Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Brake wear information - WHERE is it? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657714)

yogi799 11-12-2012 01:18 PM

Brake wear information - WHERE is it?

Sorry for a dumb question, but where do you guys check for brake wear information? I see noting in my system. Looked where the oil level and flat monitor info sits and nothing about brakes whatsoever.

Needsdecaf 11-12-2012 06:36 PM

It's in that same vehicle status menu, there's something about service required. Don't remember off the top of my head....

Lists inspections, front brakes, rear brakes, brake fluid, overall vehicle check.

markl53 11-12-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf (Post 7191203)
It's in that same vehicle status menu, there's something about service required. Don't remember off the top of my head....

Lists inspections, front brakes, rear brakes, brake fluid, overall vehicle check.

Yes, it's in the list of service items, separate for front and rear brakes. However, I think that is just the recommended interval, I don't think there is any active monitoring of the actual pads, certainly not the rotors. The car (like all others) is equipped with pad "wear indicators" that will emit loud screeching sounds (while NOT braking) when the pads are reaching end of life. Most likely, your dealer will have checked the pad wear long before that occurs during an oil change or other matinenance visit. Oh, I've owned 3 BMW's, and have never changed a brake pad (or tire, for that matter). The "oldest" of my previous BMW's had about 46K miles and the pads still had plenty of wear left.

Needsdecaf 11-12-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markl53 (Post 7191359)
Yes, it's in the list of service items, separate for front and rear brakes. However, I think that is just the recommended interval, I don't think there is any active monitoring of the actual pads, certainly not the rotors. The car (like all others) is equipped with pad "wear indicators" that will emit loud screeching sounds (while NOT braking) when the pads are reaching end of life. Most likely, your dealer will have checked the pad wear long before that occurs during an oil change or other matinenance visit. Oh, I've owned 3 BMW's, and have never changed a brake pad (or tire, for that matter). The "oldest" of my previous BMW's had about 46K miles and the pads still had plenty of wear left.

There's no monitoring, you are correct. It's based on an algorithm. It does change. My car has needed rear brakes in "2,500 miles" for about 15k now. LOL.

yogi799 11-12-2012 09:15 PM

OK, so perhaps the reason I cannot find that stupid thing is because it's useless to begin with. Thanks guys. Case closed.

markl53 11-13-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogi799 (Post 7191524)
OK, so perhaps the reason I cannot find that stupid thing is because it's useless to begin with. Thanks guys. Case closed.

I don't know if it's useless, but like we said, it is in the list of other service items shown on your iDrive. Go to "Settings", "Vehicle Status". Scroll down to the vehicle icon, under the oil check icon and you will see the list of service items with current mileage/time indicators.

dunccfp 11-13-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markl53 (Post 7191359)

The wear sensors are wired in and the car will tell you when it needs new pads. The mileage on the idrive is often very inaccurate

yogi799 11-13-2012 09:25 PM

OK, I've found it... after a 1.5 yrs of ownership... It was a bit cumbersome getting to it. I had to choose Service Required, which is a weird name in itself (it suggests a service is required). And then the values in kms showed on a right hand side... I almost missed them again. Not the greatest and most intuitive design if you ask me, but on the positive side, after 26000 kms, my brake pads seem to be good for another 29000 which is nice considering my driving style...

Gilgorm 11-13-2012 10:11 PM

I have lost faith in the sensors. After the initial 300km my rear sensor said 30,000km I went to the dealer and they reset them to 50,000km. Within 1,000km they then read 30,000km again. Now at 4,000km the sensors read 18,000km. The rears are wearing much faster than the fronts which is a first for me in any car I have owned. I guess time will tell.

dunccfp 11-14-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilgorm (Post 7193752)
I have lost faith in the sensors. After the initial 300km my rear sensor said 30,000km I went to the dealer and they reset them to 50,000km. Within 1,000km they then read 30,000km again. Now at 4,000km the sensors read 18,000km. The rears are wearing much faster than the fronts which is a first for me in any car I have owned. I guess time will tell.

Its not the sensors that do that. The sensors only alert you when the wear gets to the point of needing new pads period. The idrive mileage estimate is just that and as I said before often inaccurate

markl53 11-14-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogi799 (Post 7193708)
OK, I've found it... after a 1.5 yrs of ownership... It was a bit cumbersome getting to it. I had to choose Service Required, which is a weird name in itself (it suggests a service is required). And then the values in kms showed on a right hand side... I almost missed them again. Not the greatest and most intuitive design if you ask me, but on the positive side, after 26000 kms, my brake pads seem to be good for another 29000 which is nice considering my driving style...

It's a list of service items required, and approximately when they're coming due. What should it be called?