Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   NY / NJ / CT (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Snow tires switch out and storage service for NJ/NY (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657662)

switchandstore 11-12-2012 09:28 AM

Snow tires switch out and storage service for NJ/NY

Hi Bimmerfest Users,
I'm a new sponsor to the site and I wanted to introduce a service I just launched for the northern NJ and NYC area. It's called Switch and Store.

For the past 15+ years, I put snow tires onto my BMW's every winter and it was a pain in the butt. I'd usually get aftermarket rims for my summers and then use my stock rims for winters, but I'd still have to jack up the car and change out all 4 tires/rims each season. It wasn't so bad when I was in my 20's, but now that I'm pushing 40 I'm just too busy to do it myself. The last few years, I've been loading up all the tires/rims into my car and have a local mechanic do it. Then I'd haul back the tires/rims to my home garage taking up space in my tight garage which would kinda piss off my wife. So this year, I decided to start a business offering a service where we come out to you, switch out your tires/rims, and then put them into a warehouse for the season. Here's my website if you want to check it out: www.switchandstore.com.

Because this is a new business, I'm not exactly sure how big the market is, but I'd love to know what you guys think. I know ideally it would be good to have a mobile mounting/balancing machine to service people who don't have snows mounted on an extra set of rims, but the machines are pretty expensive and big (I'd need a Sprinter, box truck, or trailer). I figure there have to be enough guys like me out there who would use this service so I decided to put the business together. I'm also trying to sell the service wholesale to garages and tire dealers so people without rims can still have storage. I may eventually sell tires along with the service as well.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sean..._a_

gekisai29 11-15-2012 07:13 PM

great idea but seems as if some dealers are strting to offer the service as well so price & quality of service will be paramount

lexhair 11-24-2012 09:39 AM

My local tire guy (southern Westchester) does offseason tire storage for $100 per season.

switchandstore 11-26-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gekisai29 (Post 7197688)
great idea but seems as if some dealers are strting to offer the service as well so price & quality of service will be paramount

We recently went through a pricing comparison with some local dealers.

Pace BMW - they were charging $2900 for snow tires and stock rims with free storage, but they were charging $75 each time to put your car onto a lift to do each changeover. They basically overcharge a lot on the tires/rims. The $75 x 2 times a year ends up being significant too. Our service ends up being cheaper and you also have the flexibility to get nicer looking aftermarket rims.

Manhattan BMW - they're trying to charge $1000 for storage which is plain nuts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexhair (Post 7211434)
My local tire guy (southern Westchester) does offseason tire storage for $100 per season.

$100 per season is not bad, but you're still having to go to them versus our service where we come to you. We may cost more, but it's the convenience that you're also buying.

Looks like this winter is shaping up to be a bad winter. Another snow storm rolling through the NY metro area.