Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Low Tire Question (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657653)

sr5959 11-12-2012 09:59 AM

Low Tire Question

Hi guys, had a low tire warning yesterday, and when I checked the tire it was half normal pressure so I think I'll have to repair or replace. I have about 10k miles on the car so do I have to replace both rear tires? I have 17" Conti all-seasons. Thanks!

tturedraider 11-12-2012 10:12 AM

First see if the tire can be repaired. You guys have Discount/America's Tire, right?

jlukja 11-12-2012 11:23 AM

^^ agree. Sounds like a slow leak. If the puncture is on the tread part of the tire then it might be an easy fix. A puncture on the sidewall part, not so much.

sr5959 11-12-2012 11:29 AM

Yes we do have Discount Tire I will try getting the puncture repaired. From what I've read on these forums about run-flats, if the nail or whatever is on the tread part it can be repaired, is that correct?

I can't see anything in the tire but pretty sure it's a slow leak. I filled all tires to 32psi and the 'low-tire' warning went off and I was able to drive 15 miles to work without any further issues.

floydarogers 11-12-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 7190072)
First see if the tire can be repaired. You guys have Discount/America's Tire, right?

+ Although a BMW dealer won't repair it, pretty much any independent tire store will. Yeah, you shouldn't drive it like it's an H-rated tire any more, but a repair is far more cost-effective than replacing it.

jlukja 11-12-2012 11:43 AM

The key is that the tire be carefully inspected to make sure that whatever caused the puncture is not still in the tire. On my previous car I had a slow leak that lost 5psi per week. I was tempted to just use tire seal. Then, upon careful inspection, I found a bent nail still in the tread. The tire seal might have completed the seal but further driving might have caused a more serious problem.

sr5959 11-12-2012 11:59 AM

I just checked on TireRack, good news is the tires are only $203. But the site also mentions there is a manufaturer's road-hazard warranty for the first year. Do you guys think that would cover this, and if so do I just contact the dealer to claim a new tire on this? Thanks.

crazyeyeskilla 11-13-2012 02:15 PM

I just repaired a nail hole this AM in one of my Contis. This has happened several times since getting the car and it's ridiculous to replace tires just because of a slow leak. The TPM tells you right away when it's low so you know you aren't driving on it for miles, ruining it. Just put some air in it and drive it to a good tire shop (i.e. one competent at breaking/reseating high performance tire beads). As long as the puncture is small and in the tread, you're good to go.

sr5959 11-13-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyeyeskilla (Post 7192689)
I just repaired a nail hole this AM in one of my Contis. This has happened several times since getting the car and it's ridiculous to replace tires just because of a slow leak. The TPM tells you right away when it's low so you know you aren't driving on it for miles, ruining it. Just put some air in it and drive it to a good tire shop (i.e. one competent at breaking/reseating high performance tire beads). As long as the puncture is small and in the tread, you're good to go.

Yes I just called my local Discount Tire they said they could fix it for free if the puncture is in the tread. Also I checked the tire warranty and if the tires are OE Road Hazard is not covered.

Since I re-inflated the tire yesterday have not seen the warning again so wondering if I do actually have a puncture.

The X Men 11-13-2012 04:47 PM

See if your local Discount Tire store offer road hazard warranty, my did, it was $50 for each tire. You can insured all 4 even if you just buy one there. Its 100% replacment the 1st year and pro-rated for the life of thr tire according to the tire thread.

sr5959 11-13-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The X Men (Post 7192968)
See if your local Discount Tire store offer road hazard warranty, my did, it was $50 for each tire. You can insured all 4 even if you just buy one there. Its 100% replacment the 1st year and pro-rated for the life of thr tire according to the tire thread.

Thanks for the tip, I will when I buy some from them. For now they just repaired my tire for free which is very decent of them. Discount Tire in Kirkland, WA.

tturedraider 11-13-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr5959 (Post 7193053)
Thanks for the tip, I will when I buy some from them. For now they just repaired my tire for free which is very decent of them. Discount Tire in Kirkland, WA.

Glad to hear it. Discount is a pretty good outfit.