Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   4 Series Coupe (F32) to Make Debut at 2013 Detroit Auto Show? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657783)

pix335i 11-12-2012 06:14 PM

4 Series Coupe (F32) to Make Debut at 2013 Detroit Auto Show?

4 Series Coupe

If you believe Car and Driver, the countdown for the 4 Series Coupe debuting has started with the car set to be shown off at the Detroit Auto Show.

Quote:

The wait for the F30-generation 3-series coupe is coming to an end, however. At January's Detroit auto show, BMW will unveil a 3-series–based two-door concept, previewing the next-gen 3-series coupe. However, we're hearing from European sources that the Bavarians finally will change their nomenclature and call this car the 4-series, although BMW hasn't confirmed that.
Read the full article at CarandDriver.com

Click here for more pictures of the F32 4 series coupe fully exposed

tturedraider 11-12-2012 06:35 PM

As I've said many times, 4 Series = stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.

I do plan to be at the Detroit auto show.

Michael Schott 11-12-2012 07:05 PM

The article says its a concept previewing the 4 series, not the introduction of the coupe.

tturedraider 11-12-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Schott (Post 7191275)
The article says its a concept previewing the 4 series, not the introduction of the coupe.

It will most likely be a very thinly veiled version of the real thing.

DerekS 11-12-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 7191202)
As I've said many times, 4 Series = stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.

Agreed ! Calling the series a 4er would be a big mistake, especially for the Asian markets like China and Japan, where the number 4 (shi) can also translate into "death" !

Here in Vancouver with its large Asian population, no modern high rise condo building is built with a 4th floor. Civic addresses in Vancouver are also routinely changed to delete number 4s where possible.

A huge percentage of new BMWs sold in the Western Canadian market are bought by Asians (mostly Chinese). If BMW actually introduces a 4 Series, their sales would be severely curtailed in this market also by the presence of a No.4 designation.

Listen up BMW: forget the idea of a "4" Series. This would be a huge error in marketing ! :thumbdwn:

-=Hot|Ice=- 11-12-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekS (Post 7191294)
Agreed ! Calling the series a 4er would be a big mistake, especially for the Asian markets like China and Japan, where the number 4 (shi) can also translate into "death" !

Here in Vancouver with its large Asian population, no modern high rise condo building is built with a 4th floor. Civic addresses in Vancouver are also routinely changed to delete number 4s where possible.

A huge percentage of new BMWs sold in the Western Canadian market are bought by Asians (mostly Chinese). If BMW actually introduces a 4 Series, their sales would be severely curtailed in this market also by the presence of a No.4 designation.

Listen up BMW: forget the idea of a "4" Series. This would be a huge error in marketing ! :thumbdwn:

Simple solution: Keep the 3 series badging in Asian markets. Problem solved.

bayoucity 11-12-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

So, how is A4 doing ? ;)

tturedraider 11-12-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- (Post 7191481)
Simple solution: Keep the 3 series badging in Asian markets. Problem solved.

Simpler solution - just leave alone the iconic 3 Series name that started out as a two door, that has 40 years of history and cache, that made BMW the brand it is today, just leave it alone, period.

DerekS 11-12-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayoucity (Post 7191497)
So, how is A4 doing ? ;)

Far fewer sales in Canada compared to 3 Series.

DerekS 11-12-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 7191542)
Simpler solution - just leave alone the iconic 3 Series name that started out as a two door, that has 40 years of history and cache, that made BMW the brand it is today, just leave it alone, period.

Sounds like a smart plan to me !

Mark K 11-13-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Not to mention that "vierer" can sound like something rather nasty to a non-native speaker. But then, "dreier" does sound like laundry appliance, too and that is not preventing big sales numbers. Marketing is overrated. :)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer App

-=Hot|Ice=- 11-13-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 7191542)

I'm with you but the that unfortunately, BMW has to water down the brand.

boltjaM3s 11-13-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- (Post 7191963)
I'm with you but the that unfortunately, BMW has to water down the brand.

There are some amazing spy shots that just broke today of a pre-production F32 435i with very little camo in what looks like M-Sport configuration.

You don't want to Google it, trust me.

BJ

Alpine300ZHP 11-13-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7191986)
There are some amazing spy shots that just broke today of a pre-production F32 435i with very little camo in what looks like M-Sport configuration.

You don't want to Google it, trust me.

BJ

I agree. It is ugly with those black side vents. I was waiting for the 4 series coupe thinking that might be my next car. Now I am thinking the 650 will be my next car. Not liking that 4 series at all. If I was ready for a new car now I would order a E92 M3 coupe.....

tturedraider 11-13-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP (Post 7192141)
I agree. It is ugly with those black side vents. I was waiting for the 4 series coupe thinking that might be my next car. Now I am thinking the 650 will be my next car. Not liking that 4 series at all. If I was ready for a new car now I would order a E92 M3 coupe.....

I seriously doubt those side thingies will make it into production in black as shown in those photos. I certainly hope not.

tim330i 11-13-2012 01:44 PM

We now have a fully gallery of F32 4 series spy shots showing the 2014 4 series 440i almost completely exposed!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=657959

pablo645 11-17-2012 08:34 AM

Yep, BMW is officially becoming the water down brand. Which segment of the market this 4 series model going after? The rate at which they are going I might see a 12 series in my life time. Two thumbs down on this one.