to do this.

mlukas161 11-14-2012 08:06 PM

I recommend you don't go to a dealer for this. Expect to pay around 180 for a decent battery. Go to autozone or NAPA. It'll have a breather vent on top of the battery.

The dealer will charge you 500 dollars for something that takes 5 minutes to change.

ProRail 11-14-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlukas161 (Post 7195772)
I recommend you don't go to a dealer for this. Expect to pay around 180 for a decent battery. Go to autozone or NAPA. It'll have a breather vent on top of the battery.

The dealer will charge you 500 dollars for something that takes 5 minutes to change.

If you don't go to a dealer at least go to an indie shop that knows about BMWs, or your car will not recharge your battery.

blingin96 11-14-2012 08:15 PM

If you don't drive your car regularly it will die. You might consider a trickle charger. I have one on my Harley and my show car. They're only about $35.00

x3oiler 11-15-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_cd.cn (Post 7195753)
My changed at a local auto shop. Bought an aftermarket battery. The battery match and over achieved the factory requirements, but now the battery will die if I don't drive the car for more than 1 week. Checked the battery condition at multiple repair shops, and passed check.

Don't know why...:mad:

I suggest you find a dealer to do this.

There are a number of items in the X3 known to NOT shut down when you turn off the ignition. For me - it is the stereo head unit. To test if this is your issue make sure you turn off the stereo manually before ignition off for a while. See how you go = especially if parking for a long time period.
If no difference then search this forum - there are a few causes for excess drain on the battery when the car is "supposed" to be off.

mlukas161 11-15-2012 06:05 AM

I really think the problem is just the battery being 9 years old.

peter_cd.cn 11-15-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x3oiler (Post 7196215)
There are a number of items in the X3 known to NOT shut down when you turn off the ignition. For me - it is the stereo head unit. To test if this is your issue make sure you turn off the stereo manually before ignition off for a while. See how you go = especially if parking for a long time period.
If no difference then search this forum - there are a few causes for excess drain on the battery when the car is "supposed" to be off.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I will give a try next time I know I will park it for over a week.

I suspect something is draining battery. Because even the key is off ignition, and I can hear a buzzing noise in the car. Something is not powered off.

blingin96 11-15-2012 10:24 AM

I have the same buzzing noise. Mine however shuts off in around 3-5min. Not sure what it is. I think it's my electric fuel pump.

artinstead 12-09-2012 01:35 PM

ran trickle charger but..

car starts ok but the battery window showed no green, instead a black window. I charged overnight with bmw charger and the final steady green lite on the charger indicated that the battery supposedly was fully charged. I disconnected the charger but the battery still shows a black window. Car starts fine but can't get a cursed green window on the batt. Car is '05, don't know batt age.

Supercourse 12-09-2012 02:58 PM

If you took the battery out and gave it a bit of a shake the little hydrometer might unstick to let the green ball float up.

But it might not - just means that at least one of the 6 cells is not that healthy, but battery still measures at least 12.6V at the posts.

Starting may not be a problem, but losing charge when left for a few days might mean more chance of strange electronic things happening with sensors and warning lights.

If it doesn't show green after a good highway drive and bumping around potholes I'd replace it - 8 years isn't bad for an O.E. battery.

bmwbob89 12-09-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blingin96 (Post 7196755)
I have the same buzzing noise. Mine however shuts off in around 3-5min. Not sure what it is. I think it's my electric fuel pump.

The noise is most likely the interior temp sensor fan in the heater panel. Take a listen and see . It should power down after a while.

blingin96 12-09-2012 05:14 PM

I found a small battery drain on my car the other day. My glove box light was staying on. The pressure switch in the glove box was faulty. (Just another thing to check out).

Evlengr 12-09-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blingin96 (Post 7196755)

Its a venting system for some charcoal filter in the rear area.

Not sure if anyone mentioned, but the famous parasitic drain is usually the blue tooth not shutting down if you have it.

John320 12-10-2012 09:17 AM

I just had a similar experience with the black spot in my battery: poor, to no crank over power, Black spot wouldn’t go away even after charging the battery with a 6amp charger.
Called the Automobile Association to come and diagnose the problem. They checked the charging system - it was fine, no real drain, battery showed it needed a charge but was ok - well then it had to be the battery - couldn’t hold a charge, only 4 ˝ years old. So looked for an after market one, but couldn’t find one in stock that would fit properly ( height problem), so went to my BMW dealer and was pleasantly surprised that the old battery type had been replaced by a new larger one 720 cold cranking amps from 650 (about an inch longer as well) No coding required they said- close enough to original. I had taken a couple of tools, so just bought it and changed at the lot - 5 minute job -then they took my old battery back. All is good-back in action.

Watty3113 12-10-2012 09:46 PM

Replaced my battery on my 06 x3 today. Reset my clock and drove to work. It sat there for a couple hours and when I turned it on the clock was reading --:-- reset clock then drove about 20 minutes. Parked and was inside for about 15 minutes. When I turned it back on the clock read --:-- again. Any idea what could be causing this?

Supercourse 12-10-2012 10:03 PM

Check fuse #9 (5 amp.) and replace if blown

It provides constant power to the on-board computer (OBC).

With only ignition-switched power the time and trip meter both get reset when ignition turned off.

Fues may have blown from a spike when new battery was connected up, or from a prior jump start.

This has been reported several times here, all 2006 models - but I can't see that is anything but coincidence.