Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Traction Control (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657556)

Fried Chicken 11-11-2012 04:22 PM

Traction Control

Has anyone turned the traction control really off?

Wwhooooooowww you gotta be awake.

Fast Bob 11-11-2012 04:44 PM

First experience driving a hotrod, Sport ? :rofl:

(It`s not THAT fast....)

cwsqbm 11-11-2012 06:10 PM

I prefer to be awake when driving.

The beauty of a BMW is that it handles well without traction control, instead of using stability control to mask bad handling. Just remember, even on, it can't repeal the laws of physics. I suggest to the OP to attend some car control clinics put on by his local BMW car club to learn how to control the car in a proper setting.

Fried Chicken 11-11-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwsqbm (Post 7189181)

The beauty of a BMW is that it handles well without traction control, instead of using stability control to mask bad handling. Just remember, even on, it can't repeal the laws of physics. I suggest to the OP to attend some car control clinics put on by his local BMW car club to learn how to control the car in a proper setting.

There's 2 settings for off...
There's off and there's really off (hold button for 5 seconds).

I realize now that the traction control has likely saved my life haha based on how I was driving with the traction control "off" but the car still not spinning or anything.

cwsqbm 11-11-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Chicken (Post 7189206)
I realize now that the traction control has likely saved my life haha based on how I was driving with the traction control "off" but the car still not spinning or anything.

Yea, I know. That's why I suggest you take a car control clinic. People should know how to really control a car, so that they don't exceed what the computer can compensate for. The car is relatively stable at its limit even with the stability control off, as long as you don't do something stupid.

I learned to drive before traction control existed, and I've spent my share of time with the traction control off in my E46: :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ffhUU-_AA

TannerT 11-11-2012 08:42 PM

Haha pretty fun time huh? I find my self obeying speed limits on open highways and doing 20-30 over on country roads. even outran a Yamaha R6, He helped me find out I can make Route K in Columbia doing 90+. As was stated earlier I would recommend a high performance driving school, I have a lot of experience racing autocross in formula light cars(That's how I justify driving like a maniac.)

bmw330ci04 11-11-2012 08:56 PM

I love how you have to hold it to fully deactivate the traction control. It's like when that yellow "brake" light comes in the car says "sweeeeeeeet, I'm really gonna get driven now"

lgr122 11-11-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Chicken (Post 7189010)
Has anyone turned the traction control really off?

Wwhooooooowww you gotta be awake.

Yeah, that's how to do tighter U-turn than possible otherwise, but in the name of saving tires i do that only now in winter time. :thumbup:
Would like to play bit more but should have some empty icy/snowy parking lot to really have fun.

Fried Chicken 11-11-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgr122 (Post 7189525)
Yeah, that's how to do tighter U-turn than possible otherwise, but in the name of saving tires i do that only now in winter time. :thumbup:
Would like to play bit more but should have some empty icy/snowy parking lot to really have fun.

I thought the open differential would just keep you from spinning around.
Our volvo wouldn't do a U-Turn this way, and I doubt it has traction control.

lgr122 11-11-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Chicken (Post 7189538)

It requires slippery surface or lots of power. (and traction control off)
Just turn wheel and press accelerator to the bottom, rear wheels slide and you're instantly turned around, but should also let go of accelerator and correct steering right moment, otherwise you keep doing circles instead of just U-turn.

Anyway in the name of safety it's good to see that noone is coming right when you do that. There is risk of hitting something, if anything is too close.

FWD cars can do basically same, but they need to use hand brake.

If you know what you're doing, sliding on ice is kind of safer way to practice than sliding on dry asphalt, because on ice sliding happens already in much lower speed.

cwsqbm 11-12-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Chicken (Post 7189538)

An open diff will make it hard (or impossible) to do continuous donuts, but simple 180 is easy.

During hard cornering, the tail can come out with an open diff. Consider you're at the car's limit of adhesion. If you put too much power down, the inside tire will spin and loose traction. Now the outside tire has the entire job of supplying lateral acceleration and is overwhelmed, resulting in a slide or spin. It won't result in multiple donuts because one spinning tire means that forward moment is being bleed off quickly and the non-powered tire will generally (on dry pavement at least) regain traction on its own as the requirement for lateral acceleration drops off with the slowing of the car. It means that excessive counter-steering and lifting isn't necessarily the right action, as once the rear regains grip, the car will then spin the other way if the wheel isn't straightened pronto. That why you can find plenty of videos online where the car starts to slide one way and then crashes in the other direction.

Where did I practice when I was young? The large parking lot of an out-of-business store that wasn't entirely visible from the road. The key was, do a few things, and then leave before the neighbors called the cops. Just watch out for light posts.

Chris90 11-12-2012 11:19 AM

I find you can get the car fairly sideways with the single press of the button, so that's how I drive. Putting 225s on the rear of my ZHP makes it much more neutral too, and pretty easy to get it a little sideways.

255s in the back are silly in a car with 235 hp.

Fast Bob 11-12-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris90 (Post 7190388)
. Putting 225s on the rear of my ZHP makes it much more neutral too, and pretty easy to get it a little sideways.

255s in the back are silly in a car with 235 hp.

So....ya do a lil` backyard engineering, and put the 255s on the front, 225s on the rear, and suck that nasty understeer right out of the equation.... :bigpimp:

(It`s fun....I tried it once, just for a goof)

TopazTim325 11-12-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwsqbm (Post 7189181)

^^ This. I just spent 2 days flinging the car around a track (Thunderhill Raceway), working the tires for all they were worth, and didn't light up the traction control once. I only fully disengage the system at autocross. High g's may be fun, but a smooth line and smooth inputs make for fast laps. :thumbup:

roverT 11-13-2012 10:35 AM

Practice your new found car trick in nice slippery snow/ice filled parking lots with no poles or concrete slab bump stops! Learn how just a tad more speed can make the difference in a recoverable slide vs unrecoverable. It's not much and you'll quickly learn the respect you need when operating a car at it's limits of adhesion.

I've gone through a bunch of autoX, track, road skills, high performance driver training, vehicles on hydraulic training wheels on skid pads, and 500+ hp race cars on ovals. All those have taught me the skill to keep a car in control and how to handle it at the limit. But I have found an hour in a snow filled empty parking lot has taught me the more about recovering from an out of control situation. I often don't want to put myself into a spin or slide on the track while moving at breakneck speeds. LOL. The slippery iced up parking lot offers a nice low speed of what to expect and feel on public roads should anything happen. :D

Doing all this doesn't make one perfect by any means...I have still come close to near Effff up at times due to my male needs of pushing the boundaries of physics. LOL

Chris90 11-13-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopazTim325 (Post 7190915)
^^ This. I just spent 2 days flinging the car around a track (Thunderhill Raceway), working the tires for all they were worth, and didn't light up the traction control once. I only fully disengage the system at autocross. High g's may be fun, but a smooth line and smooth inputs make for fast laps. :thumbup:

Sounds like you need a supercharger. :)

halltristan 11-13-2012 10:53 AM

Doesn't turning of DSC make it possible to peel out? Seem like I saw a video where they had an old 5 series and could not get it to peel out with DSC on.

roverT 11-13-2012 11:01 AM

Pressing the DSC button quickly will turn off Automatic Stability Control. It'll let the rear wheel(s) spin freely upon more throttle input than the tire could adhere to the ground. Once the vehicle goes sideways in a slide Dynamic Stability Control will intervene and put a stop to the spinning braking the individual corners that it needs to put the car back into the steering wheels intended direction. Holding the DSC button will turn everything off and letting you loose to become the craziest MoFo you can ever be. Just don't be destroying street lamp poles and curbs when having that much fun. :P

lgr122 11-13-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halltristan (Post 7192346)
Doesn't turning of DSC make it possible to peel out? Seem like I saw a video where they had an old 5 series and could not get it to peel out with DSC on.

How old 5 series?
I have e46 year 2000 and i have only ASC, traction control exist but no active stability control. Might be that some old 5 series can also have more old fashioned system.

Anyway i like how this ASC works, it allows bit of sliding, so can do quite comfortable "maximum attack" and still no worries about hitting something.

flyinbrick 11-14-2012 10:51 PM

Really? Even with just ASC on, seems I still can't get near the edge without power cutting off. Turn it all off and my wife keeps thinking there's something wrong with my brakes.

heztheone 11-14-2012 10:56 PM

stock non ///M E46 does not have that much power to have a dramatic wheel spin (with good, not worn, tires of course), i don't know why they created the 2 button sequence, 1 button for all should be enough IMO :dunno:

Fried Chicken 11-14-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heztheone (Post 7196004)
stock non ///M E46 does not have that much power to have a dramatic wheel spin (with good, not worn, tires of course), i don't know why they created the 2 button sequence, 1 button for all should be enough IMO :dunno:

I really appreciate the feature, I can play around in traffic without accidentally manslaughtering anyone... Then whenever I get the mood I can vehicularly manslaughter pedestrians.

heztheone 11-14-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Chicken (Post 7196014)
I really appreciate the feature, I can play around in traffic without accidentally manslaughtering anyone... Then whenever I get the mood I can vehicularly manslaughter pedestrians.

:eeps:

roverT 11-15-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Chicken (Post 7196014)

What he said! :thumbup:

LOL....Go for the spare or the strike!!

:confused: Humour aside our vehicles have enough power to do things that insurance companies would love to increase our rates should they see what an E46 can do. :angel:

In the snow I'll drive with the first stage off because it allows me to accelerate with a bit of wheel spin to get an efficient start. On some hardcore uphills I need that slip to maintain speed or else ASC brings the vehicle to a stop which means crashing the party for a RWD on a slippery incline. It's also nice to know should the vehicle start to rotate while in this mode, DSC is still on to save my butt. No pun intended. :bigpimp:

Chris90 11-15-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgr122 (Post 7192444)
How old 5 series?
I have e46 year 2000 and i have only ASC, traction control exist but no active stability control. Might be that some old 5 series can also have more old fashioned system.

All US E46s have active stability control, unless it was different in Europe. :dunno: